In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm-08 as an Elk Cartridge?

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
A really nice gentlemen came into the shop the other day, asking all kinds of questions about calibers, rifles, pistols, etc.

A super nice guys, but just a little uninformed on everything.

A friend of his is taking him Elk hunting this fall and he asked me to help him pick out a caliber and rifle for his hunt. This is the part I love to do.

I showed him a few Ruger M77's, Rem 700's, Wby Vanguards, even a couple Savages. I'm not sure if money is an issue, but he looked at a Stevens/Savage Mod 200 Short action and really liked it.

Weight is a concern for him, the 200 is probably the lightest economy rifle we carry. And as you know, it's a great gun for the money.

Ok, now to teach him about the calibers that are common, easy to find, and decently cheap. He's not a hunter or an avid shooter, so I suggested a good size caliber for the hunt, nothing below a 270Winnie, I told him. I even recommended the 308, 30-06, and 300Mag. I pulled out the rounds to show him and teach him the basics of the calibers. Recoil is also a concern, he doesn't want to be pounded by a gun especially if it's his first centerfire rifle he's owned. Then something popped in my mind, the 7mm-08. Seems to me like it would be a fantastic Elk/Muley round. Should I bring the 7/08 up or stick him with the good ole 308?

Thanks in advance.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not 2cd geuss an old timer who knew what he was doing and stuck to close shots, but a new guy on elk should go .30 cal and at least 30-06 power. also stick with premium ammo (nosler part, grand slam, fail safe)and 160 gr in 7mm, 165 or 180 gr in 30 cal
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge and has more than enough power for elk. In fact a 7mm-08 has the same velocity and energy as a 30-06 when they are both loaded with 130gr bullets. If recoil is a concern I would definitely point him towards the 7mm-08 over the 30-06 as it would be better for him to hit the vitals a little softer than to miss the whole animal because he is afraid of the recoil.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 7mm-08 is nothing more or less than a virtual ballistic copy of the 7X57 Mauser, which is one of the most celebrated and versatile hunting rounds in history. Only slightly less powerful than a 270 or 280, it would be entirely adequate for elk and deer, though maybe not quite enough for moose or big bears.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19

In fact a 7mm-08 has the same velocity and energy as a 30-06 when they are both loaded with 130gr bullets.

Well yes they would be if the 30-06 was only loaded to 2900 FPS like it can be in the 7mm-08. But the 30-06 is loaded to about 3300 FPS with a 130 bullet. That's 400 FPS faster than what the 7mm-08 will push it.

The 7mm-08 will do fine on an elk sized animal if the right bullet is put in the right spot. Personally I'd load it it with a good 140 or 160 grain bullet for Elk though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Maybe I'll just keep with the 308, I guess it's the perfect big game round for the recoil sensitive.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,421 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Should do just fine, and agree with aglore in the use of heavier pills. I personaly wouldn't use a bullet lighter than 160 gr.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    7mm-o8 NO go with a 30 cal at least I have seen two elk lost using a 7mm.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I think the 7mm-08 would be fine. That's what my daughter will be hunting elk with this year. I chose this caliber over the .308.
  • Options
    Fatboy livesFatboy lives Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being one that has gone to Colorado elk hunting, but not being from the area, I've found (as have most from here) that the 7MM Magnum is the better round. THe locals laughed at us, they used 3006, of course they were local, and new were to get close to the elk at, while we didn't.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    What is the metric measure of the 7mm 08 .308 is 7.62x51 and is a 7mm too. I dont see that much difference. I also thought the 7mm-08 was a modified .308 winchester. But anyways i would just give him the gun he wants. either is fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chrishiher
    What is the metric measure of the 7mm 08 .308 is 7.62x51 and is a 7mm too. I dont see that much difference. I also thought the 7mm-08 was a modified .308 winchester. But anyways i would just give him the gun he wants. either is fine.

308 is a 7.62mm bullet
    7/08 is a 308 case necked to take a 7mm bullet
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Thanks cubs i did some of my own research as well and found it to be a .284 cal bullet that aside a 270 will take an elk so i dont see why the 7/08 wouldnt. I have even heard of experenced shooters taking elk with a .243 win
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

It would be a 7.0X51mm...
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I have mentioned before, the .308 is one of, if not my favorite round. I personally think that the recoil is quite modest, especially with reduced loads. With that being said, the 7mm-08 is a good cartridge with little recoil and IMO will easily get the job done on elk. Like I have said in the past(ie. .243 rant), I will take a good bullet and good shot placement with a smaller caliber, over a poorly placed shot with a larger caliber anyday. So, loving the .308 round as much as I do, with a recoil sensative person the 7mm may be a better choice here. Just my 2cents.

Jon
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does it hurt to use a little more bullet then? there is not a big difference b/w 6mm and 7mm, so why not use that. not much difference b/w 5.56 and 6mm either so lets just use a .22-250

You get more ammo versitility with heavier pills with a 30 cal.
    most 7mm/08 (also 5 times harder to find loaded) is loaded with a 140gr or less deer bullet. Lots of .308 hunting ammo is 180gr that would be much more reliable on elk. It is also more efficent and powerful and will deliver a similar weight projectile faster

• Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I have no problem with a 7mm-08 in the hands of an experienced marksman with disciplined shot selection, or the hunter that plans a late season hunt to shoot a cow out of a hay field, or the young hunter who has someone there to back them up with a REAL elk cartridge.

Here is how to select an elk cartridge using the KISS principle. Start with a 30 cal 180 gr bullet and shoot it out of the biggest cartridge that your shoulder can tolerate. The recoil sensitive will shoot a .308 and those with more tolerance for pain than myself can shoot the 30 RUM but anything in between will work just as well.

Sure there are many cartridges less than 30 cal and bullets lighter than 180 gr that will kill elk. I suspect more elk have been killed with a 30-30 than almost anything else but the margin for error on these big animals is already very small so I see no good argument to intentionally make it smaller.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06 with a 165 or 180 grain bullet. Never seen it fail.

Clouder..