In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are we just better than they are??

stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
One of Dano's posts got me to thinking about this. He said something like "I don't see myself as better than anybody else."I thought to myself that if he doesn't see himself as 'better' than the bad guys, how the hell can he do his job? Of course he's 'better' than the muggers, rapists, murderers, gang bangers etc. If he isn't, what's he doing in law enforcement?Now think about all the other continents on the globe.What have they done without our help in the last 200 years? What advancements, technological or otherwise have they come up with on their own?? The Arab nations couldn't get their oil out of the ground without us!The Europeans couldn't beat the Germans without us!The Chinese couldn't handle the Japanese without our help!Africa??......... PUHLEEZE!! (They still live in huts and struggle to grow even enough to survive till the next care package delivery from the 700 club)South America??....DITTO!!Austral...(never mind, not worth mentioning)All over the world, wherever American influence is not present, the people exist much as they did 500 years ago!I'm probably going to be branded "racist", but honestly, aren't we just plain better than they are?
My wife?.........Sure!My dog?..........Maybe!MY GUNS??........NEVER!!!

Comments

• Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope.One word is all you deserve.Clouder..
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We're not better. We're free and those others aren't. Freedom is better.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    O.K. clouder,I deleted my first response to your post, it was in poor taste and I apologize.I'm not a white supremacist or a racist, nor am I concerned about being "politically correct".I'll concede that if living in a hut and eating only what you can kill with bow or spear is your idea of 'the good life' then fine, american culture is evil and mis-guided.However, if you want to be able to cure disease, drink pure water, flip a light switch and have the lights come on, or get a decent education, well, who else has the ingenuity to make those things happen!I'm prepared to be proven wrong, but a single shot response is not an indication of a full magazine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A three time convicted felon?? Carrying a gun and working in law enforcement?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have laws against THAT? In my part of the country you'd be serving life in prison. Congratulations....... I guess?(That must have been some influential friend!)
    My wife?.........Sure!My dog?..........Maybe!MY GUNS??........NEVER!!![This message has been edited by stanman (edited 10-14-2001).]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    I forgive you, dano. You can move in next door to me and date my sister.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Egotistical Rogue, Evil, Dangerous Racist Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stanman, I agree with you, guess we'll both be tarred as racists. Even Muhammed(?) Ali said "If it weren't for the white man, we'd all still be living in huts fighting alligators."
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    ICE NINEICE NINE Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano, I've respected a lot of your posts and I really hope you are bullsh*ting us and just stirring the pot (or smoking it) on the 3x convicted felon and being a LEO thing. Sorry bro, but I do not want convicted felons patrolling my neighborhood posing as LEO's, regardless of whether or not they found Jesus or any other sort of enlightenment while on the inside. I do not care if the victimized family gave up their next virgin daughter (and/or son) to you after you did your time -- you do not belong on the street with a badge and a gun if you have been found to be a three time loser by the court system. You belong in jail, or worse, depending on circumstances.Who was your friend? Bill Clinton or his brother? I've never heard of an instance where a cop could be a convicted felon. I hope Nunn was joking in his post. You gave up your right to be a LEO when you became a felon once. Now that you have done your time, you still have the chance to be a productive member of society without being a LEO. I see more ads in the paper for every other vocation than I do for LEO. Why not take up bookkeeping or taxidermy? You can even get a degree!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dano, I must admit to being somewhat torn on this issue. Let me also say that I would not want to make your past the center of discussion on this thread, you seem to deserve better than that.That having been said, you'll have to bear with me because this is where I get real confused. You admit to having 'inside' help to falsify your entrance exam to the academy ...... RIGHT! So as a reformed model prisoner/ parolee you, in all likelihood, committed another crime just by taking the exam and accepting the results.Then, I'm sure you had to fill out an application for employment with some law enforcement agency. You must have had to give less than truthful answers on that application (or do we now knowingly hire 3 time convicted felons to uphold the laws of our land?) When you signed the application did you read the part where it says "The above information is the truth to the best of my knowledge" or something like that?Would then signing the application be yet another crime?Sounds to me like alot of criminal activity just to become an LEO! In all fairness, nobody can doubt your determination or drive to pursue your chosen profession.But, don't you ever have a problem arresting someone for the commission of far less severe crimes than you yourself have committed?Which of the 3 families that you victimized showed up at your parole hearing, or was it the same family all 3 times?AND NUNN, are you as an LEO really OK with all this?I'll close by saying that I thank God for law enforcement and the people who choose that line of work..... you couldn't pay me enough..... but I sure hope you are a good one Dano, because too many are not!!
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    "3 time convicted felon""The family that I victimized forgave me"I suppose they forgave him 3 times.Good one dano!!!Did somebody say somethin bad about livin in huts,and fightin` gators???Did somebody say somethin` about Beekeepin` and taxidermy???~Sir Lord Beekeeper~
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 10-15-2001).]
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's true, in the latter years of the 1970's, alot of inmates were given opportunities to gainful employment in jobs that ordinarily, were not available to ex cons, I worked with several, and sad to say not one of them made it.All were unable to keep there jobs for different reasons, one even went on to overdose on heroine, which he became addicted to while in prison.For all those that have been able to succeed, they ought to be commended, assuming they have paid there debt in accordance with our laws.Alot of these characters went back to the joint.Dano, your anonymous on this board, and assuming no one can find out your particularsno one can look into your service record.But rest assured their are those, that would like to see you not succeed, and would use your own words (assuming your telling the truth) to have you removed, for doctoring papers.Either way if, I knew who you were, I'd be sure to keep an eye on you.Good luck.. [This message has been edited by turbo (edited 10-15-2001).]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Better by circumstance, not by genetics. Don't forget, all those godforsakenhellholes of places gave rise to the U.S. And to a certain extent, I agree with the ARabs; we are a bit degenerate in many respects. Much as I might admire the racy bits in an R or stronger movie, I think that such influences are bad for AMerica. One step away from teh cesspit in Germany where full frontal nudity makes it on broadcast TV. However, that is our right. We should be wise enough to avoid it.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By the way with regard to this post.We aren't any better than any other people on this globe.The reason why this country has prospered is because of our faith in the living God, who offers real freedom and gives hope to them that look to him as the source of all good things.On this hope is what the foundation of the nation rests on, and freedom is it's product.When men are free, there is nothing that can hold back the inquisitive nature that man is naturally is endowed with, there is nothing that is impossible nor hopeless.Thats, what makes us difference between us and them.They are slaves to their own way of living as much as we are to ours.There is something about being FREE that encourages us to want others to experience fredom, to reach out an touch the moon, to see what exists on the other end of our galaxy,to excell in anything we set our mind, heart and hand to do.They don't have because they are not FREE.This is the only thing that makes us different.[This message has been edited by turbo (edited 10-15-2001).]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People can change and our society is about second chances, but the odds are greatly stacked against habitial criminals. It is all about making better decisions and giving up old ways, but it is a lot harder done than said. The information we have of released felons at the correctional facility I work at is about 3 out of 8 making it back into society without additional convictions. It is hard to believe that a 3 time convicted felon is a Leo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BACK TO THE ORIGINAL THREADTurbo, Jonk,I wasn't using race as a part of my statement and clearly included the European continent as THEM!! It frosts my * when I hear someone crying about how we should do some things "like they do in europe". RIDICULOUS!! Without our support, they would not exist. I believe it is neither genetics nor circumstances alone that makes us what we are in this country. It is a combination of those that has created a SOCIETY, driven to be the greatest the world has ever seen, or ever will see! Many races have made their contribution, but it is still, uniquely, AMERICAN INGENUITY! The rest of the world enjoys the things it does, only because our free market financial system cannot thrive unless we share our products and technology with them. We ARE better than they are.Shame on those who would have us apologize for making the most of it![This message has been edited by stanman (edited 10-15-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As for Dano,I for one, don't have a problem with your paying your debt to society, once you have done that your entitled to resume life among the ranks of law abiding citizens.Problem is, by your confession you doctored documents that resulted in favorable treatment to yourself, worse yet, the guy that helped you was a parolee on the inside.What does that mean? To me as I read it, he (your bud) must have had his application and entrance doc's doctored up also.Imagine a parolee, wearing a uniform and carrying a gun, to enforce the laws, (he has been breaking from god nows how long ago); and then having to go visit his parole officer in uniform while on duty.All police officers ought to be of the highest integrity; to lie, delete, exclude, omit, disallow, or doctor any document while applying for a position that requires INTEGRITY as the most desireable quality, should be autimatically disqualified and barred from serving as a peace officer.There is nothing to assure the citizenry, that such an individual would execute his job in an honest fashion worthy of the profession and furthermore gives the same profession a black eye.The last president lied and thats his legacy with the American people, he will always be remembered as a liar.What garauntees do we have you'll turn the badge in. Nobody will believe you anyhow.[This message has been edited by turbo (edited 10-15-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    stanman,I did not take your post to be race motivated.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stan: When you are as good as I am it takes only one shot. Fair warning.Dano: You are a bad, bad boy.Clouder..