In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Dad has passed............

gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
My Father, died last night at 5:28pm at Mercy hospital in Minniappolis. He spent the last years/days of his life battling emphesema, alcoholism,and tobacco use. He was 60 years old and he never got to see his Grandson. I didnt know him well, but I feel grief and emotional pain that I didnt think existed. Deep sorrow I guess.

Pray for us please,

Comments

• Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    That's tough. Lost mine at aged 55.
    Sorry to hear it. Only time helps
    to heal - in the long run. If there
    is pain ... it will slowly subside.

Scott

PS: As an aside;

Just read Nunn's response.

That's REALLY good advice.

About three months before
    my dad died in his sleep -
    suddenly and unexpectedly -
    I had a heart to heart and
    thanked him - for everything
    - over a couple of burgers
    up in Santa Monica.

I can still can see the look on
    his face as he realized his
    eldest (idiot) child had
    (finally) grown up.

It's made it a LOT easier
    throughout my life.

If YOUR dad (or mom) is 'still
    with us,' I suggest you drop
    everything and do it NOW!

Don't miss the chance ... do it
    now! Trust me on this one![8D
  • Options
    OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers are up....
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lost mine at 55 as well, and we were also estranged. There was still an ineffable sadness at his passing; a shame we didn't get the time to know each other or for him to meet his grandchildren. I still think of him often. My sincere condolences to you.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that, Larry. You're in our thoughts.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    Condolences and prayer from here, too.

I count myself fortunate. The last time I spoke with my dad, we hugged and he said, "I love you, son." He died three days later.
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thoughts and prayers sent from minnesota...
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    You have my prayers. May you and your family know God's comfort and peace in this time of grief.

Ramtinxxl
  • Options
    stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my prayers are with you and your family
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You and your family will be in out thoughts and Prayers.

Regards!
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Very sorry to hear that, its a hard time in life.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about you loss. Close or not the loss of a parent is always a big shock. Lost my dad to aolchol at age 49, were not close but it affects you more than you can understand.

I am now 64 myself and decided to try to stay around for my son.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I am very sorry for your loss. You and your family have my prayers.
  • Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear. Take care.
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    i truly understand your loss and sorrow, my father has been gone for just a little over a year and a half now, and i truly miss him.
    my condolences to you and your family and you will of course be in my prayers.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    My condolences to you for your loss.
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss gun runner.
    Prayers sent out for you and him.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry for your loss, and I will be thinking about you and yours and hopeing for the best.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my heart is absolutely broken for you.
    i mourn with you.
    CALL ME if you need someone to talk with.
    take a few days off and relive good memories of him.
    tell us all about him and how you feel. post away. we will listen to every word, for your sake.
    may GOD bless you and your family richly, in your time of loss.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    My mother passed 4 years ago, and not a day goes by that I don't miss her, although the grief does lessen with time.
    My dear 72 year old father, who had battled his alchohol-demons for years on-and-off the wagon, went into a tailspin, culminating in hospitalization in a "28 day" program last spring. March 18th he celebrated his first full year substance-free. He looks better than he has in years, and states that he feels the best that he can remember.
    I didn't tell this story to make you feel bad in any way. My thoughts are with you and yours.
    I read your post and I am again reminded of how truly fortunate my father has been to have been given his "second chance," as well as my siblings and my children are to have him in our presence. Not a phone or visit ends without a "Luv you...."
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss...
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very sorry to hear of your loss, may God bless you and yours during this time.
  • Options
    usar1usar1 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss, prayers and condolences to you and your family
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gr,

My heart goes out for you and the family. I had to face that about 20 years ago with my dad and about 3 years later with my mom. I still think about them after all these years.

This might sound mean sprited but hear me out. We are the lucky ones. This is how life and death is planned. We age and finally pass away and leave our kids and perhaps grandkids. Let me tell you a little story about the not so lucky ones.

In Feb '62 I was visiting my folks in scenic Peoria and got a call in the early morning that my uncle Bill (mom's brother) had died from a heart attack. I drove mom & dad to Indy where I and my grandparents lived to tell them that there son had died. They were among the not so lucky ones. That's not the way life (and death) is suppose to occur.

It was the longest drive of my life.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very sorry gun runner. I dread the day it happens to me. Mine survived a 95%-fatal aneurism 2 years ago and is still with us,thank God. He'll be 74 next month. Love you Dad.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    May God bless you and your family. Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear this. May God bless you and yours.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Larry - if you are in minnesota for the services, please let me know if there is anything i can do to help. maybe find a hotel, buy you are your family a meal, ANYTHING. i know there are several members here on the board that are "local" to the cities..

scott
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    We are sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    We will be thinking about you and yours.
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Actually, I may just take you up on that. Im going to be heading up there around the 8th or 9th of May to pick up his personal effects and might need help finding a motel in Andover and directions from the airport. I may also have to put some of his stuff in storage up there and most likely will need a way to get it there. We wont be having any services there because my Dad did not have any freinds really. He was a recluse. I plan to have him cremated and I will place him in the burial plot his mother purchased for him in Clairmont New Hampshire when I can. I plan on driving his vehicle back to Illinois if its able to make it. I think its a Tracker. Not the best vehicle in the world but it was his and I want it. Thank you for the offer. I suppose I will email you and go from there. Thanks everyone for you kind wishes. quote:Originally posted by MN HunterLarry - if you are in minnesota for the services, please let me know if there is anything i can do to help. maybe find a hotel, buy you are your family a meal, ANYTHING. i know there are several members here on the board that are "local" to the cities..

scott
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My condolences for your loss.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,411 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    So sorry to hear of your loss.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gun_runner
    Actually, I may just take you up on that. Im going to be heading up there around the 8th or 9th of May to pick up his personal effects and might need help finding a motel in Andover and directions from the airport. I may also have to put some of his stuff in storage up there and most likely will need a way to get it there. We wont be having any services there because my Dad did not have any freinds really. He was a recluse. I plan to have him cremated and I will place him in the burial plot his mother purchased for him in Clairmont New Hampshire when I can. I plan on driving his vehicle back to Illinois if its able to make it. I think its a Tracker. Not the best vehicle in the world but it was his and I want it. Thank you for the offer. I suppose I will email you and go from there. Thanks everyone for you kind wishes. quote:Originally posted by MN HunterLarry - if you are in minnesota for the services, please let me know if there is anything i can do to help. maybe find a hotel, buy you are your family a meal, ANYTHING. i know there are several members here on the board that are "local" to the cities..

scott

Larry - whatever you need, ill try and help to the best of my ability.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll say a prayer for your dad.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a very religious man, but I'll be thinking of your family. Sorry to hear this.[V]
  • Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very sorry to hear of your loss
  • Options
    KK Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only hope that you and your family find peace.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss .........
    Sincerely !
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    I offer my most humble condolences. May God see you and your family through this time of suffering and loss. Prayers sent.