In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone have a folding stock on a shotgun?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited July 2004 in General Discussion
A buddy just left he had a Remington 870 12ga with a top-folding stock, front pistol grip short barrel,heat sheild the whole nine yards. Anyone have one with a folding stock. Do you prefer top or side folders? How does it handle. Are they usefull or are these a waste of money. Whats your thoughts on them. I thought it looked neat.

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Load it with heavy buckshot loads. Fire a full magazine with the stock extended, from the shoulder. Now do it again with the stock folded.

You will put the conventional stock back on.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older style that has two bars that slide forward on each side of the receiver on a 870. It is by far the best design I've seen but not real handy for civilian anything...and the bars are hard on the cheekbone.

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I got a Butler Creek sidefolder on my Mossy and it is very comfortable to shoot. Some of them folders look like they'd hurt pretty bad.

20046308164675993612545.jpg

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    If the ban expires I will activate this slider...

Benelli%20M1014%20WoodFloorSmall.JPG

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

You've got some nice guns Mateomasfeo...I'm envious![^]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Knoxx Copstock Folder and blast away with your heaviest loads.......it's the cat's meow. Put one on my HD shotgun and liked so much so I put one on the turkey gun for light travel and soft recoil.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

You've got some nice guns Mateomasfeo...I'm envious![^]

Eric

Thanks Eric!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Nunn's right, keep the full stock and stuff it under your arm, "Rhodesian" style. Lot's more comfortable and accurate to shoot!

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mateo, why do you have to wait for the ban to expire? Folding stock and Pistol grip, that's only two evil features. The gun should be perfectly legal unless your state has something against it.
  • Options
    PointindogPointindog Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Choate top folder on a Rem 870 and Moss 590. I like it on the Rem 870 but not on the Moss 590, the top folder covers the safety when closed on the Moss 590; If there was a an offset available for the Moss 590 it would help alot, but I don't know of anyone making those.
    As for shooting them they both shoot great open and closed as well if your strong enough to handle the recoil to shoot it safely.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mooseyard
    Mateo, why do you have to wait for the ban to expire? Folding stock and Pistol grip, that's only two evil features. The gun should be perfectly legal unless your state has something against it.

Wrong. I'll try to find the statute and post it here.

SEMI-AUTOMATIC shotguns fall under a different federal provision. If semi-auto, and correct me GB'ers if I misstate, it cannot have a magazine of more than 5, cannot have a collapsable stock and pistol grip.

I'll re-check and post

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• Options
    edited November -1
    OK, here ya go, the rules for SEMIAUTO shotguns:

Federal restrictions:

In 1994, it became unlawful to manufacture an assault weapon or normal capacity magazine (over 10 rounds) except for export or for sale to a government or law enforcement agency. The federal definition of assault weapon includes the following points of physical similarity to military weapons:

A semiautomatic rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and has more than one of the following features: pistol grip, folding or telescoping stock, flash suppressor, threaded barrel, grenade launcher, or bayonet lug.

A semi-automatic shotgun that has more than one of the following features: pistol grip, folding or telescoping stock, detachable magazine, fixed magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.

A semiautomatic pistol that can accept a detachable magazine that has more than one of the following features: magazine attaches to the pistol outside the grip, threaded barrel, weight of 1.42 kg or more unloaded, barrel shroud, or a semiautomatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

So as you can see, my Benelli would be in violation if I put either the mag tube extension (it would then have a pistol grip AND a mag capable of more than 5 rounds) or the telescoping stock (pistol grip AND telescoping stock).

So what have we learned today class?

1. Semi-auto shotguns have their own set of rules
    2. Can only have ONE evil feature as defined above
    3. That the AWB is a hopelessly complex, ineffective piece of legislation that even us gun guys have a hard time following.

So to be concise, when the AWB expires I will be adding not only the telescoping stock, but also the mag tube extension.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand corrected, I was under the impression that they were both covered under the same rules.
    Jess
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I think I'm going to have to get one.[8D] Very cool pics guys.

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat