In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Earthquake

will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
At least that I was awake for. We had one here in the KA high desert last night and I heard this one coming. Sounded light an M-1A rolling down the golf course road then everthing shook for 2 whole seconds and was over. Freaky I tell ya, real freaky. On a better note, I shot expert on the rifle range, again.
It has become my purpose in life to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~

Comments

• Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    will, I kind of got use to those quakes when I was there, but you never get use to what it could erupt into. Sure glad it wasnt a real rumbler for ya, thats not what we need right about now in this country.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We've had a few lately I found out this morning, guess I musta slept through 'em. I hope these littluns ain't the warning of bigger things to come. I hope they are leftovers from the 2000 quake they had here that was like a 6.7 or something. This one was a 4. something but way out in mine country.
    It has become my purpose in life to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A two second four doesn't even count.The fun ones are either the big jolts or the ones that go on for maybe thirty seconds or so. The biggest I have felt (Sylmar feb 9, 1971magnatude 6.6) threw me out of bed & I was at least fifty miles away. That's an A ride.Around 1970 I was on the phone to a customer in Chicago & she asked me what an earthquake felt like. Before I could answer we had a good long one, so I described it to her as itwas happening. [This message has been edited by gruntled (edited 04-06-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hell Gruntled, I swaped an eathquake to ya. Was you out shootin' 'bout midnight on Thursday?
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hehe shot expert? was it a buddy range? lol jokin
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was there for a number of them, but left in '91 before the big one that collapsed freeways in L.A. The ones I went through would shake your house up for a few seconds, and the one back in 69 or 70 tossed a few hundred gallons of water out of the apartment swimming pool. The funny thing about them is, during the first few you may not have the sense to take them seriously. I found that the more I went through, the more likely I was to head for a safer spot.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about security, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I looked up the Sylmar quake I found a great map with all the Kalifornia large earthquakes. You click on the colored circles & it tells you all about the quake.Tried to copy it here but couldn't.Win: If you find it you will see you are sitting right on top of some very big ones.(Ask around about the Lander's quake or the Yuca Valley quake.)A 7.0 would be 1000 times as great as a 4.0.
  • Options
    borderguyborderguy Member Posts: 387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lived here in Southern KAL all my life and have felt many quakes. Couple of weeks ago I was at a stoplight in my the car with my wife. It felt like the car was missing (from not having the sprkplugs changed), so I started getting on her pretty good about not having the car tuned up. Looked outside the window and saw all the other cars shaking and streetlights lights swaying and figured out pretty quick that it was an earthquake, not the car missing. Ended up taking her to dinner and avoiding a larger aftershock!!!