In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Weather Forecasting... A lost art?

dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I often wonder if technilogical advancements in weather forcasting haven't pushed us backwards. I seem to remember 35-30 years ago when a weatherman made his long range forecast (weekend weather on the previous Monday)it seemed to be more reliable than today. Now days I don't trust a forcast further than two days out and that is pushing it. I'm not just talking being a few degrees off in temp. I mean an outright turnaround. While we have some valuable technological tools for forcasting weather I wonder if meteorologist have become too dependent on that info and are no longer able to read the signs that nature gives them. It seems they are able to predict some short range conditions with amazing precision and accuracy but long range is just a turkey shoot. Maybe it is just that they are trying to be "too" accurate in long range predictions or are we just expecting too much?

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i ve found lately the best forecast is to look out the door when i get up in the morning.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    With all this Doppler and Double Doppler radar junk, they still cant get it right, yesterday it actually said it was raining, on the TV weatherstation, looked outside and not a cloud in the sky. OH Well Just look out the door, and wait five minutes, it will change..

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worse here in DC. The winds or something are so screwed up they have trouble predicting the next day.

Not kidding, a few days back they predicted ice all night and horrible traffic the next morning; predicted at 6pm. Following morning, totally dry and relatively warm.

I should get paid to predict weather. Prabably do a better job.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pollution and global warming has rendered forecasting invalid. forecasting is based on theory. the thoery is based on known scientific facts. if the air, wind, earth, or water is altered, the facts become altered. thus, the forecasting is worthless. its why they call them weather guessers. its anyones guess. just watch the temp charts around nyc someday as a cold front passes thru west to east. it approaches as 30 deg and turns 35 as it goes thru the city. then conn gets 35 instead of 30. its turns rain from the cities heat and air pollution clouds, but they foreacasted snow. follow me? its all our faults and no one is spared the blame.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.