In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullzeye

competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Saw your reply to Cannonball's post. How's basic going? Missed your posts the last while.

Comments

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kick *, and make us proud!! I'm with you 100%

Rameleni1
    edited November -1
    You need to change your profile here. I've been trying to email you through the Gunbroker forums but it keeps getting bounced back at me because your email address here is still set to that Paladin email address.
    edited November -1
    Change your email in your preferences here. I tried to send you a message through the forum and it bounced back to me. I don't have your email address anymore.
    edited November -1
    Got your IM but when I got it you was already gone. Talk to ya next weekend. I have to go to the city so nice they named it twice.
    edited November -1
    I just wanted to say that I found your post in response to Trey's passing to be one of the most inspiring and moving I have read.

I dont know if mag44 will be as I cannot fathom how he must feel right now, but I just wanted to tell you that your post helped ease my saddness over the loss of his son.

Thank you very much for the post and for your service as well.

JuJu(proud to be associated with folks here)
    edited November -1
    Don't drop out
    Check out the final rules for the giveaway email me back through the GB link

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
    edited November -1
    Jut curious 'bout something. You notated in another post you enjoyed watching me "argue" with someone. Could you define "arguing" and could you point out where I was "arguing" with this fellow?
    Happiness is a warm gun
    edited November -1
    I don't have anything to say to you--just wanted to make a post to you since you seem to be such a popular guy! You know, it's the "monkey see, monkey do" thing. (not meant to refer to the "super/snipermonkey" here)
    edited November -1
    tried to send you an email, and it got returned, if you like send me an email and I'll email you back.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
    edited November -1
    Hey did you buy a .223 today? You don't live too far north of me and it snowed here today! I left it was sunny and warm, I got back and there was snow all over the ground, thougt maybe you bought that .223 today and made it snow!
    edited November -1
    Do you have a copy of the regs for NY? I am wondering what seasons are going on in the lower tier. Thanks.
    The definition of an "expert":An "X" is an unknown quantity and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Wow. Thanks! I think. So...how's it hangin'?You still THE ONE?
  • Captain GunbrokerCaptain Gunbroker Member Posts: 29
    edited November -1
    way back yeons ago when the game of chess was played in a courtyard with men assuming the positions. with the most important person being the queen, for she was the most powerful of them all. as the story is told a player was needed that didnt get much recognition due to the fact that he simply needed to carry a bucket and to promptly rush to the player in need. refering to a when nature calls time. this is and may be how the one in question is needed here. popular indeed. thankyou for fulfilling your position so well young laddy.
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of chess played with real people, anyone ever read Chessmen of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs? The Martian version of chess is called jetan. In the book, a tyrant arranged a gladiator style game of jetan where the "pieces" had sword fights when they moved to the same square, with the winning piece getting to occupy the square. The tyrant made the mistake of letting the hero be one of the pieces, of course.[I figured a discussion of great literature would be more fun than trading pointless insults.]
  • Captain GunbrokerCaptain Gunbroker Member Posts: 29
    edited November -1
    aye mr blade iI have heard of that and enjoy your comment and giving close attn to name calling of which I did not do. merely gave a lad that does a job so well a thankyou in deed kind sir. now barkeep how bout a bottle of the clipper ship if ya please.
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to recall that scene in a Mel Brooks film.It's good to be the king.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Finally, a thread directed towards Bullzeye with a rather lighthearted tone. The lack of angst is almost giving me withdrawls. I think I'll go swear at my pillow and go to bed.AntiqueDr--you beat me to it! it was a stupid film but quite humorous. I believe the official title of that individual was not "THE ONE". I believe it was a four-letter word followed by "boy".I'll never forget the racks of fine arms in The Matrix. Seeing that got my heart racing faster than it did during the action scenes.[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-11-2002).]
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read "Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons if you like the premise of human chess pieces.Clouder..
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gordian,That isn't one of the 'Martian Tales' series is it? The ones featuring John Carter Prince of Helum!?!
    edited November -1
    Yes, indeed, it is book #5 of the series. The hero is a new character, Gahan of Gathol. John Carter, Warlord of Barsoom if you please, is so powerful in low Martian gravity and so good with a sword that ERB needed to introduce some new heroes to make it interesting.
    edited November -1
    Gawd I love the Martian Tales, I never got through all of the books. Now you've rekindled my interest and I'll have to go buy em!
    Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Monkey:Carrion Comfort, C'mon buddy, I wouldn't steer ya wrong.Clouder..
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I've heard of, but not read the Chessmen of Mars.It sounds fascinating! It's just the thing to satisfy that insane power-lust.I wonder how much I'd have to pay people....
    edited November -1
    I found them, here is the entire series...1. A Princess of Mars2. The Gods of Mars3. Warlord of Mars4. Thuvia Maid of Mars5. Chessmen of Mars6. Master Mind of Mars 7. A Fighting Man of Mars8. Swords of Mars9. Synthetic Men of Mars 10. Llana of Gathol11. John Carter of Mars
    edited November -1
    #11 is not worth reading. The other 10 are must reading if you like adventure and/or science fiction stories. OK, it's more fantasy than science fiction, but in 1914 (the original publication date of #1), who knew the difference?That's not to say that Dan Simmons isn't good also. I've read his (what do you call it?) quadlogy: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and The Rise of Endymion. Not bad, although the last book is a bit over the top by the standards of modern science fiction.Books are like guns in this respect: If you have two that you like and can't decide, get both!
  • WyomingSwedeWyomingSwede Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont forget ERB's "The Land that Time Forgot"series, the Pellucidar series, or the immortal Robert E. Howard and the Conan saga.regards swede[This message has been edited by WyomingSwede (edited 02-11-2002).]
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That living people as chessmen was an integral plot device in another flick (name escapes me) about three Americans who cross into the Soviet Union from Finland in a deserted area in the North and are caught / incarcerated as spies / escape. The twist is that the chessmen are only pawns but the players have their lives on the line.