In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Two cops killed

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited August 2004 in General Discussion
MISHAWAKA, Indiana (AP) -- A gunman killed two police officers who attempted to arrest him early Saturday, then took his own life after reportedly telling witnesses, "I can't take this anymore."

The officers were sent to investigate a complaint that gunshots had been fired in a residential neighborhood, and they were shot while trying to make an arrest, Capt. Mike Samp said at a news conference.

The gunman then entered the home of Andrew Moreno, sat down in the kitchen and reloaded his gun, Moreno told WNDU-TV of South Bend.

"He then said 'I can't take this anymore.' He told us to leave. ... We walked to the doorway still looking at him, he cocked the gun and put it up against his head, and we said 'No!' but by that time he had pulled the trigger," Moreno said.

Police identified the gunman as Raymond Matthew Gilkeson, 30, of Mishawaka.

Police Cpl. Thomas Roberts died at the scene, and Patrolman Bryan S. Verkler died in surgery, authorities said.

Mishawaka is about six miles from South Bend.

troop_blink3.gif

Comments

• Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    2 officers killed in shoot-out
    One officer wounded
    PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- Two Phoenix police officers were killed and a third wounded Saturday night during a shoot-out at an apartment complex, authorities said.

The man believed to have shot the officers was found dead following a two-hour stand off with police.

The identities of the victims weren't immediately available.

Police were called to the apartment complex Saturday afternoon and found one person shot in the courtyard, said Police Commander Kim Humphrey. The person's condition and identity were unclear.

Authorities evacuated the area and a man began shooting when officers neared a doorway, Humphrey said. Two officers were killed and a third was struck and was undergoing surgery at a Phoenix hospital late Saturday.

Other officers fired back and the man retreated into an apartment, Humphrey said.

A stand off ensued, ending when a tactical team used tear gas and entered the home.

Inside, officers found the suspect dead from a gunshot wound, Humphrey said. It's unclear whether he was killed by police or whether he shot himself.

Delta.gif

Extreme moments of horror should be met with extreme actions of preventive retribution

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my youth the most!