In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Smith & Wesson

bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Had the time to go out shooting on my day off. Shot a Smith & wesson 66, man thats a great gun. Now I need to find one for me! The owner will not the it!

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes

Comments

• bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    (AP)Smith & Wesson, an American gun manufacturer with roots going back to 1852, is trying to change its name to American Outdoor Brands Corp.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the company will ask its shareholders next month to approve of the name change. If it is approved, the company's handguns will still carry the name Smith & Wesson.

Currently known as Smith & Wesson Holding Corp., the company was acquired by Saf-T-Hammer Corp. in 2002.

"We believe the new name really better reflects our many brands and products and our growth strategy," a company spokesperson told the Journal.

Besides firearms, Smith & Wesson now sells hunting knives, flashlights, and equipment used for camping. It was announced last week that Smith & Wesson is purchasing Ultimate Survival Technologies Inc., which makes everything from survival kits to camping gear.
    edited November -1
    Model 422/622.

Wow, where did these prices come from? For a gun that was billed as average at best, the value sure has rocketed!

I need a barrel and can't fine one for the life of me.

Anyone sitting on one of these they want or need to put up for auction?
    edited November -1
    Interestin article.[^]

http://www.dispatch.com/business-story.php?story=dispatch/2007/02/02/20070202-F1-00.html

TARGET MARKETING
    Smith & Wesson uses brand strength, new products to regain lost sales
    Friday, February 02, 2007
    Adam Gorlick
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Smith & Wesson may be best recognized as the brand of choice for Dirty Harry, the movie cop who warned punks his .44 Magnum was "the most powerful handgun in the world." But that was in 1971, and much has changed in the past 36 years. Police officers want lighter-weight pistols than the bulky steel revolver "Dirty" Harry Callahan barely concealed under a sport coat. Soldiers need foolproof weapons that won't get jammed by the desert sands.

There are guns now more powerful than the .44, and Smith & Wesson has realized it can't get by on its name, or Dirty Harry's, alone.

That's why Mike Golden, Smith & Wesson's CEO for the past two years, has targeted new technologies and sales to the military and police departments to ensure the company's future.

Except for the pistol-shaped cufflinks he sometimes wears, there isn't much about him that says "gun guy." A past corporate boss at Black & Decker, Kohler and the Stanley Works, Golden, 52, knew more about power tools and toilets than pistols.

"When I joined the company, I had never shot a firearm before in my life," Golden said. "I tell people the board wasn't looking to find a marksman."

When he took over the 155-year-old company, its earnings were flat. The country was at war, and the military's handgun contracts were all going to Italy's Beretta. Handgun sales to police departments, a market that Smith & Wesson once practically owned, were going mostly to Glock, an Austrian company.

"The company had been under-managed and undermarketed for the last 10 to 15 years, at least," Golden said. Golden hired a Washington lobbying firm to go after government contracts. In the past two years, the company has made four deals worth $20 million to make the 9 mm pistols the Army is giving to security forces in Afghanistan.

Smith & Wesson's earnings have experienced double-digit growth since Golden took over. The company's work force stands at about 900 nonunion employees, 200 of which were hired in the past two years.

The company reported $50.8 million in sales for its second quarter that ended in October, an increase of 43 percent from the same period in the year before. It expects sales for the 2008 fiscal year to be about $320 million.

About 75 percent of the company's sales are in the sportinggoods market, which has remained steady despite guncontrol efforts.

But Golden still has his sights set on government sales.

This year, the military handgun contract that Beretta has had a lock on for nearly 20 years is expected to come up for bid. Analysts say that deal could fetch about $310 million, and predict that Smith & Wesson's chances to land it are good, but far from guaranteed.

When Glock introduced a lightweight polymer pistol for police departments in the 1980s, Smith & Wesson's managers "thought cops would never buy a plastic gun," Golden said. They could only watch as police departments shifted to pistols made by other companies.

Golden pushed the company to come up with a product that could compete, and last year Smith & Wesson launched its M &P (Military and Police) line of polymer pistols. Smith & Wesson has so far climbed back to about 10 percent of sales to police departments, but is still dwarfed by Glock's 65 percent control of the market.
    edited November -1
    Went to an auction tonight, and a fellow I know sold me this one, Model 66-3 bull barrel. adj sights :

Guess people dont like the Wheel guns anymore. Got a Mdl 65 this morning. Damn! 2 in one day..

SW66.jpg

Pepe_stand3.jpg

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
    BIG DOG
    wheelie.gif
    pirate.gif
    edited November -1
    Recently bought a nice Smith 686 at a gun show. Nice wood grips, shoots great ect.
    I remember seeing a while back that S&W has a site where I can reference the serial # to find out how old/when the gun was made ect.
    Can any of you provide a link for me? I can't seem to find it.
    Thanks!!
    edited November -1
    Well I showed the old colt, so thought I would share the 9mm S&W that was the 2nd gun I got this week end. This one came with three mags, and the take down tool and book. I might put the Beretta 950 on later. it was the third deal this week end.. LR

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
    edited November -1
    Is ther a step by step Detailed Disassembly for a Smith & Wesson Cs9??

flag.gif
    navylogo.gif
    logo2.gifwww.operationdearabby.net
    edited November -1
    Just heard on the news that the chairman of S&W has resigned.

Appears that he had felony convictions back in the 50s.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bolthandle
    Just heard on the news that the chairman of S&W has resigned.

Appears that he had felony convictions back in the 50s.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER

I heard the 50's and early 60's. Did his time and made something out of himself, then had to resign his job. I thought when you were released, you were free to make a fresh start. Guess that only works for politicians.[:(!]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Man, that sucks. But what choice did he have? If he stayed on, every anti-gun Feinstein-wannabe would have crucified the company as a "merchant of death run by a criminal."

I just hope he got a decent severance package. It's not fair, but given how the media works, it was the best for the company.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    A felony back in the 50's That could be cleared up very easy, Something else is going on.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He should have run for the senate, his job would be safe[}:)][:D]
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.