In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-250 break in?

drntabdrntab Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Ok I took your guys advice and ordered a new Remington 700 VS FS in 22-250 cal. What is the best way to break it in? What is the best way to clean the barrel? What do I need to start reloading for this gun, I also want to reload for a number of other cal as well like: 270, 30-06, 308, 22 Hornet, 223, 30-30 and pistol: 45, 9mm, 32. I know this is a lot to ask so I will include my e-mail address so not to clutter up the list.
Thanks Dale
e-mail hickmott@cybersol.com

Comments

• Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Clean the barrel with Hoppe's or whatever you have before shooting the first shot!! Shoot 1 shot then coat a patch with JB and wrap it around a brush. Push this brush and JB thru the bore about 10 passes removing the brush at the muzzle and then pushing thru again. Some on this board may disagree but which way is the bullet going? Only brush from chamber to muzzle. Push clean patch thru to clean out JB. Shoot again and repeat. Do this for first 5 shots. Then switch to Sweet's 7.62 and repeat sequench for 5 shots. After this clean with Sweet's after the next 5, 5 shot groups. We're up to 35 shots total now and hopefully you won't be getting much copper fouling. After this clean after each shooting session with Hoppe's and Sweet's. GHD
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    It puzzles me why go thru all that trouble? I have never gone thru a break in on any of my rifles and, for example, my .243 shoots as good as 3/8" groups @ 100 yds (average-1/2") after 600 rounds. I simply shoot then clean when I'm done. Is there a difference in the 22-250?
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    No difference in the calibers. How good could it have been with different cleaning format? It works for me on Match grade Shilen and Hart's and I know they are higher quality to start with. However it works equally well on my production Remingtons and Rugers so I'l keep spending the extra time to do it!! GHD
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a highly controversial subject that has been run through the wringer here on GB and there probably won't be many responses as a result. Check out Winchester's website. They have a detailed description of the "barrel break-in" process. Now there are certain reputable barrel manufacturers that say it is not necessary. Some claim that a rifle is at its best on the first shot and just wears more with every shot after that.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ground hog,I use a lot of JB.When doing a .22 cal.Screw in a brass machine screw the same tread as your cleaning rod .Cut off the head. Think you will like this trick, It does a great job of holding the patch.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drntab:

Go buy a reloading manual. Any one of them will do but Speer, Hornady, and Sierra are the most comprehensive, leastwise they were.

And then read it. You will learn a lot before you load your first round and if you are a shooter it makes interesting reading.

In them, they will tell you about all the stuff you need to start, as well as all the stuff they'd like you to buy. Ain't hard to tell the difference between the two.

Last, be safe.

Clouder..