In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-14 part kits

CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
edited May 2006 in General Discussion
Where can you buy them, how much do they normally go for?

Ive been looking around, and it seems New receivers go for $500-$600(enterprise arms are $600-$1000, but sound to be the best)
New barrels seem to be anywhere from $250-$400 (douglas vs kreiger stainless vs not, etc).

I should have the money saved up by mid summer ot buy an M1a, but was wondering if it would be cheaper to build one(as well as possibly more fun)

Looking on GB i saw only 1 (used)part kit (auction ends today in a few hours)
its currently at $515, and requires a receiver+barrel.
This would put the total cost to about 550+600+250/400= $1300-$1550,
which does not seem all that much cheaper than a new or lightly used springfield armory M1A.

Does anyone know any other sources of complete M-14 parts kits (minus receiver+barrel), and what tools are needed to complete them?

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CA sucks
    Looking on GB i saw only 1 (used)part kit (auction ends today in a few hours)its currently at $515, and requires a receiver+barrel.

$515 for a bolt, follower, operating rod, operating rod spring, trigger housing and maybe one or two other incidental parts? What am I missing here? Save your money and buy a preban Springfield (when they made them like they're supposed to be made) and stop farting around with Enterprise receivers, Kreiger barrels and donkey parts kits.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    Looking on GB i saw only 1 (used)part kit (auction ends today in a few hours)its currently at $515, and requires a receiver+barrel.

$515 for a bolt, follower, operating rod, operating rod spring, trigger housing and maybe one or two other incidental parts? What am I missing here? Save your money and buy a preban Springfield (when they made them like they're supposed to be made) and stop farting around with Enterprise receivers, Kreiger barrels and donkey parts kits.

(GASP)[:0] Not an FAL?[:I]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,414 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Bought my M1A five years ago for $1285 new.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep

Not to mention your going to need special tools to assemble it!

You can easily pick up a pre-ban Springfield for $1,000 or less ... and if you have a problem with it take advantage of their "Lifetime Warranty"!
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like Entreprise double lugged recievers. I'd get just that reciever, and then purchase a McMillian M3A stock, a Kreiger Heavyweight SSTL barrel, send it off to Fulton Armory and have them assemble it into a peerless grade. Avoid using junk parts or cast repro's... And if you decide to mount a scope, I seriously wouldn't use anything other than maybe an ARMS mount.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or maybe just buy a fulton armory rifle. www.fulton-armory.com
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Get the best Smith Enterprises in Tempe AZ.
    Will only set you back around $3,000-$6,000 will all Mil-Spec parts on a FORGED receiver, and takes from 3 to 6 months for delivery.
    Or buy a Springfield with lifetime warranty to the ORGINAL BUYER.
    Bought a Springfield Blue NM "Loaded" on a "CAST" Receiever about 3 months ago, paid $1245 with tax out the door.
    Walte
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    were early s.a. receivers cast or forged? 030xxx?

dances...the other parts:
    trigger 'group.' the housing is just the frame.
    gas piston
    gas piston assy
    gas piston plate
    front site blade
    rear site assy
    flash hider assy
    bbl heat guard w/ clip
    buttplate assy
    mag release
    bolt holdback
    stripper clip guide
    sling
    heres my orange killer. all usgi NM s.a. double lugged and bedded sam dayton M1A, obermyer 10-1/5R s/s heavy bbl. it was built around M852 168gr bthp match 7.62. it took 3 years from start to finish.
    m1a.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang they are getting expensive! My brand new M1A from springfield with the select grade stock was $800 and some change in 1983/84.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski

gas piston
    gas piston assy
    gas piston plate
    front site blade
    rear site assy
    flash hider assy
    bbl heat guard w/ clip
    buttplate assy
    mag release
    bolt holdback
    stripper clip guide
    sling

Yes, the early SA receivers were forged. And I'm still not seeing anywhere near $515+ worth of parts there.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski

gas piston
    gas piston assy
    gas piston plate
    front site blade
    rear site assy
    flash hider assy
    bbl heat guard w/ clip
    buttplate assy
    mag release
    bolt holdback
    stripper clip guide
    sling
    heres my orange killer. all usgi NM s.a. double lugged and bedded sam dayton M1A, obermyer 10-1/5R s/s heavy bbl. it was built around M852 168gr bthp match 7.62. it took 3 years from start to finish.
    m1a.jpg

I like oranges. Don
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think the big ticket is 'labor' more than parts. labor includes rejecting non matchable parts too. which means sometimes you have to buy 2 of everything to give a smith room to build.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.