In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buying a Firearm for Self-Defense is More Harmful Than Helpful for Consumers

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Buying a Firearm for Self-Defense is More Harmful Than Helpful for Consumers 9/21/01this! http://www.jointogether.org/gv/wire/press_releases/reader.jtml?Object_ID=545852 For Immediate Release:September 21, 2001Contact Information:Susan Peschin Consumer Federation of America Foundation1424 16th Street, NW, Suite 604Washington, DC 20036Phone: (202) 939-1017 www.consumerfed.org Buying a Firearm for Self-Defense in the Wake of Terrorist Attacks is More Harmful Than Helpful for ConsumersWashington, DC - Buying a firearm for self-defense in the wake of last week's terrorist attacks is more harmful than helpful for America's consumers -- Consumer Federation of America Foundation (CFAF) stated today. CFAF's "Facts to Consider When Considering Buying a Firearm" ask consumers to think about the following:Having a firearm in the home is more dangerous than protectiveFirearms are more likely to be used in crime than to prevent themFirearms could have safety-related defectsResearch that supports the use of firearms for self-defense is flawed"The terrorist attacks naturally made people afraid, but buying a firearm for self-protection gives the consumer nothing more than a false sense of safety," CFAF Firearms Project Director Susan Peschin stated. Facts to Consider when Considering Buying a Firearm for Self-DefenseGuns have long been seen as tools of self-defense in the United States. But, unintended consequences often happen when people buy guns for self-defense. Consider the following: Having a Firearm in the Home is More Dangerous than ProtectiveStudies by public health professionals have repeatedly found that having a gun around for any reason increases the likelihood that a family member -- as opposed to a criminal -- will be injured or killed with a gun. For example, a September 17, 2001 Associated Press article reported that a 3 year-old boy from Virginia had fatally shot himself with a handgun his father said he brought into the house for protection after the terrorist attacks. A 1997 American Journal of Public Health study showed that family members that had a history of buying a handgun were twice as likely to die in a suicide or homicide as were persons who had no such family history of gun purchase. This increased risk persisted for more than five years after the handgun was purchased. Other studies have looked specifically at the more narrow question of keeping guns in the home for self-defense. One study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, found that having a gun in the home made it nearly three times more likely that someone in the family would be killed. The risk of firearm-related homicide is particularly high for women, who are most likely to be killed by a spouse, intimate acquaintance, or close relative. A 1997 study in the Archives of Internal Medicine examined risk factors for violent death of women in the home. The study found that women who were killed by a spouse, lover, or close relative usually were killed in the context of a quarrel, physical domestic fight, or assault. Homicide was frequently followed by the perpetrator committing suicide, and a handgun was the weapon most frequently used. When looking at the risk of a woman being killed at the hands of a spouse, intimate acquaintance, or close relative, the authors found that having one or more guns in the home made a woman 7.2 times more likely to be the victim of such a homicide. Even the gun press admits the risk. Describing the demise of so-called "lintel guns," firearms hung over the door ready for immediate action in frontier times, Shooting Sports Retailer noted, "Today, guns in a home used for self protection are not hung over the door but are more likely in a desk drawer or beside the bed in a night stand. When a child is hurt in a firearm accident it is often the self defense gun that was found, played with, and ultimately fired by the youngster." Firearms Are More Likely to be Used in Crimes Than to Prevent ThemHow often do people use guns successfully to protect themselves from criminal acts? Does it justify the deaths and damage that comes with guns? Apparently not. Most studies have found that guns play a relatively minor role in preventing crime but a major role in facilitating it. A U.S. Department of Justice study found that, on the average, between 1987 and 1992 only one percent of actual or attempted victims of violent crime, or about 62,000 people, attempted to defend themselves with a firearm. On the other hand, criminals armed with handguns committed a record 931,000 violent crimes in 1992. Data from the FBI's Crime in the United States reveal that for every time in 1999 that a civilian used a handgun to kill in self-defense, 48 people lost their lives in handgun homicides alone.Firearms Could Have Safety-Related Defects Firearms could contain defects in design or manufacture making them likely to unintentionally discharge. Guns with safety-related defects can kill or seriously injure gun owners and innocent bystanders, including children. This consequence is the result of the firearm industry's exemption from basic health and safety regulation. No federal agency has the authority to set safety standards for guns; require gun manufacturers to repair, replace, recall, or refund the purchase price of defective guns; or to mandate warnings. Currently, the only protection afforded those hurt by defective guns is to file a lawsuit after a victim is killed or injured.Research That Supports the Use of Firearms for Self-Defense is Flawed One advocate of the value of handguns for self-defense is Gary Kleck, professor of criminology at Florida State University in Tallahassee. Kleck and his colleague Mark Gertz say their survey research indicates that civilians use guns in self-defense up to 2.5 million times a year. The NRA and the gun industry have widely cited Kleck's work as proof of the value of owning a gun. But Dr. David Hemenway, a professor at Harvard's School of Public Health, dissected the work of Kleck and Gertz in The Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology, concluding that their survey contained "a huge overestimation bias" and that their estimate is "highly exaggerated." Hemenway applied Kleck and Gertz's methodology to a 1994 ABC News/Washington Post survey in which people were asked if they had ever seen an alien spacecraft or come into direct contact with a space alien. He demonstrated that, by the application of Kleck and Gertz's methodology, one would conclude that almost 20 million Americans have seen a spacecraft from another planet and more than a million have actually met space aliens

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pardom me while I find my hip boots. The bs is sure getting deep around here. Might even need waist waders
    So many guns to buy. So little money.[This message has been edited by badboybob (edited 09-22-2001).]
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what is your point? When you see and read about all of the actions comming from college profesors no one it right mind would quote them. The fact that a large number of crimes are avorted by the presents of a firearm is not recorderd.If you ran a criminal off with a firearm:Why would you call a cop? You would be the one in hot water. I personaly know several people that have done just what I said.Shoot and shut up.
  • Options
    4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey was this written by the monkey trying to start some crap again...LOL
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's amazing how the same numbers and statistics pop up from the anti gunners. Nothing new just the same old bs. Still they can't explain why Washington acdc has the highest murder/crime rates and Florida has some of the lowest. It makes you fear sending your kids to college with all the Liberal crap they will face from their "knowledgeable" professors. They even face it in Grade school. Our daughter came home crying a few years back. Her teacher told her that Grandpa was a bad man because he was a logger and cut down all the trees. I went immediately to the school and gave that ignorant $lut a bit of the nastier side of me. A tree hugger from the word go, but she realized never to talk trash to my kid again.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got it! Let's send these "consumer protection" folks over to Afghanistan so they can inform bin Laden exactly how dangerous it is for him to be keeping his AK in his little cave! (Considering his plight, I'm sure he'd be happy to find someone concerned about his safety.)
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And a swimming pool in the back yard increases the risk of a family member drowning. No kidding! Geeze these guys are rocket scientists.
  • Options
    EnergizerEnergizer Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Politicians have figured out that being anti-gun it is an easy way to get the larger city votes, as I would think that the majority of people do not hunt pheasant,ducks or deer in New York city and do not understand the reason for hunting. In response to self defense I would call anyone without a gun a victim waiting to happen! put a trigger lock on your guns and keep your ammo locked up if you have children. How many people jump off bridges to commit suicide? should we ban bridges?
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, this is absolutely right! Don't you guys watch broadcast TV and Sitcoms? Guns go off by themselves all the time! And if you own one, you will be instantly and magically transformed from a responsible, law-abiding citizen into a deranged, kill-crazy monster! Surrender all your weapons to Sarah and Hillary now, before it's too late!!!!
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, contemplating on our current economic state...When all hell breaks loose, who or where do you think these nuts will call or go to first? The neighbor with a cat, or the cops? One thing is for sure, I'd really hate for these "* retentive idiots" to go near my property during times of national distress.Firearms could have safety related defects? ya! they fire when the trigger is pressed you moron!The use of firearms for self defect is flawed? excuse me, I think this moron mistook the USA for the USSR (which no longer exist by the way).just my two cents.
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    Free N TXFree N TX Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firearms Could Have Safety-Related Defects Firearms could contain defects in design or manufacture making them likely to unintentionally discharge. Guns with safety-related defects can kill or seriously injure gun owners and innocent bystanders, including children. This consequence is the result of the firearm industry's exemption from basic health and safety regulation. No federal agency has the authority to set safety standards for guns; require gun manufacturers to repair, replace, recall, or refund the purchase price of defective guns; or to mandate warnings. Currently, the only protection afforded those hurt by defective guns is to file a lawsuit after a victim is killed or injured.And just how many people died from tires blowing out? The tire industry is regulated by the federal government. How many people have died in auto accidents when the automobile manufacturer KNEW about a defect in their product, even before production began? There have been several recalls on ALL brands of cars (both foreign and domestic) in which men, women and children died. Some cars were produced for years at a time before any attempt to correct the problem ever took place and that was only because of lawsuits. But we still have cars being built that are not safe enough to keep a person from being injured or killed from even a minor accident.
  • Options
    joe4348joe4348 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wrote them and told them they were an enemy of these country and were committing constitutional terrorism.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    if having a gun around is so damn dangerous, how come all the gun toting criminals and terroists have all been killed already? I mean those people not only have the "despised" gun with them most of the time but they go out and commit dangerous, violent and illegal acts. And if one of these naive idiots that spouts these kind of lies ever gets in a life threating situation, the first thing they will do is call for help from someone who has a gun. Usually a cop but in isolated areas it could be a neighbor.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that what I think you're loading Alledan? Sure smells like it. While you're at it my garden needs some.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    When you encounter the writings of the liberal dip * you have to dip * or drown in it.Yep you need a front loader!