In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Statue made by Iraqi for US Soldiers

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is certainly one of tose stories you'll never see or hear of on the National Evening News, but this picture of the statue below was made by an Iraqi artist named Kalat, who for years was forced by Saddam Hussein to make the many hundreds of bronze busts of Saddam that dotted Baghdad. This artist was so grateful that the Americans liberated his country, he melted 3 of the fallen Saddam heads and made a memorial statue dedicated to the American soldiers and their fallen comrades. Kalat worked on this night and day for several months.

To the left of the kneeling soldier is a small Iraqi girl giving the soldier comfort as he mourns the loss of his comrade in arms. It is currently on display outside the palace that is now home to the 4th Infantry division. It will eventually be shipped and shown at the memorial museum in Fort Hood, Texas.

Soldier_in_Iraq_on_bended_knee.jpg

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8

Comments

• steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    It's AMAZING! - Toe
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Night Stalker,

Please send this to Sean Hannity, Neal Boortz, and FoxNews. If you don't know Hannity and Boortz, they are popular radio talk show hosts that are, in my opinion, better than Rush.

I think Hannity's website is www.seanhannity.com.

I KNOW Boortz's website is www.boortz.com

Both believe in your mission, as do MOST American citizens.

And, thanks for being there for ALL of us!

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Thanks, but it's not really mine to pass along. I have never seen the statue in living color, was only passed this picture from a friend n the 4th ID.

I posted it for a variety of reasons, but they really are not that important. I just get emotional when I look at it, and think of all the friends and fellow soldiers we've all known who have had to have their M4 put in their boots, have their dog tags hung, and had their Kevlar topped at the end of the day. They are missed dearly.

Now, nearly a month after being home, I am somehow a bit more in-tune with some of these emotions... I guess since I have no plans to return any time soon, I am attempting to put some of it behind me.

Anyway, I thought the photo of the statue was something all could understand, and based on your postings, I see we all understand where that soldier on bended knee is both coming from, and headed towards.

Marc_Anderson_1.jpg

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Thanks Stalker. I think all of us need to remember that most Iraqi's thank us for our help.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    that is an outstanding statue.nightstalker were proud of you!!!!!!!!!

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
    edited November -1
    Marine,

No need to be proud of me, I surely do not dereve 1/1000th of the pride and appreciation our fellow fallen Soldiers/Sailors/Marines/and Airmen deserve. But thanks anyway, and I want to thank you for your service to our great Nation as well.

NSDQ!

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the picture.
    I wish more people could see it.
    And hear the story behind it.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    We don't see the majority of the fallen soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan.

But we've seen quite a few. And Lord knows, one is too many...

But you need to detach yourself from the environment when you're out there. It's your job. You're there as a visible embodiment of the entire US Army's respect for the soldier's sacrifice.

Kind of messes with your head though...

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    I kinda like the idea of him recasting the "heads" of Saddam !
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,857 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I am awe struck! My hat is off to that man. I for one, deeply appreciate all that our service people have given this country.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
    edited November -1
    BTT for our fallen comrades.

NSDQ!

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I have to refresh this so more people can see it. It's very moving.
    God bless our troops,
    Ben
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Night Stalker.. Thanks for sharing this with us.. Great Stuff!

BTW, The CofS Army is coming to Zussman for a visit. Told his staff.. I have heard all about this place and just got to see it first hand. "Tell them this is not a briefing visit, I want to be a COB (civilian on the battlefield) and get up close & personal with the training event."

This ought to be fun! Some of 160th are scheduled to be in supporting the events in the time indow for the visit.. YeeHaaa Light him up!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    George Orwell

TARGETS UP!
    TIGER6
  • rdcinmnrdcinmn Member Posts: 655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a great statue.[:D]

Night Stalker, Could your friend in the 4th possably send you more pictures from all angles?
    I'm sure everbody would like to see the whole statue.

Ellsworth.gif

www.awbansunset.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1848
    edited November -1
    BTT! I personally thank you for looking at this post... the soldiers who have fallen cetainly deserve it!

NSDQ!

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the posting, NS. Very poignant piece of art which captures so much in such a small area. It certainly deserves a place of honor in our nation.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)