In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

how do you introduce a new puppy to your old dog?

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
me and my girlfreind will be getting a new pup in 6weeks when it is ready.it is a black lab/rottwieler.my current dog is 5 and doesnt like other dogs to well.it used to like other dogs and things changed after my other dog passed away.then it hated other dogs,so how am i gonna introduce these 2[?]my dog when my old roomate got a kitten my dog would pick it up gently and carry it around the house and would mother it and clean it and follow the kitty but would never hurt it.i just hope he will be nice to this puppy.so how do i ntroduce the two of them and how do i keep the puppy away from his food dish[?]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
SEMPER FI

Comments

• SamieJ1959SamieJ1959 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds mean to use a muzzle, but they were invented for a reason. For the first couple of days, put a muzzle on your old dog when around the puppy so the old dog can't bite the puppy. If you see the old dog get aggressive around the puppy, pick up the puppy and talk sweet to the old dog and pet the puppy while the old dog is watching closely. Rub the puppy on the old dog so the old dog will know that the puppy belongs. Be sure to praise the old dog when it is nice to the puppy.

You get out of life what you put into it. If you put nothing, you get nothing.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Work up a good sweat wearing an old shirt. Wrap the pup in your shirt while introducing them. the familiar scent of it's master on the pup will let the dog know it's one of the pack.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • maboogermabooger Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We actually had more problems getting the puppy not to bite the older dogs. Even though she was half their size she was like Tigger & pounced around biting them all. Those puppy teeth hurt !!!
    I usually tried to feed the puppy while the other dogs were outside & then fed the others while I entertained the puppy elsewhere.
    Only had to do it for a little while - now they all eat together without too much growling[B)]
  • SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ma, we have a time with that too.. Abby thinks Cairo is her mobile chew toy.. She is forever getting in trouble for jumping on the old girl... Cairo will be 16 in June..
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put leads on both and take them for a walk in "neutral" territory. Let them interact there. That way "old dog" won't think it has to protect it's territory. We've done that with each dog we've adopted and it works like a charm and in very little time.

Mudge the trainer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    The neutral territory trick works great.when we had dogs we just walked our older dog away from our yard and out of sight of our house and introduced her to our new puppy. They sniffed back ends and were great friends for years.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    The ONLY Way to go:

NEUTRAL TERRITORY
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:how do you introduce a new puppy to your old dog?
    New puppy, this is old dog. Old dog, this is new puppy.....[:D][}:)][;)]
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    put the puppy down and step away. Dont interfere with the intro unless it gets ugly. As for the food bowl, Thats a tough one. If your dogs like mine, You dont touch her food bowl. Mabye buy a child gate and put it across the room that contains the food bowl, only allowing the adult dog to eat with the gate closed at specific times.

Good luck

Larry
  • sitkablacktailsitkablacktail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would just bring it in the house and let them sort it out, I just got a very nice 3 year old pure bread lab from the pound that was given up to replace my old lab that I put down this summer and my other lab is eight and I just brought the new dog in the house and let them figure it out, there were some growling and stuff but after a month they are fine. Dogs a social animals and will tend to get a pecking order figured out pretty quick. The one thing I always do show the older dog the respect it deserves as in he gets fed first, gets treats first, when I come home the new dog runs up and wants to say hello I walk past him and go to the older dog and he gets the I'm home pet first.
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never had any trouble introducing a pup to the old dogs. Most of the time the older dogs watch over the pups as if they were their own. The only trouble has been introducing older dogs to each other. Best of luck with the new pup!
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put them together and let them go they will work it out they have pack instincts only break it up if you see blood old dog will put puppy in its place

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the old dog out for a nice dinner and arrange for the new pup to "just happen to pass by" the table. That way if the old dog does'nt like the new one for some reason, he won't dare make a scene in front of everyone...[:D] B.B.
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Unless your dog is real mean just put the two together and watch them close for awhile. Older dogs will not generally attack a pup unless they are dog as* mean. He will growl a little but that will pass with time. Your older dog will always be king and they will get into small scraps once in a while but nothing serious. Make sure you separate them when you go out until they are comfortable with each other.

It's All Crapola!!!
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    A couple of beers, some soft music, dimmed lights... [:D]
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    might I suggest a good wine in place of the beer? Much better mood enhancer[:D][:D][:D]quote:Originally posted by steeltoe1978
    A couple of beers, some soft music, dimmed lights... [:D]

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Nobody mentioned bringing flowers or candy! [:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • skipjackoneskipjackone Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With steak sauce.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    put it near the old dogs food dish. authority and pecking order will be established real quick.[:p]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.