In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun safes - any opinions?

greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Went to a gun show today and spent quite some time looking at gun safes.

My present storage vault is so full right now it won't hold anything else. Any suggestions? Quality, price, etc. I don't need a pretty piece of furniture, just a good vault without having to rob a bank.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.

Comments

• jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I like the dial and lever design, don't care for the "three-spoke wheel" design, and a friend has the electronic type-23 Q.F. his shuts with a nice "snap" of the bolts and opens a lot quicker than dialing in the numbers.

The best price will be a model just about to be discontinued due to "replacement" with an upgraded model...just something I picked up in Retail.
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Cannon American eagle safes. My current box was busting at the seams so I spent some time looking at safes myself not to long ago when I came across this safe at the Cabelas grand opening here in Pa. For the money it cant be beat, this is a real safe , not one of those junky ones made by tool box manufactures. I was impressed enough to buy one and I could not be happier with it. I think the Cabelas here still has them in stock for only 600 bucks. It was the best 600 bucks I ever spent. Life time warrenty against everything from break in to fire. Here is a link. http://www.agenglish.com/Cannon/American.html
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flathead, how many guns will the $600 safe hold? Do you know the dimensions?

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The safe is 30" by 60" by 24" will hold 14 to 28 guns depending on how you set up the interior.Although 28 guns is really tight it will hold them. The thing is heavy at 525 pounds. I know because I had to get mine upstairs , it took four of us to do it. Check out the link I posted. All the info is there.
  • gunrunner1911gunrunner1911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Liberty after doing the research I felt for my needs it was the best and even better was a local lock and key was a dealer which is a big bonus doing business with a local supplier when able. The one thing we all may agree upon is the finish I like the textured finish mine is in the basement and it doesn't show the dust and has resisted rust very well. It is cheaper too.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Got a couple of Liberty 35s and need another. One of the main reasons for the Liberty was I got them at dealer cost. I will say that they have top quality worksmanship and materials but if I had to pay retail I don't know that they are that much better than the Cannons.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
    edited November -1
    Whatever you get, get a bigger one than you think you need.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Yes! Go with a safe 1/3 bigger than you think you'll need or you will be bying another. Amazing the stuff the wife finds to put in that rascal.
    Liberty gave me the best deal. I waited till the gunshow was just about over and made my final offer and he took it. Saved about $300.00. He seemed a little ticked though when I told him I wouldn't be needing to pay the $150.00 delivery fee because I have a 1000lb tailgate lift on the truck. That was one job though,getting it moved only 20 ft and up one step.
    You also would maybe want to bolt the safe to the floor and wall.Some thiefs will steal the safe. Have a neighbor whos safe weighed 950 lbs empty and was full of guns--the thiefs took it all.
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought a redhead from bass pro shop rated at 1600 degrees for 30 minutes it will hold about 24 long guns depending on how you store them and has shelv=f space enough for another 16-20 pistols it cost me 600 bucks

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    And I'll add I have a Liberty 13. LT-13. $599+ tax. 320#

I'm only handgunning, and have enough shelves to lay out my favorites and storage below for cased pieces, and usually all my ammo up top. I cut my shelves from dry pine (rather than pay $60 a shelf for the carpeted ones) and might reconfigure the inside to accomodate one rifle, a .243 I've been thinking about.
  • SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out your local Sam's Club Warehouse. I bought a nice Remington safe there. Just listen to everyone else when they say to "get the next size above what you THINK you need". You may think you will never fill one up, but you will.

EMSParamedic.gif
    I'm clear, you're clear, everybody's clear...SHOCK!!!
  • rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not buy any gun safe unless you personally load it with your guns and see how much room you have. When they say x number of guns I do not believe that number includes guns equipped with scopes and slings which takes up more room than you may think. Also, slab sided shotguns and rifles will not take up as much room as bolt actions. The bolts take up alot of space unless you remove them.

Rockton
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rather than getting one big safe, I've opted for more smaller safes (like the cannon 500# 14/28 safes). When we move I'll have one for my regular "everyday" stuff and one for collector arms (so they don't get beat up by constantly dragging guns in and out) and I'll also have one of those cheapo thin wal-mart safes for stuff too valuable to leave out but that doesn't need real secure (like ammo, reloading equipment when I get it, etc.)

Part of what got me doing this is that cheaper safes are easier to afford, but partially it was because this old house we live in wouldn't support a 1000# safe so I had to do several small ones scattered around the house. I have really liked the setup, so much so that even with offers to buy my smaller safes when I move I'll probably keep them instead of getting a big one. I do realize that a bigger safe is heavier and that has some appeal to it, but I think if they're fastened down properly they'd be pretty difficult to take anyway.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Darin SperlingDarin Sperling Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at zanotti armory. These are safes that you assemble. Big selling point, two people can move them. I will be moving soon and want to be able to take the safe with me and not have to have friends over to move it twice within two months. With that being said, I will still probably buy a traditional type safe.

Sperling PE