In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Deer Shotgun?

Dennislee2Dennislee2 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I'm wanting some opinions of the best shotgun available for deerhunting. I hunt in a shotgun only state and currently use an Rem. 870 with scope. I'm hoping to find a gun that is devoted to only deer hunting. I heard of some guns that are made entirly for deer hunting, not a removable barrel and has a scope mount. I'm open to any suggestions out there.Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Options
    RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a large budget, get the Browning Gold Hunter. If not, get the Remington 870 SPS.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grab your wallet...the best semi-auto deer shotgun in my opinion is the Benelli Black Eagle w/rifled barrel....
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that the ITHACA deerslayer now comes with a fixed(cannot remove) rifled barrel. Do not know anything about the new ones, but I know my Ithaca with a removable rifled barel is wonderful.
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Maybe any with a fully rifled barrel and Sabot Slugs.A friend of mine shoots a Rem 870;Rem. fully rifled barrel,Rem.Sabots,Tasco W.C.3-9x scope.He shoots groups better than many rifles. I have seen 1.5" {3 shot} 100 Yd. Groups
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I used to hunt with a 870,then I traded it for a 1187. I`m a better shot with it because it has less recoil. After sighting in the 870 my shoulder would be sore.I can ahoot far more slugs with the 1187 and it never hurts my shoulder. The only trade off is the extra weight.
  • Options
    Dennislee2Dennislee2 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the responses. I've not been able to find an Ithaca Deerslayer III, but I'm leaning toward the Browning Gold Hunter Deer gun in camo, I guess I like the idea that I can put a regular barrel on it and also use it for the occassional duckhunt. Also from what I have read and from my local gun shop, it seems to be a great gun. Plus I've never owned a Browning before.Thanks to everyone for the advice and "food for thought".If anyone else has any other suggestions, I won't get a chance to buy one until about a week or so from now.Thanks again to everyone!
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin makes a bolt action slug rifle, it is the model 512, it has a rifled barrel, and is drilled and tapped for a scope, it uses a two round magazine,very accurate for a price at around $250-$275...