In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do away with the POW/MIA Flag

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Please read and take a few moments to send a response to this "dude" or his boss, the Chicago Times. Just a short C&P....

Subject: Chicago Times reporter wants to do away with the POW/MIA Flag

Chicago Sun Times, February 4, 2004, Neil Steinberg ,
Wednesday, February 4, 2004

When can we get rid of those black POW/MIA flags that have been
flying under the American flag for the past 30 years? Or are we stuck
with them forever? I'm all for honoring vets, but the black flag has
always had negative overtones, having originated in Rambo paranoia
centered around the belief that American prisoners were still in
Vietnam years after the war ended and the government was for some
reason concealing the fact. The flags, in addition to honoring
sacrifice, also suggest, unfairly, something shameful about the
country, or at least they did. Now vets say they are just a generic
tribute to all the prisoners of war and missing in action. Perhaps.
But there are better ways to honor U.S. service personnel. The flags
will probably disappear one by one, as those who care passionately
about them move on. A good thing, too.

I hope everyone that reads this will email this Chicago Sun Times columnist about this article he wrote on February 4th. His email address is nsteinberg@suntimes.com

You can also post your "feedback" to the Chicago Sun Times at
http://www.suntimes.com/geninfo/feedback.html

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks NIGHT STALKER for the heads up. The rag called the CHICAGO TIMES has always gotten my dander up. But what can you expect from DEMOKRAT land Headed by the ghost of DAILY??

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • giantgiant Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Email sent

Don't die for your Country make your enemy die for his

Keep everything as simple as possible but no simpler
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    EMAIL SENT

I KNOW A NICE DEEP DARK JUNGLE IN BRAZIL WE COULD DROP THIS GUY OFF IN..THEN MAYBE HE WOULD CHANGE HIS VIEWS WHAT A PUNK[B)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Chicago Times reporter wants to do away with the POW/MIA Flag
    How about if we just do away with the reporter instead? [:(!]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    I AGREE TO THAT WE SHOULD MAKE HIM DO A STORY ON MISSING REPORTERS IN AFGHANISTAN....[}:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunner, Target!
    Chicago times, 2 o'clock!
    NASTY-GRAM...UP!
    Target Aquired!

ON THE WAY!

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • giantgiant Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont have one now but I after hearing that I think I will go get a POW/MIA flag to fly

Don't die for your Country make your enemy die for his

Keep everything as simple as possible but no simpler
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    0311marine
    quote:I AGREE TO THAT WE SHOULD MAKE HIM DO A STORY ON MISSING REPORTERS IN AFGHANISTAN

Lets try Colombia, don't forget your borthers in arms there [:)]
    the place no one talks about.

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just FYI this is my letter to the editor:

Chicago Sun Times, February 4, 2004, Neil Steinberg. Do away with the POW/MIA Flag? What Mr Steinberg proposes borders on treason. The moronic comparisons and conections drawn to the Flag and supposed conspiracy theories are not relevant. The brave soldiers who have fallen in service of our great nation, but have never been brought home deserve to be remembered by all who they fought for. How dare this man suggest that a memorial has become old and trite. Who is he to decide, or even suggest this? No doubt someone who has never lost a friend, family member or comrade in war. Why not suggest that police officers remove the black bands from their badges? Why don't we tear down the Vietnam Memorial wall? Turn Battery Park in New York into a parking lot? Maybe Arlington National Cemetary would be a great spot for a Mall? Our country has a rich history, and our military has played a huge part in not only the history of the U.S., but also of the world. I'm sorry, but if your reporter finds the POW/MIA flag to be burdensome, then maybe he should think of the brave men and women it represents and the burdens they faced for us.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I wonder what kind of flaming idiot writes this trash. My e mail of disgust has been sent.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the Heads-up! Mail was sent......[8]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... NRA & Friends of the NRA
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS
    Thanks for all the help!
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Mail has been sent [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    BTT [}:)]

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sick son of a onager[V]

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • lurkerlurker Member Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey -

I got an idea --- let's grab him and tie him to a flagpole and make a flag outta him!

Miserable piece of garbage................
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    That piece of puke can kiss my *![:(!]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Email sent!!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • alarmguyalarmguy Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS, THAT BUM SHOULD UNDERSTAND BETTER THAN ANYBODY.
    ABOUT POW/MIA'S

E-MAIL SENT
  • ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    Email sent. I hope that some one sends him to Iraq. They will know what to do with him over there.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Stalker, Thanks for the notice. You know, somewhere along the way this society of ours has accepted and embraced as an undeniable truth that "everybody has a right to his opinion" then took the logical leap that "everyboby has the right to express his opinion." Well that's just not so and that fact is clearly demonstrated when this jerk put pen to paper to incite some kind of interest in his column while pretending to have espressed some thoughtful opinion. Rot! But you know what, it works for him and his rag. It gets people talking about him and the Times and that's all they want.

Recently there was an exhaustive thread here on whether things that are true can be offensive or some such semantic tangle. Well I find this MIA/POW flag article very offensive and in a very personal way, and I'll stop now by saying that the most offensive events are the true and real ones and that is why they are especially offensive - they are not Mad Magazine cartoons or satires.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    E-mail sent. Thanks for the heads up.

Never forget

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What an idiot this guy is or perhaps calling him an idiot is an insult to idiots.

Those little black flags flying underneath Old Glory are a symbol reminding us each day that our freedom and liberties are not free and come with a price and good men and women have payed dearly and are paying dearly for our freedom and liberties.

While in Ottawa last fall for the Korean War 50th Anniversary Ceremonies I can't tell you how many Canadian vets said how much they admired and enveyed the US for always honoring and memorializing it's war vets.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Problem is, this is more than likely PRECISELY what the guy wanted when he wrote what he knew to be an inflammatory article: buttloads of attention. That fellow is probably laughing his keister off right now, telling his boss/editor: "Look at all these angry e-mails my flag article generated! Oh, boy, Murray, we sure hit a nerve with this one." And Murray, sitting at his desk with a big crap-eating grin on his face, is saying "Yeah---you should think of doing a followup, cheese these redneck ex-military types off even more."
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Letters to columnist and management sent . . . not that I expect much for results from that rag.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry folks, he has a point. it does cause a conflict in patriotizm when flown with the american flag. all other flags in the vicinity of old glory ARE suppose to bring respect to it. I/E: a church flies old glory in its corners with the church flag opposite it. it means the church respects america and america respects our church. yes, the pow flag works as a reminder that america hasnt forgotten, but simultaniously it reminds people that america dropped the ball. it shouldnt be. im for a pow flag being flown off the mast where the stars and stripes are not seen, not as an accompaniment to our flag. and no...i am a republican. and yes, im a vet. and rather than spouting off, stop and read into my post and you might see what im saying if you give it serious thought.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.