In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

3-wheelers vs 4-wheelers

bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in General Discussion
I have been looking for a used 4-wheeler to ride on my property. I'll use it to check the livestock, fix fences, and get around in places I had rather not take my truck. Probably as fast as I will ever go is 15 mph. A neighbor has a used 3-wheeler he wants to sell. I think I can buy it for $500. But I have heard stories of 3-wheelers being dangerous...they turn over more easily than 4-wheelers. You guys (and gals) who have had experience on such, what are your opinions on 3-wheelers vs 4-wheelers.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 bsebast@airmail.net

Comments

• Options
    elmos608elmos608 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, if you want a broken back take the 3 wheeler.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Since you will probably be a responsible rider, then probably the most important thing to consider before buying one is the emissions factor. I believe the two stroke engines emit too much CO and HC and may have to be retrofitted to meet current emissions standards. This retrofit is going to be expensive. Just a thoughtThe injuries that have occured from these light vehicles have come from idiots riding them too fast and recklessly.Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Options
    hyperspacehyperspace Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have flipped both, but the 4-wheeler took more effort. The 3-wheeler would dang near tip over if you looked at it crosswise, even at very slow speeds. One time I was glad for the 3-wheeler: Many years back I came around a blind corner on a dirt road doing about 25-30 MPH, and there was a pickup parked across the road. The occupants were dumping trash over the hillside. I tried to wiggle around it, but caught about 1/2" of the back fender of the 3-wheeler on the front bumper of truck. She rolled at least 6 times. I departed from the trike before the first roll, flew into the bank (helmet helped a lot -- and the rednecks were gone before the trike stopped rolling and without checking to see if I was alive or not). I guess if it would have been my 4-wheeler, that would have been a 1/2" of the front fender, which might have changed my flight path for the worst (with a 4-wheeler coming not far behind). I think that was a fluke, though. I'd hold out and get a 4-wheeler. It will serve you better in the long run. Besides, the 3 wheeler has to be pretty old by now, they haven't made 'em in a while. You should be able to find a decent price on a lower cc 4-wheeler that will suit your needs.[This message has been edited by hyperspace (edited 11-29-2001).]
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three wheelers went out of style about the time that rear suspensions became popular on ATV's, so most four-wheelers have it and most three wheelers don't. This is important for comfort and safety. It would be my advice to get the four-wheeler as they are much more stable. Even at the low speeds your terrain is a large factor in overturning. I received a broken hand bone and serious road rash to my right forearm and shoulder in two separate three wheeler accidents. I have never been injured on a 4 wheeler.
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 months ago brought a honda 350 es rancher- love it! I keep my 84 big red honda, 1 dealer said he couldn't legally trade for it. #2 said he give a little for it. #3 said he could give $1200 for it but the rancher went UP. Any way the new one rides like a dream, and big red is a little rough riding but still a good machine with common sence. Would you believe i can't get $1000 locally & I brought it new and took care of it. Hope this help's you some.
    Work'n like a dog all nite[This message has been edited by legn4 (edited 11-29-2001).]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a new Rancher 350 Honda also and boy does it ride good. The only complaint I have Is when it gets below about 50 degrees you have to push the primer button or set there and crank a long time to get it started. I know of two people that have broke their ankle riding 3 wheelers, just no protection for the legs.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure what my recommendation is worth now that I've only got 9 1/2 fingers due to four wheeling....our family has 7 units, all are Honda's but one...they spend less time in the repair shops than any other brand.
  • Options
    ruger270ruger270 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Honda 300 in 1989. Had it for nine years and sold for $2,500.00 Had a tune-up once a year. Other than the tune up, no problems. Bought a 1998 model. Love it. The four wheeler will be better in rough areas of your property. And, yes the 3 wheeler is more apt to turn over.My 2 cents worth
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    If you enjoy bull riding you'll enjoy the 3-wheeler.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine sells ATV's for a distributor. He would tell you that 3 wheeler's are almost certain injury or death on wheels. Why do you think they're not sold anymore?Better listen to the other riders! It might only be one accident for you, family member, or friend,...but it could be the last ride.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three wheelers are inherently more dangerous by design. That being said, I have spent many hours on them, on gravel, dirt, grass, sand, shallow water, steep and I do mean steep hills, etc... and have never unintentionally flipped one. If you ride them safely, no problem. Motorcycles after all only have two wheels and are no more safe but are generally rode and looked at as more safe. I would personally hold out for a four wheeler but don't see any reason why you could not safely ride a three wheeler as you have described for its purpose. And yes they quit making them because IDIOTS can't handle reality or being safe. This does not apply to accidents but ignorant acts that cause injury and death.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yo....Dakota. I love bull riding but would RATHER get on a bull than a 3 wheeler. As far as opening the gate.....I'd have to think about that!Mudge the Adriano fan
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't think a 4 wheeler can be totally wiped out like a 3 wheeler let me ride it! I'll show ya! Like they said a three wheeler will flip just for the heck of it. it'll get bored and decide to (as we truckers call it) take a nap.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't think a 4 wheeler can be totally wiped out like a 3 wheeler let me ride it! I'll show ya! Like they said a three wheeler will flip just for the heck of it. it'll get bored and decide to (as we truckers call it) take a nap.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice folks. You have steered me away from the 3-wheeler. Now all I have to do is find a pretty good 4-wheeler I can afford. Thanks again, Bill
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 bsebast@airmail.net
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Bill, if you're not sport riding, just puttin' around mending fences, you might want to check into one of those "Gators", I think John Deere makes them. They're like an itty-bitty pick up truck, can even get 4WD. My father-in-law has one, puts around hauling firewood in the box on the back, checks the property, throws his chainsaw or tools or whatever in the back for chores, etc. Not much bigger than a four wheel ATV.[This message has been edited by timberbeast (edited 11-30-2001).]