In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A mish-mash of questions

RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
I know some of this belongs in the archery topic page, but that site is soooooo dead it might take weeks to get a response.Anyways, here's the situation. I had to abandon my stand this morning because somebody already beat me to it. As I was walking down a dirt road that had high embankments on either side, I hear a stomp-scrape about 10 yards away. I had to get off the road, so I nocked an arrow and stepped into the leaves. CRUNCH!!! It sounded like I was stepping on potato chips, so the deer left in a hurry, but stayed in the general area. The place he just vacated was a very active scrape/rub-line.Question: what do I do? Let that buck calm down and come back later or another day? Set up right then and there over that scrape? Set up near-by? Go home and watch the WSU Cougars beat the heck out of the Oregon Ducks?Second question: I keep on finding these bugs that have the legs and head of a tick, but the body of a basketball. They are dark gray and hard. Are these ticks that have filled up on some host? I have 3 labradors in the house, but I can't find any ticks on them. What are these mystery creatures?OK, thanks for bearing with me and thanks for answering my questions.Brian
Crush your enemies, drive their horses before you, hear the lamentation of their women.--Genghis Khan

Comments

• Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pour doe scent all over yourself and get down on hands and knees in the rub area. You'll know when he comes back.They are Kusandtanta Beatles. They are from the plant Surgonamas. Don't see them much on Earth. Usually not dangerous but two or three can eat a small child.Have to go now, the Mother Ship is back.
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put your arrow back in the quiver and go watch Wazzu beat up on Oregon. I'm an Oregon State fan and alumni, so I can't wait to see Wazzu hand it to the Ducks today.As for the bugs, it kind of sounds like ordinary potato bugs. At least, that's what we used to call them. I don't know their scientific name, but if that's what they are, they're absolutely harmless.Go Cougs...at least this weekend.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch the game ,And send me the GPS cordants for the scrape.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redleg, depends how much time you have. If the wind was right, and he can't smell you, he may have come back. Otherwise, set up next day a couple hours before he was there. They seem to, at least in my area, visit scrapes around the same time every day.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woops, about the bugs, if they have eight legs, they're in the tick family, six legs, they're some insect. Ticks full of blood will usually pop if you squeeze them, but they are gray.