In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lay down with dogs, wake up with fleas

gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Smith & Wesson Announces Second Agreement With Remington Arms; Legendary Firearms Companies Enter Multi-Million Dollar AgreementJuly 26, 2001 08:16:00 AM ETSPRINGFIELD, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 26, 2001--Smith and Wesson Corp., a wholly owned subsidiary of Saf-T-Hammer Corp. SAFH, today announced a multi-million dollar, three-year agreement with Remington Arms Corp. Under the terms of the agreement, Smith & Wesson's Specialty Services Division will produce machined receivers for certain models of Remington "Centerfire" rifles. The Specialty Services Division is a rapidly growing portion of Smith & Wesson's organization. This division has increased its business by more than 50 percent for each of the past three years and provides specialized metal working products and services to a broad base of customers in a variety of industries including: several customers in the vehicular industry, hand tool, hardware, golf and firearms industries. "Smith & Wesson was selected as our supplier based on their technical capabilities and their proven machining expertise," said Larry Kipp, Remington Arms' plant manager for their Ilion, N.Y., facility. "Based upon the expected success of this program, additional opportunities could develop between Remington and Smith & Wesson." This agreement represents the second cooperative arrangement between the two firearms industry leaders. Previously, the two companies reached a licensing, cross licensing and use agreement, relative to electronic firearms, ammunition for electronic firearms and user authorization for electronic firearms technologies developed by the two companies. The previous agreement includes existing and future technology, whether developed individually or jointly. Each company retains ownership of the technology it has or will develop and jointly developed technology will be jointly owned. "We are very pleased to be able to supply Remington with quality components and to further the very positive working relationship between our two companies," said Robert L. Scott, president and CEO of Smith & Wesson. About Smith & Wesson Smith & Wesson was acquired in May of this year by Saf-T-Hammer and is one of the world's leading producers of quality handguns and law enforcement products. Law enforcement personnel, military personnel, target shooters, hunters, collectors and firearms enthusiasts throughout the world have used the company's products with confidence for nearly 150 years. The acquisition brought the ownership of this American industrial icon back to the United States and it is now operated by management with extensive experience in the firearms industry. About Saf-T-Hammer Saf-T-Hammer, the parent company of Smith & Wesson, was originally formed to develop and market firearm safety and security products designed to prevent unauthorized access to firearms. Saf-T-Hammer continues to market its own branded products to sporting goods distributors, law enforcement distributors, law enforcement retailers, law enforcement agencies and gunsmiths both in the United States and internationally. Visit the company's Web sites at: http://www.saf-t-hammer.com/ or http://www.smith-wesson.com/. Safe Harbor StatementStatements about the company's future expectations, including synergies between the two companies and all other statements in this release, other than historical facts, are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, Section 21E of the Securities Act of 1934, as that term is defined in the Private Securities Reform Act of 1995. The company intends that such "forward-looking statements" be subject to the safe harbors created thereby.Note to Editors: Saf-T-Hammer and Saf-T-Trigger are trademarks of Saf-T-Hammer Corp.Contact Information: Market Pathways (media & investor relations)Shannon T. Squyres, 949/955-1860c 2001 BusinessWire c2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use Advertise TRUSTe Approved Privacy Statement

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Remington is now finished as far as I am concerned.Savage will be My rifles from this day forward.
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    What the hell is Remington thinking...
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bye-bye, Remington.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It wouldn't suprise me if S&W became a Specialty Services Division only since retail sales have dropped to almost nothing. I'd rather see this than have Remington set up shop in Brazil or other 3rd world country (like Springfield did) just to save a buck If Remington can have S&W do their Specialty stuff, cheaper than they can do it ... well, seems to me its the American way, besides its not like S&W has poor workmanship. Do we really want to put another American gun company out of business? ... I think not ... UNLESS they join with S&W's pact with the Government ...
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimberkid, I agree. I don't like what s&w did, but I don't want to see us loose another gun company to the countries south of us. Loosing the retail business was probably enough. Lets not do Remington in just because they are trying to stay ahead of the cheap labor by making contracts with s&w Maybe they didn't lie down with dogs, maybe they merely tossed them a bite to eat to make a really good watchdog or a trustful companion.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ROSIE!Jest stirrin' a little, Dano being gone and all!
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take more than that to make me give up on them! Rosie
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thought my next gun purchase would be a Remington 700. I think Ive changed my mind and will go with a Winchester 70. Why take a chance?
  • Options
    TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I own one Remington shotgun - and I bought it used. But I'm not buying new if I can avoid it anyway so nothing will change as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have absolutely no forgiveness for a company that after seeing those limeys suck up to klinton and reno. If it hadn't been for the brave Americans, the B-17,theP-51, the M-1 GArand and alot of brave souls that gave their lives, England would be a partially bombed- out swamp today. As for the company in the U.S. that bought them out you can't buy a lump of hog crap and improve the smell,and the only reason they do business with a reputable company is not for profit but instead to use remingtons reputation to elevate their level of respectability and therby rise from the ashes. I don't presently own any smiths after the deal and though I have respected remington since I was old enough to hunt I have bought my last remington for any price. I have not betrayed them but in throwing in with the enemy they have betrayed honest gun owners and depending on how this act of betrayal is accepted will have a lot to do with what other companies do in the future.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Remington has refused to sell it's true sniper class 700's to the public for years. Only available to LEO.Smith, Ruger, Colt, and Remington are history as far as I'm concerned. There are plenty of fine firearms out there without having to deal with traitors.