In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Preferred SKS?

RaupleminzeRaupleminze Member Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2008 in General Discussion
Hey guys starting to look into buying one of these and i see that Yugo's are available for about $190, but I know that there are Russian and Chinese models also. What is the best model? Are any of them built better than others quality wise? Do any of them shoot better than the others? Which one is more collectible?
Thanks,
Brian

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    norinco is best IMO
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Romanian is probably the best ... but that got me into an argument with
    a 'God-like fella' who folks around here used to worship - and nobody
    was ever supposed to argue with him - so I did and he left in a huff a
    few months later. I never quite figured that out.

Ask around and you'll get some good opinions. The Yugo barrels are
    generally not chromed and are heavier than the others. They shoot out
    faster.
    [8D]
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion an SKS is an SKS. Get the Yugo- for $190-like you said- this should be one that is unissued or excellent condition. If the grade is any less thatn excellent for that price- then you are getting ripped off.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    From what I understand, the Russian made ones are the best, most collectible and most valueable/expensive.
    The Yugo ones are built sturdier.
    And the Chinese are bring up the rear.
  • Options
    Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my Colt, I'm just kidding. It's been several years since I had an SKS.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    +1 on what fatstrat said!

If you got plenty of $$$ and can find one...get a Ruskie.
    If not, get a Yugo. The M-59 Yugo,(without grenade launcher) is rarer.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    All I really can tell you is my Yugo has been a great gun the entire time I have owned it! I shoot it quite often and have never had an issue.

$190 may be a little steep but not too bad. I have seen them go for a bit less here on GB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I own two Yugo's - one for me and one for my youngest. When we bought the
    Romanian the other two were unceremoniously delegated to truck guns up at
    the ranch.

I suggest you go to: http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

It'll give you perspective.

Here's a clip from the site that explains the Yugos and the unchromed barrels. I didn't
    know it at the time but Mark was dealing in them and didn't like me spreading around
    this 'propaganda' ... LOL ... like I cared.

Yugoslavia SKS M59/66A1 manufactured by the Zastava Ordnance /Red Banner Works from 1967 to 1970.

The M59 is practically a carbon copy of the Russian SKS and, was made at Red Banner from 1960-67. The 59/66 series was manufactured at Red Banner from 1967-70. Many M59s were converted to the 59/66 configuration during that time. Most of the 59s and 59/66s had beechwood stocks. Some Yugoslav 59s and 59/66s with teakwood stocks were made for export to Africa.

The main difference between other SKS rifles and the Yugoslav versions is that the bores of the Yugo versions were not chrome plated--Yugoslavia has no significant native chromium ore deposits, chromium was expensive to purchase and Yugoslavia's relationship with the USSR (a major chromium ore exporter) since 1948 was lukewarm at best. One reason Yugo SKS rifles (in fact all Yugoslav small arms seem "beefier") is because Yugoslav cartridges are much "hotter" loads than other similar "East Bloc" ammo, plus since Yugoslavia's manufacturing capacity was relatively limited, each weapon had to be more durable.
    [8D]
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    The Norincos are the Best.
  • Options
    Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I like the Rock Rivers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Raupleminze ... you've got mail.
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Yugo!!!!!!I love mine. Shoots great and fun to bump fire as well. There is a good article in this months GB magazine that explains it to.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    I own two Yugo's - one for me and one for my youngest. When we bought the
    Romanian the other two were unceremoniously delegated to truck guns up at
    the ranch.

I suggest you go to: http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

It'll give you perspective.

Here's a clip from the site that explains the Yugos and the unchromed barrels. I didn't
    know it at the time but Mark was dealing in them and didn't like me spreading around
    this 'propaganda' ... LOL ... like I cared.

Yugoslavia SKS M59/66A1 manufactured by the Zastava Ordnance /Red Banner Works from 1967 to 1970.

The M59 is practically a carbon copy of the Russian SKS and, was made at Red Banner from 1960-67. The 59/66 series was manufactured at Red Banner from 1967-70. Many M59s were converted to the 59/66 configuration during that time. Most of the 59s and 59/66s had beechwood stocks. Some Yugoslav 59s and 59/66s with teakwood stocks were made for export to Africa.

The main difference between other SKS rifles and the Yugoslav versions is that the bores of the Yugo versions were not chrome plated--Yugoslavia has no significant native chromium ore deposits, chromium was expensive to purchase and Yugoslavia's relationship with the USSR (a major chromium ore exporter) since 1948 was lukewarm at best. One reason Yugo SKS rifles (in fact all Yugoslav small arms seem "beefier") is because Yugoslav cartridges are much "hotter" loads than other similar "East Bloc" ammo, plus since Yugoslavia's manufacturing capacity was relatively limited, each weapon had to be more durable.
    [8D]

Please acknowledge that "I" am not the "Mark" you speak of![:D]
    I still have an arsenal refurb Yugo 59/66,......my other was sold.
    It was mall ninja style.
    Have never had an issue with any of them,......seems the Ruskies are prized though.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jhimco
    In my opinion an SKS is an SKS. Get the Yugo- for $190-like you said- this should be one that is unissued or excellent condition. If the grade is any less thatn excellent for that price- then you are getting ripped off.

+1 buy the cheapest sks you can. The yugo's are the current ones coming into the us enmass. There is no point paying more for a Russian or Chinese SKS unless you are a collector.
  • Options
    RaupleminzeRaupleminze Member Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So the Russian and the Chinese have the chrome-lined barrel and the Yugo's do not?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, correct.

No Marc - the other Mark was Mark Christianson - he got bored with many
    of his fans and moved on.I talked with him a few years ago and he said he
    was ready to go.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I have a norinco shorty and it shoots great. I also use a 30 round mag and have never had a jam. What does it mean to bump fire???
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    bump firing means holding the gun 'just so' by putting forward pressure on the stock so the recoil will operate the trigger very fast- almost like full auto. Personally I've never been able to do it.

I have a yugo and a norinco. I've also shot a russian. All are utterly reliable but the yugo with the longer, heavier bbl is most accurate.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    I had four SKSs, 1 Norinco "carbine" shorty with forged receiver and 3 Russian brand new ones, never fired made in the early 1950s. I bought all these about 12-13 years ago for about $80 - $85 each (that was then, this is now). All these have chrome-lined barrels.

I still have the Norinco and one of the Russian guns.

The Russian guns I had/have are absolutely beautifully made military guns, nicely fit and finished the Russian blue, blade bayonet, I believe, walnut stock, complete with all the accessories. I want to say that they appear to be of the same quality of US arms from the period. I sold the Russian gun that I fired quite a bit. I had no complaints about accuracy, once I zeroed in the iron sights.

The Chinese Norinco gun is also very nice, and as I say, has forged parts. It is solid, accurate, reliable, sturdy and as ugly as a used-up broomstick. To remedy that, I pulled off the ugly (beechwood?) Chinese stock and handguard and tossed them, removed the spike bayonet and tossed it, removed the rear sight (in my opinion, one of the SKSs few flaws) and removed the ten-round fixed magazine.

I replaced the stock with a Choate composite sporter-type stock and handguard, replaced the ten-round fixed magazine with a five-round fixed magazine and the rear sight with a Williams SKS rear peepsight.

At the time, around 1998 or so, for the Norinco and the refurb, the total cost was approximately:
    gun: 85 + 10 S&H + tax & fees = $125.00 total
    5-rd mag: $10.00
    stock assy.: $60.00 total
    rear sight: $20.00
    TOTAL = $215.00

Obviously they cost more now. However, the gun in this configuration is, to me the ideal truck gun, golf cart gun, all around brush gun, etc. It was cheap, is reliable and tough and I think I could leave it down in the creek for a year, bring it in, hose it off, oil up the action and have it shoot reliably without malfunction.

I have NO complaints about the Norinco gun. I would trust my life to it. However, if I had a Russian carbine SKS of the same quality as the unfired 1950s-made Russian rifle I still have, I think that would be my ideal choice for the SKS.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    One reason Yugo SKS rifles (in fact all Yugoslav small arms seem "beefier") is because Yugoslav cartridges are much "hotter" loads than other similar "East Bloc" ammo, plus since Yugoslavia's manufacturing capacity was relatively limited, each weapon had to be more durable.
    Well, Zip...
    With the exception of chrome lined bores...the Yugos are better built/"beefier", per Surplus Rifles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a '54 Tula I really like .... matter of fact, maybe I'll take it out next week.
    I actually forgot i owned it - haven't seen it in years!
    [:D]
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    If beefier built means better than you would never see lightwieght firearms.
    All your bolt action rifles would be 10lb+, if beefier means better built.
  • Options
    davealddaveald Member Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iv'e got no problem with any of the SKS's they don't seem to be the most accurate guns in the world, but you can put a lot of lead down field pretty quick.
    I recently picked up a 91-30 Mosin Nagant and with just the iron sights I shoot 5 outta 5 into a 5" pie pan at 200 yds.
    Seeing as we can't hunt with a rifle in Ohio I don't think I'll bother putting a scope on it.
  • Options
    Dakota308Dakota308 Member Posts: 4,162
    edited November -1
    get the one that uses AK mags
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by daveald
    Iv'e got no problem with any of the SKS's they don't seem to be the most accurate guns in the world, but you can put a lot of lead down field pretty quick.
    I recently picked up a 91-30 Mosin Nagant and with just the iron sights I shoot 5 outta 5 into a 5" pie pan at 200 yds.
    Seeing as we can't hunt with a rifle in Ohio I don't think I'll bother putting a scope on it.

I found adding a rubber slip on but cuff recoil pad to my Chinese "paratrooper" sks make's it easier to shoot alot more accurately. Adding a little to the lenth of pull really helps out.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ya, the machining on the russkies is a little better, but yugo or chinko are plenty good enough. the gun doesn't need quality machining or metal to make it as robust as it is.

what really made the russkies a better gun was the stock. I thought it was laminate, btw. I had a norinco and tried finding a russian stock to put on it, not found anywhere. at the time, if I remember right, a russian sks was going for about 400$.

I don't like any of the afermarket stocks, I do like the design of the original shorty stock way better but the wood is too soft. if they would make a replica of the original, clean kit hole and everything, out of synthetic, that would be just what the sks needs.

but they don't, so you can pay out the * for a russky with a nice stock or pay less for a yugo or chinese with a stock you probably won't really be happy with no matter what you do with it.

btw, as far as I know all the yugo's have grenade sights on them and extra doodads stuck on up by the muzzle that you'll never use since you don't have any rifle grenades to use with it. that's a minus.

so, I'd recommend the norinco.
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:buschmaster

Posted - 04/01/2008 : 11:10:43 AM
    ya, the machining on the russkies is a little better, but yugo or chinko are plenty good enough. the gun doesn't need quality machining or metal to make it as robust as it is.

what really made the russkies a better gun was the stock. I thought it was laminate, btw. I had a norinco and tried finding a russian stock to put on it, not found anywhere. at the time, if I remember right, a russian sks was going for about 400$.

I don't like any of the afermarket stocks, I do like the design of the original shorty stock way better but the wood is too soft. if they would make a replica of the original, clean kit hole and everything, out of synthetic, that would be just what the sks needs.

but they don't, so you can pay out the * for a russky with a nice stock or pay less for a yugo or chinese with a stock you probably won't really be happy with no matter what you do with it.

btw, as far as I know all the yugo's have grenade sights on them and extra doodads stuck on up by the muzzle that you'll never use since you don't have any rifle grenades to use with it. that's a minus.

so, I'd recommend the norinco.

The yugo m59 dont.