In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HK is not French, but...

5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2003 in General Discussion
Is there an effort for boycotting German products like is being done with French products?

Seems like both countries were in bed with Saddam so both should receive the same treatment. Yet I have not heard the same passion regarding boycotting German products.

Frankly I have never been very fond of France, so avoiding their products comes easy. But HK.....

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those of you with any sense of decency should carefully box your HKs, SIGs, Walthers, Korths, Korriphilas and Semmerlings and send them to me for immediate and proper disposal.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DancesWithSheep;
    The phrase should not be "proper disposal"
    It should read more like "proper treatment"
    Right?

5db;
    There does seem to be a double standard going on here.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People can choose what they want to support. I still loosely avoid buying from countries that were against us in any war - of course, that isn't that easy, so I often just pick the "lesser of the evil's".
    H.K. sure makes fine weapons!
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    pickenup: "Proper disposal" to me means "at my disposal".

I would further invite those of principle to load up the CD changer in their Mercedes or Porsche with Dixie Chicks CDs, toss their Zeiss optics and Leica cameras in the trunk, and ship everything off to me for "proper disposal" as well.
  • Options
    PRZNCOP110PRZNCOP110 Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I certainly can understand everyones anomocity towards countries like france and germany. I have not given any business to the pizza place that fired me (when I was a teenager, first job) in 17 years. But I dont want to deprive myself of the fine guns that are made by other countries. Buying used or surplus guns does not support these countries, used and surplus guns were bought and paid for when they were originally purchased. How many of us have a surplus 98? Germany has been our enemy in both WWs, they are against our actions in the Mid East. Italy was our enemy, how many of us have Berettas? Most LE agencies have MP5s or some variant. If we ever get into it with Austria, is everyone going to stop buying Glocks?

Now I wont rush out and buy french wine, german...what does germany make?.....or anything that the good ol' USA cant provide me with, but I cant turn my back on fine firearms such as the HKs or the cheap 98s that are so fun to tinker with.

"SOCIETY PREPARES THE CRIME, THE CRIMINAL COMMITS IT"
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Boycott those who dared express an opinion contrary to our own!

That is, unless it's inconvenient...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what I'm talking about, pickenup why the double standard?

ElMuertoMonkey, I'm all for the expression of opposing opinions. As long as those opinions are fact based. Such exchanges help to educate all objective parties. But when a country willingly violates sanctions that could harm Americans, should we continue to buy their products?

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DWS -
    That is such a gracious offer ... while I was packing my HK's to send you, I got to looking around and it occurred to me that China was opposed our position also ... would you mind terribly if, along with my small collection of HK's, Lugers and PO8's, Walthers, ect... I included my Norinco underfolders and Polytech Legends? [:o)]

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kimberkid: Truly, you are an honorable man. Perchance, do you have any originals by Monet, Manet, Cezanne or Gauguin? An NIB FAMAS, maybe? Surely, we would wish to express to the French our outrage.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    kimberkid: Truly, you are an honorable man. Perchance, do you have any originals by Monet, Manet, Cezanne or Gauguin? An NIB FAMAS, maybe? Surely, we would wish to express to the French our outrage.
    Alas no ... I'm a simple workin man, with simple tastes ... none of the french stuff ... not even a Chatterault(sp?).

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    My SIG toting conscience is clear.

I carry a handgun to defend my life. The best handgun I've found for this purpose happens to be German. When it comes to weapons there's no excuse for not carrying the best available to you.

The French, on the other hand, don't make anything I can't do without.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Txs, Is that it? I mean do we feel the French have zero to offer so to "boycott" them will take no personal sacrifice? Or is there some reason I have missed as to why the talk show hosts were bagging on the French and not the Germans. BTW I'm of German descent and recently bought a current production German firearm. It was after this purchase I started wondering about this subject. I must admit it's better than "Buyers remorse"!

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    When it comes to defensive weapons, "personal sacrifice" takes on a whole new meaning. Anyone who'll settle for an inferior weapon based on political reasons is a fool. Again, there's NO excuse for not having the very best weapon you can get-period.

Consider that the French have always been our allies and we've bailed them out more than once. Unlike Germany, I feel they've betrayed us.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Txs, Very good point. And thinking further in that direction Germany now being unified probably diluted their support for the US.