In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WORLD Cup (yawn) competition openzzzzzz

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
Heard a segment on NPR yesterday about how soccer is the world's game but has faced an uphill battle here, asking "why?". Gist was that it was unfortunate, because it sets us apart from the rest of the world, etc. Several callers indicated it was because we are infatuated with other professional sports - many of them saying outright that Americans are too impatient to appreciate the subtle nuances of the sport.

My call wasn't answered, but seems pretty obvious to me - soccer is B*O*R*I*N*G!!!!!!! It beats watching grass grow . . . maybe . . . but what is so great about watching 20 or people run around kicking a ball? I played it for two years in HS because I was required to do a fall sport and couldn't get a doctor's release to play a real sport. It kept me in shape, but I skipped the games - I'd made it abundantly clear to the coach that the only reason I was there was because I had no choice so I wasn't going to play and could not have cared less whether I did or not. Nor how the team did . . . all my friends were playing football; only the pansies ran around in boxer shorts. And before someone suggests I don't appreciate it because I've never seen it played properly, I would note the only complete game I ever watched (sorta) was a WC final in which Pele was playing. I don't know how it came out . . . I literally fell asleep. B*O*R*I*N*G!!

Certainly, I'm not in a minority . . . when the US hosted the WC (94?) the organizers had return many of the tickets alloted to the US back to the world body because they weren't selling here. Today I learned, from one of the advocates of soccer, that most of the tickets that did sell went to resident aliens of one (visa) type or another.

These one worlders wringing their hands that the US doesn't embrace "the world's sport" should move some place that gives a rip.

Comments

• Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Come on, this year will be exciting. I heard a rumor that some team may score 2 goals in one game!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soccer is boring?? Have you ever watched golf? I don't like drugs or care to use drugs, but you need drugs to watch golf. 2nd to that is tennis.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7mm, I was just waiting for someone to say something about golf. Yes, it *is* boring to watch (and I no interest in playing it, either), but at least the competitors *accomplish* something. Soccer is a Chinese fire drill centered around a ball. Tennis / tofu / Volvos / Democraps / soccer . . . all the same culture. When I think of tennis, the image is John McEnroe throwing yet another hissy fit and yet another effete country club.
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are many interesting things in the world that may escape initial perusal...i don't blame you for your soccer views, but i don't share them. i think many more would enjoy the sport(if not the spectacle)if not for a provincial disdain for foreigness, and that we traditionally, at least modernly, haven't been good at it...don't get me wrong- i was varsity football/wrestler and could've given a crap for the game back then- but now i like to watch what i consider the real worlds game- simply because that its shared rules and simplicity enable people(mostly poor)to compete on a worlds stage...let the brazilians or the spanish or the germans or the italians or the irish or the senegalese or the turkish have their moments of sport glory...you may even enjoy their celebration along w/ them(without fear of having to watch the superbowl on p.b.s. - ever!)
  • Options
    jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    soccer is an *-whip!, at least in baseball {another sport some say is too slow} you have high scores and the home run is the pinnacle of any accomplishment in sports. also chicks love baseball players..........i know first hand.lol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rat,it *is* a simple game and perhaps that's its allure in other parts of the world. No one who knows me would consider me to have a disdain for things "foreign" . . . my wife is European, for example. Provincial, likely; parochial, perhaps; jingoistic in some matters, even. But, like French wine, soccer is grossly over-rated.
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perhaps...you prefer the immmediate gratification of "shaq" and his "crew"? not me...i like hockey(recently learned)...tour de france...football...baseball(i was a knuckle-baller/3b in a 30+ league)...olympic stuff minus figure skating..."world's strongest competition"....lumberjack sports...i even like to nap watching golf...but nothing compares(well,...compares to shared importance) to the drama of nationalist soccer on a world stage. i think that more, except you, would appreciate it for that except that they are upset that there are other glories than the lombardy trophy and that, somehow, the european union, the u.n., and nafta is behind the downfall of the usa(which, of course, they are....)
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where I live in KY, soccer has absolutely exploded in popularity over the past 7-8 years among all ages. There are actually more kids playing soccer in youth leagues than kids playing little league baseball. I used to have the same attitude as most others: too slow, not enough scoring, in short BORING. But as I watched more and more (forced to watch because my kids play), I came to like it. There are subtle nuances to the game that only watching a while will reveal. And I don't mean watching the 8 year olds run up and down the field kicking each other instead of the ball. Watch a "good" team play sometime. It is kind of like hockey in that you nearly have to watch in person. It just doesn't translate to TV. But to each his own. You watch your baseball...I will watch my soccer!
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    soccer is better to watch than bowling or golf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rat, you may have slightly misinterpreted my comments in re: the world at large. I don't knock soccer because it's not an 'American' sport, only because, to me, it is boring X 10 to the tenth. My anger is directed at those who wring their hands and moan that it is not popular here, thus we are not in tune with the rest of the world. I don't give a rat's butt whether we are in tune w/ the rest of the world (note the user name !). These are the same soccer mom types who complain that little Johnny was playing cops & robbers at recess.

bhayes, my kids tried soccer one year; both made starting lineup, both quit after the year was up to play other sports. I went to every game, encouraged them & said not word one about my views. Both said that it was boring to them, even as players.

Warpig, I agree soccer is more interesting to watch than bowling, and watching a game is more enjoyable than a wisdom tooth extraction. Barely.
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Well Warpig took my idea about bowling being a bit more borish than golf.
    My guess that we don't take to the soccer well is that we already have our own favorite passtimes, and we more or less invented them, at least to the degree they are being played now.
    If you look at these other countries that love the soccer so much most dont have a pail to leak in let alone the window to throw it out of. I watched a documentary a couple of months ago about a small fishing island that was off the african coast that made it to the finalls before loosing. The only ball they had to play with was sort of comunity property. to get to the mainland to play in the finalls they had to go deep skin diveing for octopuss in dangerous water.

Here in michigan the new soccer fields are taking over and the kids love it. And on the highways the soccer moms have taken over with a minivan full of kids, and "no fear" written all over their faces. They are the true rulers of the highway! May God help us all:

Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I felt the same way until one of my neighbors kids started playing. Watching the little kids play soccer is a riot. (Second only to hockey) Where I live it is getting very popular. Dont be surprised if the U.S. gets more competetive with the next generation.
  • Options
    flatdogflatdog Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You all forgot the main reason to follow soccer.It's the RIOTS, you can catch the highlights on the news and don't have to watch the game.
    The subtle nuance of thousands of heavily intoxicated fans crushing and trampling each other to death isn't lost on me.
    N.P.R. and anti-gun soccer moms please take note of the player who mistakenly scored a goal for the opposing team. He was stalked and killed by irate fans.
    If this constitutes civilized behavior for the rest of the world I guess I'll just have remain an uncouth isolationist.

" Love is what goes on between a man and a .45 pistol that won't jam."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hunter280, that documentary probably illustrates the popularity of the game in less-developed nations; it's simple and requires the least investment in gear of any. And it makes good sense here for little kids and anyone else otherwise unsuited for real sports; certainly it provides a lot more exercise for less cost than golf. I absolutely agree that watching little kids at play is a hoot, no matter the activity. I coached Tee-ball for two years and I still laugh at the memories.
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    We used to have a small diamond right accross the road from our house, I got to watch the tee ballers do their best every wed night. They opened a new field up about a mile away now. I can still hear them yelling but I miss watching from my front porch.

Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I much prefer a rousing game of cricket. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed watching football my ten years in England. I was a Liverpool fan. My daughter coaches 8-10 year-olds in soccer. The kids love it. It will never really catch on here because of competition from all the other boring sports currently on display. If we could make all basketball games last only the last 40 seconds and all baseball games one inning we'd have something. Golf should be one drive and one putt over 6 holes. Hockey should be played without pads, in an alley seven feet wide and six blocks long. All bowlers should have to wear real clothes and anyone high-fiving would be filleted over the third spot to the left. Boxing, well, they could tell us who won before the fight, they know. Wrestling, comic relief for the geriatrics, what the hey.

On football, don't touch it, it's the only perfect game.

All sports teams should be required to have a least 75 percent white guys. Unless the score of the winning team overwhelms the loser by 25 percent in which case the loser may renege.

On 'world' anything, we Americans are an imperious bunch of pricks.

But, who's to call us on it, right?

Clouder..