In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How does Tracer Ammo Work?

MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I don't want to sound ignorant, but I know very little about reloading or special rounds.

So, I'd like to ask how tracer rounds work?

They seem to be something worth picking up, just to check them out, but I haven't yet.

Thanks.

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 1/2 of the bullet is filled with the tracing compound (don't have the chemical spec. in front of me). It is ignited by the powder flash in the barrel. Ther are reported by others here to be a little hard on your barrel, they have been known to start fires when used around flamables.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tg,
    Thanks for the info!

Merc

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few futher comment on tracer ammo, yes there is a burning compound in the base of the bullet, however for ammo produced in the last 30 + years the tracer element doesnot burn in the barrel, it has a delay factor, the reason is to make it harder to ID the location of the shooter.
  • Options
    SNIPER1048SNIPER1048 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ONE THING ABOUT TRACER AMMO. IT IS NOT MOST ACCURATE DUE TO THE TRACE COMPOUND BURNING OFF TO ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER. OUT PAST 500 YDS. DON'T TRUST IT!

"START THE BALL ROLLING THERE, TECTOR"
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    quote: So, I'd like to ask how tracer rounds work?

Answer - pretty good.

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis