In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Talk about a load of BS

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Kerry is attacking Bush for dredging up Viet Nam. Kerry claims that talking about his voting record is an attack on Vets. I guess anyone who didn't go to Nam shouldn't get to be President Oh wait what about 8 years of Clinton. Talk about 2 faced hypocriticle pure unmitigated BS

Posted from Iwon

ATLANTA (AP) - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry accused President Bush of using surrogates to attack his military service in Vietnam and his subsequent activism against that war.

In a letter to Bush on Saturday, Kerry wrote: "As you well know, Vietnam was a very difficult and painful period in our nation's history, and the struggle for our veterans continues. So, it has been hard to believe that you would choose to reopen these wounds for your personal political gain. But, that is what you have chosen to do."

Kerry was reacting to criticism earlier in the day from a leading Georgia Republican who, speaking for Bush's re-election campaign, predicted trouble for Kerry in the state's primary.

Sen. Saxby Chambliss said during a conference call arranged by the Bush campaign that Kerry has a "32-year history of voting to cut defense programs and cut defense systems."

When Kerry responded later, at his side was Max Cleland, a triple-amputee Vietnam veteran who lost his Senate seat to Chambliss in 2002 after being portrayed as soft on homeland security.

He said the president "decided once again to take the low road of American politics."

"Saxby Chambliss, on the part of the president and his henchmen, decided today to question my commitment to the defense of our nation," Kerry said in Georgia, one of 10 states choosing electoral delegates on March 2.

Kerry said Bush used the same strategy to beat John McCain in the 2000 race for the Republican presidential nomination, and during the Chambliss-Cleland race.

In his letter to Bush, Kerry called Chambliss' run against Cleland "one of the most despicable campaigns ever conducted."

During the news conference, Kerry said he voted for the largest defense and intelligence budgets in American history, although sometimes he "voted for common sense to make changes."

Bush, he said, was ignoring issues like jobs and health care to "engage in the politics of fear."

Kerry has gotten the endorsement of John Lewis, a civil rights leader and Georgia's longest-serving congressman. But Sen. Zell Miller, D-Ga., is backing Bush.

Kerry also defended his military record during an interview taped Saturday for broadcast Sunday morning on ABC's "This Week."

"I don't know what it is that all these Republicans who didn't serve in Vietnam are fighting a war against those of us who did," the Massachusetts senator said.

Kerry has campaigned on his Vietnam combat record, which includes three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star.

Chambliss said Kerry, despite his service, has a weak record on military issues.

"He has a long history, particularly in the last decade, of not only voting to cut intelligence spending, but introducing bills to cut intelligence spending," Chambliss said.

Cleland, a Democrat, had some criticism for Chambliss.

"For Saxby Chambliss, who got out of going to Vietnam because of a trick knee, to attack John Kerry as weak on the defense of our nation is like a mackerel in the moonlight that both shines and stinks," he said.

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kerry fears that old photo of him in long hair protesting the war after his service was over. And he should. It's fair game, particularly since his own "surrogates" started it with questions about Bush's National Guard service. I think Kerry's whining is pretty pathetic, but he's got to spin this and the letter to Bush (and leaking it) was the chosen salvo. It won't work. Since when does a letter to the Pres make the news? They wrote it so they could leak it.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Help me here...
    who posted the comments by an Admiral I think,
    about Kerry's VN service? It was just a couple of days ago,
    I meant to copy it and didn't. Sure made a good read!
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I caught that to, talk about spin, what does VN service have to do with his voting record? what a turd!
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.