In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bogus reserve prices

gissimogissimo Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in General Discussion
Whats the deal? Gunbroker states reserve prices should be at least 1/2 of the reserve price, but people continue to waste bidders time with wacko start prices. I actually bid 129900 times the start price of an item and reserve still wasnt met! I tried to post feedback about this time waster, but since I didnt win the item, I wasnt allowed to! If gun broker's programs can check to see if I won any items, it should also start enforcing its own policies. Im gone to gunsamerica from now on.

Comments

• Options
    Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no such thing as a bogus reserve price, the only way it could be bogus is if the reserve price says $555, and you bid $555 and it says reserve not met. Which is a fisical impossiblity.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't like reserve auctions, do what I do: don't bid on the item.I would be happier if the seller would simple set the starting price at his reserve. Then you could decide to bid or not and not waste anyones time.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bye, bye gissimo. Don't let the door knob hit you on the way out.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a seller I've played it both ways ... with success stories for both with & without reserves, when bidding on reserve auctions I do like Saxon ... enter my price and walk away, no harm, no foul ... I peticularly like the "Buy It Now" feature and sell almost everything using it, I make a little more and the buyer ends the auction at the price he is willing to pay and everybody is happy!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As someone who lists - and bids on - a lot of items (rarely here - market in my special interest is much higher on another site), I DETEST reserve auctions and will bid in such only if the item is a 'must have' - and at that I will not bid as much as I might if it were not in this format. In my experience, reservists usually (I'll use that loophole because I've seen one exception & there may be more): (a) are crooks who want the sky+50% and don't have the integrity to demonstrate it publicly or (b) are on fishing expeditions to see how much some folks will bid before pricing the item as a regular auction at an even higher price. And most of them, when asked their true asking price by a serious bidder after a dozen such listings of the same item, don't deign to reply. Generally, either they don't have anything I desire or, if they do, I can find it cheaper elsewhere. Reserve auctions are a waste of my time & I've spent more time typing this post than I've spent looking at the details of all reserve auction listings I've seen in the last three months. Ignore them.