In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer guys (1911a1fan)?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I started having problems with my computer, it would just shut off finally it wouldn't even come on. So I pulled the drive come to find out where the cable connects from the MB to the HD the hard drive was broke not getting a good connection[B)]. Maybe I can get it to work just to pull the data off. Have you ever seen that happen? And I haven't messed with this drive for a good 6 months so I don't know how it would have broke.

Comments

• slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Put it in another computer. Are you saying the MB connector is broken or the one on the HD? BTW: Your MB has 2 IDE connectors.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    2 IDE connectors, and each can handle 2 drives....

quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    Put it in another computer. Are you saying the MB connector is broken or the one on the HD? BTW: Your MB has 2 IDE connectors.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    The one on the HD is broke so I just can't get a good connection even in another computer (tried). Yes I know the MB has 2 connectors I have 2 HD's in it. So now I'll just install win xp on the other drive and call it a day[:p]. I'd just like to have an idea what would have made it brake.
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D
    The one on the HD is broke so I just can't get a good connection even in another computer (tried). Yes I know the MB has 2 connectors I have 2 HD's in it. So now I'll just install win xp on the other drive and call it a day[:p]. I'd just like to have an idea what would have made it brake.

Sometimes they just break from the constant heat changes and get brittle. If you really wanted the data, you could probably fix it. Either by re-soldering the connector or else replacing the circuit board with another one of the same type.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Replacing works, but it must the the *same* in every way - maker, capacity, model number...

quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    quote:Originally posted by D@D

Sometimes they just break from the constant heat changes and get brittle. If you really wanted the data, you could probably fix it. Either by re-soldering the connector or else replacing the circuit board with another one of the same type.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking of trying a usb external enclosure maybe it will work a little better.