In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mark Christian [an FN question]?

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Mark, are you familiar with the FN Model 49 Argentine Navy variant in 308. Going for around $600 in arsenal refinished condition. Looks like an FAL sort of. What's the deal and is it worth it to have in a collection with the FAL.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigdaddy I've seen the same ad from Southern Ohio Gun and quite frankly I've never handled that particular variation of the SAFN 1949 rifle, although I've fired a full automatic variant in Luxemburg. The M49s use by Argentina is well documented and the detachable box magazine seems to be an in house modification by FM (the Argentine company) to extend the service life of these rifles with most going to the navy or reserve forces. It is interesting to note that Argentina also modified many of its U.S. supplied M1 rifles to accept a BM-59 box magazines during this same time and also purchased BM-59s directly from Beretta. Some of these same rifles turned up in the Falklands according to my contacts in the British military. My own opinion of the SAFN is that the rifle was not well balanced, felt awkward in my hands, and the trigger mechanisim was a weak point and subject to wear and breakage in heavy use (though not likely for civilian shooters). In general the overall quality and workmanship of these rifles is just what you'd expect from an FN product- SOLID.

Mark T. Christian
  • thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're a gambling man and patient, I think the price will likely come down in the future. SOG puts a high sticker price on some items, then drops it if demand isn't up to their expectations. Keep an eye on the web site, or on their flyers, as sometimes the lower price is only good for one day. Of course, you run the risk of a sellout, so it's your call. Best wishes for a happy outcome.