In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carry Weapon

Nitesky59Nitesky59 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in General Discussion
My brother is very interested in getting his carry permit and getting into shooting at a local range once he gets residency in the state he moved to recently. I'm kinda partial to my Kahr P40, but I told him I would ask you guys to submit your opinions, likes/dislikes about a carry weapon. Everything from reliability, cost, weight, comfort, accuracy...the whole works. Thanks for your input in helping him make an educated decision.

Go Army, Beat Air Force!! (this week)
Go Army, Beat Navy!!

Comments

• Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I have two that are my favorites.
    1. A kel-tech P11 9mm, small enough to conceal, shoots well, but not very accurate past 10 yards. Cheap-about $200.00
    2. A Glock 26 9mm, a little bigger than the P11, but much more accurate even at 25 yards. Cost- $400.00- $450.00.
    Both shoot very well and haven't had any jam problems with either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Daddo. I was really hoping more people would give their input, but oh well. I guess I'll just recommend he read reviews and hope he reads stuff from an objective viewpoint. So much for getting input from people that carry everyday, especially dealing with comfort.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I second Daddo's nomination of the Glock 26. I carry any one of four different handguns, depending on many different factors. I probably carry my Glock 26 half the time, with the other half split between my Glock 17, Para-Ordnance P-12-45 and Smith & Wesson model 66. Maybe the Taurus 85CH a little too.

The Glock 26 is lightweight, accurate, absolutely reliable and easy to conceal. Also completely safe to carry one in the pipe.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You gave everyone 1 hour and 42 minutes to respond to your post? and then gave up? Think that's being kinda quick on the draw? but oh well. Have him look into the Sig series, 226 is what I use.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kel-Tec P-40, some people think they are too cheap and not reliable, but I think they are light, concealable, safe to carry, and reliable. I just bought mine a little over a month ago and I have put close to 500 rounds through it and only had one failure to eject due to a limp wrist. Also look at the Glocks, I have the 23 and love it, although I would like the 27, I think I would carry my Glock more if it was smaller. Also it takes a while for people to post because we are out and about and check in once in a while. Also I've noticed when it comes to talking carry guns not a lot of people don't respond. Don't know the reason, but tell your brother to talk to some friends who carry and try their weapons. Go to the gun store and get the feel of different guns. Loan him your Kahr and let him walk around the house with it in a conceal holster. Its mostly personal preference and you will get a thousand opinions about this stuff and your brother will eventually have his own. Tell him we said good luck, and warn him that this is an addiction. After one gun he will soon have three or four more to choose from in his closet.
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Colt Defender, Kimber Compact CDP, Randall LeMay, Springfield V-10 (are you getting the idea about a small 1911 yet).

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    IIISKAREIIKROIIIIIISKAREIIKROIII Member Posts: 252 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walther PPK, thats what i will be using anyway. Otherwise, yeah a kal-tech is what i would use, small light, and it only takes 1 shot that will prob be chambered or atleast its when you have to just pull the slide back. I dont think you'll need rapid fire, but i may be wrong, if your bro thinks he'll be in a huge gun battle, yeah go glock with a high cap. mag. :-)-]-<

S.K.
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    I carry a Glock 26 as well. Have shot about 3000 rounds through mine without a single hang up. Small, lightweight, and easy to conceal. If you need a little more punch go for the Glock 27 (.40 cal) or the Glock 30 or 36 (both .45's). the Glock 30 holds 10 rounds and the 36 holds 6 rounds. The 30 is a little bit wider to accomodate a double stack mag. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these, and you have a variety of calibers to choose from in the subcompact line.

Alex

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, I'll pass along the info. I was a bit hasty in my second post, sorry for the impatience.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for that cause I would give the Glock 23 some serious thought.

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on his size. I'm 6'6" 260 lbs. and have carried a Colt Commander Lightweight for years. Mrs. Mudge is 5'2" 125 lbs. and carries a Glock 30. Got a buddy that is 5'6" 180 lbs. and carries a Glock 23. It's all in what you're comfortable with. Whatever it is, please go with something .357 or larger.

Mudge the armed

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    Short TraderShort Trader Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Glock 30 every day. In the winter I move it to my ankle and carry a Glock 21 as well.

My wife carries a Taurus M85 everyday, and keeps a Taurus M608 in her car. She's a revolver girl.

Buy low, short high...
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Like mudge said, it's all based on how much gun you feel comfortable carrying...
  • Options
    Short TraderShort Trader Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL, do they make an IWB holster for that thing

Buy low, short high...
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    I see a lot of personal favorites here on gun choices which is understandable. But, how big is this fella? How you dress and a lot more has to go into the equation.

I've been licensed here in Texas for some time now. Besides the fishing business, I have been doing the private bodyguard gig for over twenty years.

Depending on the job, I carry my Ruger 95DC 9mm in a shoulder holster and a 357 Speed Six in my belt at my belly. Now, keep in mind I'm 6'5'' and slim at 210. With a sports jacket and jeans neither show but they are easy to get to.

I expect to get beat up by those who don't like the Rugers, but they have never failed me when needed.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    a glock 23 is my carry gun and its back is a glock 22

when in doubtEMPTY the MAG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Once again, thanks for the input. He's about 6', probably about 175 lbs. Loose fitting clothes and untucked shirts are the norm. I guess I just wanted to help him narrow down a few so that he has an idea what to ask to see in a gun shop instead of getting the ever common high dollar model that the dealer swears is the best on the shelf cause its bringing more money into his pocket. From you guys, I know its unbiased, cause what are you to profit?

Benjamin D. Johnston
  • Options
    sfettysfetty Member Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock 23 with night sights.
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, it's hard to beat the p-series for concealibility and accuracy. and it woun't break the bank, if your on a budget. respect submitted dads-freehold

if your going to be a savage, be a headhunter
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    outdoortexas;

quote:I expect to get beat up by those who don't like the Rugers,

I'll Protect You!

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Ill back you up! I carry a Ruger P95DC also!
    Bill Ruger a self made American Legend , we will miss him!
    There are some great articles about him and his acomplishments in November Issue of the SHOOTING TIMES.
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Thanks Pa & Niner,
    But let's wait a few more hours and see who jumps on us. This could end up as a new topic real easy. Pa, are healthy enough to back up Niner while he backs me up ??
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, to outdo'rtex's, pabo'g'r and rug'rnin'r, your backing each other up reminds me of an incident that happened about ten years ago in a florida dot on the map called yeehaw junction. now yeehaw junction is more an intersection than a town (state road 60 and us 27) in the middle of oseola country, literally 50 miles from civilization, but it has a population of about 25 or 30 people. at any one time there may be that many trasences also. basicly the town has a convience store and gas station ,a mom & pop grosery, mechanic shop , a chain motel and a flop house with a bar. it's really a quaint lil' town where nobody bothers you, except on friday and saturday nites at the bar. at the time i was in one of my phases where i was having irs problems and yeehaw junct. was the perfect place to "loose oneself". well i was working in port saint lucie on a bridge(about 65 miles away) and living in a room at the flop house ajasion to the bar. come friday nite i was ready for a little booze and action so i put on my cleanest dirty shirt and pants and belly up to the bar. well i've been in some bad joints from the fareast to frisco and boston to alabama, so i eyeballs the sit rep when going into a place like this. now don't get me wrong durring the day it doubles as a resturant and is fairly sedate but on the week ends it can resemble "road house". so i study the situation and there are about 10 or 12 men all drinking . the bar maid and some kid singing "keith witley" tune on a flat top. two guys are at the other end of the bar in a mild disagreement about the music the rest are seated at various tables around the room. so i'm drinking a mic lite and the conversation down the bar is getting louder and heating up. any way this one fella jump up and shouts at the other " i'm a kissimmee cowboy and i don't like you g**d*** tennesseans or your music and i'll whip you and the whole d*** state".well not one to miss a challenge i looked up from my beer and said" whao there mr cowboy, you may want to reconsider that proposition, as there may be more of us here that you think, i'm from rhea county, tenn and i'll take your challenge.." and to my surprise from behind me came another voice saying "yea, and if he woun't i will, i'm from knoxville".the guy just stood there for about a minute shaking his head, and before he walked out he muttered "you guys are like a plauge, you're every where..." the whole place broke up laughing at that piont. and we had a real hodown that nite, turns out the gitarist was from chattanooga, and we all and the rest of the bar got plastered the rest of the nite singing and drinking. so here's a town with a pop. of 30 people in the middle of nowhere and four tennesseans unknown to one another pick the same bar 50 miles from nowhere to drink at. respt submitted dads-freehold oh yea the moral of this nausating story is there may be more of us out there than they know!

if your going to be a savage, be a headhunter
  • Options
    m3nthm3nth Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    good ol rhea county boys...

yeah i'm 6'1", about 175lb as stated. casual clothes are also as stated (loose jeans & shirts) but i have to wearer nicer things to work which might make carrying on the upper body more difficult.

saw a lot of good comments for the glock 26 and the 27 looks similiar. anyone have experience with these two and a preference? i could handle carrying something larger but i'd rather not.

peace through justice
  • Options
    kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've asked about a conceal and carry weapon on these forums several times, namely a small ambidextrous .45 for me, a lefty over 6' tall and over 220 lbs prone to wearing business casual clothing.

I am working on getting a CCW permit and think I finally decided on what I will get to carry:

HK USP .40 Compact, with Night Sites in Variant 2 with the left handed decocker/safety. It will probably end up costing in the ballpark of $800.

It's not ultra small, but seems small enough. I shoot well with my full size .45 USP and did well with my instructor's .40 compact USP. It fits my hand well, has 10+1 capacity, can be carried cocked and locked for single action trigger pull or carried decocked and fired as double action, fits my hand and is comfortable to shoot (i.e. good recoil management). I've never had my USP jam on any ammo type, even after a long day of shooting with significant powder buildup. It always goes bang and then feeds the next round.

I like having a safety and decocker, which ruled out Glock, Springfield XD, Walther, etc. I loved the SIG 245 but it had a non-reversible right-handed decocker. (The SIG had a very nice trigger pull and is something I would seriously consider if I were right handed.)

I intend to get a thunderwear front waist holster, a "The Wilderness" side waist holster and a front facing fanny pack style holster.

As a smaller alternative, I have a Taurus 605 .357 Magnum revolver (5 shot, stainless, 2" barrel, hammerless). It only cost me about $300. I have an Uncle Mike's inside the waist holster that is comfortable (especially at the kidney or appendix area).

I know this is a long post, but I'm trying to explain to you the reasons for my choices, rather than simply list the choices. I wanted reasonably powerful rounds for what I hope will incapacitate my targets more quickly than the ever-popular 9mm. I really enjoy practicing with my full-size USP, and the habits I make with it will directly apply to the nearly identical yet smaller .40 compact version. The night sites make a huge difference in low light target acquisition, so they are a must for me. The little Taurus 605 provides a smaller package that could go into a pocket if need be, and the simplicity and reliability are hard to argue with. Likewise, the .357 round will get the job done. The concealed hammer makes it much easier to draw from concealment, as it won't catch on clothes. In an extreme emergency, it could even be fired from inside a pocket as there is no slide to bind up in your clothes. If I were to use it from inside my car to defend against carjacking, etc., it won't throw hot brass around my car.

Good luck with the search. I hope he finds something he is comfortable with, can afford and is reliable.

http://ynot4free.com
  • Options
    Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    One of the following is normally with me:

Glock 17, in the small of the back or under the drivers seat.

Glock 26, in the small of the back or an ankle holster.

A Walther PPK/S in a front pants pocket. This is not a fast draw, but I have one with me.

And when I go to Fort Wayne or Indy I have a spare mag. This is not for the extra rounds, but incase I have to drop the mag to clear a malfunction.

My Glock's have had thousands of rounds with out problems. I want to get a Glock 22.

I rush in where others flee.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    SIG P229 in .40. Intermediate size holster gun. I carry it concealed sometimes, but it requires a jacket or shirt tail left out.

Colt Commander. Rarely carry it anymore. Too valuable.

Smith & Wesson Model 49 Bodyguard in .38 Special. Good to carry without a holster. Rubber grips help keep it in place.

Colt Pony Pocketlite .380. Very small and light. Will hide anywhere.

Manhurin (Walther) PPK/s. Good for leaving in truck in case I forget to bring a gun.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email nunn@gunbroker.zzn.com
  • Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a HK USP Compact var 1 with Nite Sights.

I love it. Never a jam or miss fire in over 600 rounds. At 75 yards I whooped a Glock 30 big time.

I use a uncle mikes size 5 hoslter, inside the pants, infront.