In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One Forum Welcomes Religious Discussion

boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
Okay, it seems that there are so many people here stiffeled for not having someplace to go and agrue religion, atheism, and those very touchy subjects that the higher powers do not want any part of them mentioned on this board, I am going to invite you do my own totally non-firearms related discuission forum, where you can go and rant, and rave, and do whatever you want as long as there are no threatening posts and the posts remain legal. This is my own professional site, complete with general discussion forum where you can exorcise your freedom of religious thought. The site is for nondestructive testing folk primarily, but feel free to argue there as much as you like. NDTLevelIII.com. http://ndtleveliii.com/

Comments

• Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    uUH Uuuhhh!!! Nope... Not me. I never argue religion.[:0]
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Thanks anyway. LOL ... would rather have another root canal[:D][:D][:D]
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you are going to be lonely over there Boeboe, but thanks for the invite.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    I apprecaite the invitation...but...Uh...well, I have been a registered civil engineer for nearly 25 years, I hold a doctorate in structural engineering and I will have to say that many (most) of the technical items up for discussion in your forums are too deep for me (you NDT guys are a fast crowd)! I do hope you can latch onto someone who is eager to go into the current revision of ASTM E 1444-05 in depth but I think He Dog is right on target. Not to switch gears and move away from your tech forum[;)] but what did you decide about relocating? Are you moving to Indiana or heading overseas?
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    neeh, i'll stay here where its needed. firetrucks all gathered around the firehouse dont help the ones out there with fires too well.[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:exorcise your freedom of religious thought.
    ???
  • Options
    bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry...no can do...it's against my religion.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As religious belief and non-belief are equally irrational, discussion is impossible; and while you can certainly state what you believe, you cannot discuss the facts of the matter, and this because there are no facts of the matter, either way. And what is truly comical is when a believer tells a non-believer that they are wrong, or vice versa. This is not unlike two drunks arguing whether the pink elephant in the room is wearing a hat; each one sounds like they have some claim to reason and fact, when in fact all they are doing is playing both sides of The Emperor's New Clothes. When it comes to religion, there is absolutely nothing more to talk about.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    When it comes to religion, there is absolutely nothing more to talk about.

And yet you did. Don
  • Options
    bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dances,
    When you're hung like me, the Emperor's New Clothes look pretty good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    And yet you did. Don

I said nothing about religion, merely the nature of belief. And I think your confusion proves my point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quikdraw67
    boeboe -

what is NDTLEV3 anyway? do you test for defects in metal, ie pipelines, etc??

Sounds interesting...

Yes, myself in particular, aerospace work.

quote:Originally posted by kristov
    I apprecaite the invitation...but...Uh...well, I have been a registered civil engineer for nearly 25 years, I hold a doctorate in structural engineering and I will have to say that many (most) of the technical items up for discussion in your forums are too deep for me (you NDT guys are a fast crowd)! I do hope you can latch onto someone who is eager to go into the current revision of ASTM E 1444-05 in depth but I think He Dog is right on target. Not to switch gears and move away from your tech forum[;)] but what did you decide about relocating? Are you moving to Indiana or heading overseas?

What part of ASTM E 1444-05 do you want to know about? We can discuss it on the forum.

I have been looking at another option.actually, you might recall, my wife is from the Philippines. In her home town, I can live like a king for about $6,000 annually. I was recently entertained with the possibility of moving there to become an NDT Process Auditor in Asian countries (doing audits for companies such as Boeing, Airbus, Rolls-Royce, etc). I did this work for a few years here in the USA and abroad, working for Nadcap (if you know what Nadcap is). There is quite a bit of work such companies are generating in China, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, and such, I could, potentially, live in the Philippines and make excellent money covering that region doing these audits. This prospect has peaked my interest.but I am not going to make such a move just yet.

quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    When it comes to religion, there is absolutely nothing more to talk about.

And yet you did. Don

Sigh....yet another arguement brewing, when it could be happening somewhere else[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by boeboe
    Sigh....yet another arguement brewing, when it could be happening somewhere else[:(]

Nah. Don and I go way back.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Can we discuss why we don't want to discuss religion without getting poofed or locked?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    Poofs and locks occur because we just can't, or won't leave it alone. Dad once told me to avoid discussions of religion or politics, and that was good advice, not that I have always followed it.

Discussions, even arguments over religion (and any other topic) are allowed here. Problem is, when we get into "hot-button" topics, we often allow our discussions to deteriorate into name-calling and insult-hurling. Even the "nicer" insults read something like this: "I am right, you are wrong, and I am better educated and smarter than you."

It gets old and tired, folks.

No one who takes a strong position either way is going to change his mind. Anyone who has not taken a strong position, and who views the discussion trying to learn something only sees children on a playground squabbling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I were you boeboe I would seriously consider working in the Pacific Rim. For those on the edge of their seats: ASTM E 1444-05 deals with magnetic partical testing and the "big change" is that there is no longer a maximum value when using a Hall Effect Gaussmeter as well as tangential fields now have a minimum value of 30 gauss, which puts the USA more in line with the world standards. I'm sure boeboe will correct me if I am wrong about this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kristov
    If I were you boeboe I would seriously consider working in the Pacific Rim. For those on the edge of their seats: ASTM E 1444-05 deals with magnetic partical testing and the "big change" is that there is no longer a maximum value when using a Hall Effect Gaussmeter as well as tangential fields now have a minimum value of 30 gauss, which puts the USA more in line with the world standards. I'm sure boeboe will correct me if I am wrong about this.

kristov, good to read that someone is actually smart on this board[;)].

You are correct that there is no longer a maximum value for gauss, but I really don't think the minimum value for gauss is exactly 30. The minimum value for gauss, if you use the Hall Effect meter, is 30, that is true. But it is not required to use the Hall Effect Meter to establish MT techniques. It would be permissable to use artificial flaw standards (such as shims, or parts with known discontinuities) to establish an acceptable technique.

In other words, if the Hall Effect meter is all you have, then you are bound to the 30 gauss minimum. However, if you use "known defect standards" such as shims, or otherwise use a known defect standard that reflects "cognizant design authority requirements", you are not bound by the 30 gauss minimum.

Establishing effective magnetic particle techniques, techniques that all can live with, has been a major issue with MT inspection for years. Magnetic particle has long been (probably) the single NDT method that is known for making "false positive" interpretations. That is, the chances are, more acceptable product is rejected for erroneous reasons than any other method. This is in spite of the fact that a study was conducted in the 1970's that showed the overall reliability of MT to detect known flaws (of something like .03" in length) was less than 50%.

I hate to say it, but having dealt in NDT since 1976, magnetic particle and radiography are the two methods that remain, statistically, more of "sampling" of actual product quality UNLESS you know specifically what you are looking for. This "sampling" characteristic is even if you do what is considered a 100% inspection by industry standards.

Don't get me wrong. When there is some particular product defect you are looking for, magnetic particle may be very helpful. But on a mass production basis, the tendency is to reject more satisfactory product than accept defective product. This, of course, drives up consumer expense.

I also hate to say that much of NDT is "feel good voodoo". There is more wasted time conducting unnecessary inspection in NDT than any other inspection discipline I can think of. The reason this is done is, there are far too many inexperienced and fearful young design engineers playing with CAD programs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kristov, let me clarify my position in simplest terms. In NDT, there is so much time spent looking at things that are unimportant, that is detracts from the time spent looking for things that really are important.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by boeboe
    kristov, let me clarify my position in simplest terms. In NDT, there is so much time spent looking at things that are unimportant, that is detracts from the time spent looking for things that really are important.

It sounds like life itself!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just a minor correction in original post, at one point, IS should be IT. So should read:

"kristov, let me clarify my position in simplest terms. In NDT, there is so much time spent looking at things that are unimportant, that IT detracts from the time spent looking for things that really are important".

And kristov, I couldn't agree with you more[:D][;)].