In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why ?

5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why am I getting these nasty,irritating little moles on my upper body,even in my arm pits?Little brown spots on my arms and back of my hands?And extra fast growing nose hairs,that seem to appear overnight?[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why would hot wax when poured onto a mix of sawdust, shredded paper, Pine needles and Pine cones flash with a whoooph like a igniting propane burner, blowing globs of burning wax in all directions? Maybe wax was too hot? Until I know for sure, I'm going to nurse my wounds and wonder.
    If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Watching a program about the making of swords/knives and a bit of history concerning them on TV.

They mentioned that there are a high number of swords found in riverbeds..and they cannot figure out why.

My opinion ?

Wound an animal, he will try to get to water...to cool the fever. I believe men would do the same. Remember..there was no medicine to speak of back in that day...and swords, clubs and knives leave terrible damage in soft tissue.
    A wounded man would perhaps go to the stream..carrying his sword..and never come out.

I have found a half-dozen deer dead in streams back in my time hunting...and tracked many more to streams and killed them there.
    They will go in the water and die there....
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your wax is parafin wax it emits fumes, explosive fumes.Clouder..
  • Options
    RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it is NOT really funny...but did you read .250savage post..."True Friends" on 01-06-02? er,..did you have any of your friends with you when you did it? In all sincerity I hope the injury was very minor...just gave me a mental picture....best to you 5db
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turpintine in the pine needles and cones?
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    May I ask why you were pouring very hot wax onto a bunch of combustible material?? Making a weatherproof firestarter maybe?Anyway, hope you feel better soon.
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    this is only a guess but the sawdust would have moisture in it and when hit with the very hot wax it ( the moisture ) may have turned to steam, kind of like when you have hot oil on the stove and you put the meat down in it, if theres any water on that meat its going to spatter grease all over. only my .02
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It was old candles, paraffin content un-known. Wife was only friend there, not a good thing though, just another reason for her to look at me suspiciously when I start a "Project".Maybe it was the pitch, maybe had a little more in that batch. Never known pitch to catch like that. Obviously I don't know all I should about such things. Yes, fire starters were the order of the day. Making them since 1999 ("Y2K" logs is what we call them) And had done the same procedure about 30 times Saturday before it Flashed. Getting the Wax off the scalp and out of my hair was quite exciting! My Bride wanted to help, I suggested she not for the sake of our relationship.....
  • Options
    Ms. BeastMs. Beast Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like it hurt! I think you should have let your wife help.....you would be more careful next time!!!
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is an old indian trick .slice a chunk of tread from your tire,I've started fires in pooring rain with tire rubber.(works with hondas and harleys too.)[This message has been edited by jet (edited 01-07-2002).]
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Tender to start a fire:Tire (mentioned above)Vaseline coated cotton ballsTPTrioxaneCalcium Promagate(sp)Charred wood (already been burned)
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tightly roll up a newspaper or part of one to get about a 1.5" cylinder. Tie with string every 2 or 3 inches and cut between the strings to make a lot of little cylinders. Soak in melted (but not flaming)parafin. Starts fast and burns long and hot enough to ignite damp wood.[This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 01-08-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey I like old Indian Tricks. No ignition was introduced. I'm thinking that the wax was too hot almost ready to ignite on it's own when I went to pour it onto the mix.Guys, The kids and I have been making these "logs" (about 16" long 3-4" diameter) for several years for use in the fireplace. We get a small measure of enjoyment from their use. My kids are now getting enjoyment out of calling me Richard....