In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The best rifle is....

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited September 2002 in General Discussion
The 30-30. This brought in the real life of rifles as we know it.
It deserves respect and the American gun lovers- BOY_HOWDY!!!!
It's a bugger to shoot and a Mans rifle. Yea! to the 30 -30!!!!

Comments

• Options
    TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daddo - Never had anything against the 30-30 but the 30-06 has since the early 1900s and through the World Wars been a life saver, life giver, life taker and all around good guy. I'll give the 30-30 it's due, but the '06 is my choice.
  • Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best rifle is... The one YOU like the best. Actually the .30 .30 was the first gun I bought. Then I found out that I couldn't hunt with it in my state. I shot it about 200 times at the range. I sold it about 10 years ago. Never had a problem with it.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I correct myself in my wording-- I would suggest the 30-30 to be the most respected for the introduction of the best rifle in the history of the old west ect. Also the .22 was used a lot back then as well for a great purpose.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh yea, I've got three of them... One of my favorites...

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The .22 was a big carry gun- for rabbit and such for food. This is back then, and still is!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 22's a little small for a rabbit, need something with a little more takedown, maybe a .458win mag, or .416 rigby... I'd sure hate to be infront of a rabbit when it turns and decides to charge...

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    thesoundguy1thesoundguy1 Member Posts: 680
    edited November -1
    The best rifle is....the first one I get to, when I really need a rifle!

www.waveformwear.com
    The new wave in free expression.
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Springfield Armory M1A.

Thank you, Beachmaster, for pulling this young fella's head out of his *!

Stand And Be Counted
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like the ol' 30-30, too. It seems to be the baseline for all modern calibers. Yep, I know the '06 and 270 and 308 and many, many others whip it when it comes to performance. And bullet design isn't great because of those tubular mags -- but the 30-30 is to centerfire rifles what the .22 LR is to rimfires -- something everyone seems to start with, that is reasonably effective and inexpensive. It is indeed a classic that earns a place in the list of "The 5 Greatest Rifle Cartridges of the World". Wasn't it the first cartridge designed entirely for smokeless powder? (might be wrong???)
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh yeah, the question is best rifle, not the praises of the 30-30. I have to agree with soundguy first -- the one I have at hand when I need it -- and Evil second -- the M1A/M14. A FAL seems to be right there around #2, also.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,024 ******
    edited November -1
    The best rifle is the one you don't have yet. The next one you plan to buy. That is always the best one.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANK YOU, I'LL TAKE A 22.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    30-30's are fun, 30-06 'n 308's are great for hunting, 22' great for practising.

Why the hell.... get one of each =o)

I once saw a series of pictures of a 5 barrel 22lr rifle.
    It worked like a shotgun, push a lever, open the rifle like a double barrel shotgun, place 5 cartridges of .22LR in the barrels that lay beside eachoder - close it and fire all 5 at the turkeys.

It looked silly, but it must have been fun to own nevertheless =o)
    The 5 barrels lay beside eachoder, and had a little spread in bullet-placement so it could be used to shoot turkeys or waterfowls when they walked, swim in groups.
    It fired all five bullets at the same time, but being .22LR offcourse it didn't hurt.

It was owned by an old russian Zar. (guess it's what you call Count or something like that.)
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never seen any caliber that wasnt good for something.

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    bullelkbullelk Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have too many best rifles, and room to add some more. My best out West rifle is my German Weatherby MK V, in 300 cal. My best Maine rifle is my old Remington 700 carbine in 30-06.

But, I still like to take an old Winchester 30-30 deer hunting. There's a lot of nostalgia carrying one of those, and there probably has been more deer killed with that than any other caliber.

It ain't how you hit em, it's where you hit em that counts.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I like'em all. The best is either the last one I bought, or the next one I'm going to get. Don't really know which.

Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 or any other calibre ... simply a great rifle in any calibre

Ken
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I`m not even gunna ask!

Doesen`t anybody like...

NO!! I must restrain myself!

• Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey 218 Bee
    what about the 219 Donaldson Wasp?? Its bigger than the 218. :-)

doc
  • Options
    WyomingSwedeWyomingSwede Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta go with the Mauser...it is the basis of every bolt action made.

swede

WyomingSwede
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Doc,that would be cool ta have!

• Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your using "brush gun" as a qualifier you need to read the article in this months guns and ammo. they say that their aint no such thing as a good brush gun cause all of them are ricocheted by brush

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ANY RIFLE IN ANY CALIBER THAT YOU CAN HIT THE SAME PLACE TIME AFTER TIME (UNDER 1")!!!!!!!YOU WILL BE ABLE TO KILL IT.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    quote:I correct myself in my wording-- I would suggest the 30-30 to be the most respected for the introduction of the best rifle in the history of the old west

?????????? The 30-30 is much too modern to have been used in the 'old west'

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis