In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What caliber is a 12 gauge?

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Is it 50? Which shotgun is 50 caliber?

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    offeror....

A 12 gauge is approx. 73 caliber. The closest shotgun to 50 caliber is the 28 ga.

BTW... 28 ga. is still larger than 50 caliber.

On second thought, try this link... it should answer your question -

http://www.remington.com/whatsnew/brrls_choke/sgbct_1.htm

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    12ga is around 72cal
    I think the 28ga is probably the closest to a 50cal.
    Just working off the top of my head here, no referance material at work.

FWIW, gauge refers to the # of round balls that size that could be made pound of lead. 8 balls/lb=8ga, 32 balls/lb=32ga etc.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    .50 cal lies somewhere between .410 and 28 gauge.

aliens.jpg
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    410 is the only cal shotgun

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    64&55 maynard,11.15x52mm,44XL,360 centerfire,9.1x40mm,9mm rimfire & centerfire,32rimfire,310remington,7mm,6mm, and 20caliber wingo were all caliber shotshells too.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were also smoothbore 22 rimfires so that could be considered another "caliber" shotgun

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Tailgunner1954

1308 Posts
    Posted - 02/26/2004 : 4:06:24 PM

12ga is around 72cal
    I think the 28ga is probably the closest to a 50cal.
    Just working off the top of my head here, no referance material at work.

FWIW, gauge refers to the # of round balls that size that could be made pound of lead. 8 balls/lb=8ga, 32 balls/lb=32ga etc.

Tailgunners' got it nailed down, as usual.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 22WRF
    410 is the only cal shotgun

Then why do some of those cheapo .410s state that you can shoot .45 long colt out of them? and can that be done with all .410s?

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the 12 ga. BRI sabot and its descendants carries a .45 caliber slug to rather high velocity. And the .410 ga. shell is equal to the .45 long Colt round such that both fit in some guns. The point is that the word "caliber" is used in Ted Kennedy's bill and his ban would be based on raw performance, meaning that shotguns of a certain "caliber" could easily find themselves afoul of his law, in addition to all major rifle rounds and some Magnum handgun rounds. When they talk about "50 caliber," do they know what they are talking about? When they talk about 45 caliber, will they mean sabot slugs of that diameter? Are they ignorant or insidious? Of course the answer is "both," but do they understand their bill is written from a place of ignorance? Of course not.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

• HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    I've got a Belgian/French? Flobert 9mm smoothbore shotgun???? Takes 9mm shotshells only.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
    Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.
    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The term "caliber" can be used when referring to any firearm that launches a projectile down a barrel. It's just the diameter of the bore expressed in inches.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hairy, the 9mm shotshell was used in the Winchester M36 (?) and many European firearms. Of all the "subcaliber" shotshells, this is the most common. I believe Fiocchi still makes shells for this, although they are hard to find and expensive when you do. Only Winchester loaded it in this country and the shells are definitely in the collector realm now, bringing a minimum of $2 each.

If you are interested in some fodder for yours, I'll be glad to keep an eye out for it. The Fiocchi rounds are purely shooting ammo and don't carry the premium of the Winchester, although they are still expensive - $25 to $50 a box of 50.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Txs -- Bingo. You win the pork chops! [8D]

Oops, guess I've played one too many Legions.... [8D] Yes, around here the Legions give out meat prizes on Friday night. Hmmm. Could be a good name for a grunge band -- Meat Prize... I can see it now....

• HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast: That would be great if you could find some ammo for that Flobert. My preference would be anything I could shoot out of it that did not require paying the highest premium for it. If you find any, please advise me. Thanks again. [:)]

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
    Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.
    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAIRY, I don't often recommend them because their prices usually are exorbitant, but Old West Scrounger: http://www.ows-ammunition.com/ has the Fiocchi in stock (#2132095) @ $23/box. I suspect it will be hit or miss to find them elsewhere.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)