In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

There are other forums, like the politics forum...

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I'd like to remind some of you of something. There is more than one forum. The politics forum doesnt get used much, and I never visit it, for a reason. I have no desire to read the crap that should be in that forum, for the most part. How about some of the threads that get in here begin getting moved to that forum, when they dont belong here, and clearly fit in that forum. I like general discussion for a reason, its not politics. I AM NOT TRYING TO BE THE MODERATOR, OR THE FORUM NAZI, I am just making an observation.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Comments

• Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    AGREE,

Boomer

Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disagree. Why do you guys have a problem discussing politics on the general discussion board?

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo - Then why have a Politics Forum. Moreaver, I took this as only certain political topics. I get tired of crap!

Boomer

• Options
    edited November -1
    Then dont read crap...problem solved.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its not inconceivable to occasionally have a political topic wind up here, I understand that, however, A LOT of political stuff ends up here, merely because the poster wants to be sure he is heard, and knows that most of us dont go to the politics forum. There is a reason we dont go there, we dont want to hear the crap. We visit the ask the experts, and the want ads, and thats pretty much it. I am not speaking for everyone by saying we, just me and whoever else may feel as I do. Its basically a comment derived from my disgust of the political comments left by a very few posters/members, that borders on racist comments, intended to, most likely, tick people off just from the subject title alone. In many instances, the posts are in good taste, but still, you dont constantly post want ads or questions for the experts in the general discussion forum, so why should the political topics be allowed in general discussion? Its not an extremely big deal to me, just an observation, and it might be nice if we use the political forum for politics, as intended, or why have it in the first place.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Everyone knows that the "politics" forum is not visited. I have posted topics over there, and have had 2 hits for a month.
    I post the same topic here on General Discussion, and peoplle read it, and there is diologue.
    Personally, I think it would do alot of people on this forum alot of good to become more aware of what is going on in the political arena. Some of youall dont got a clue.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    WEASEL-88WEASEL-88 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pelican- you need to change that underwear!

Too Old To Fight,Too Lazy To Run!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo,
    I dont usually disagree with you, and respect your opinions here, even if I do. My point though is this, you dont go visit the forums for/in favor of gun control, do you? Probably not. Thats because you dont want to hear about it. The same applies to the politics forum, and the use of it. I dont go to it because I dont care for it, and whether or not you may think some of us could use a little political education, there are those of us that either get it by watching the news, or reading the newspaper, or just dont care and dont watch or read anything. Surely you can see where I am coming from with this comment. As I said before, I think if its politics it should be in the proper forum, just as the 'questions for the experts' forum moves general discussion questions to general discussion, I believe that politics should be moved to the appropriate forum, or the topic shouldnt be posted there in the first place. Dont take offense Salzo, none intended.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sargeant- I mean no disrespect, but if you are getting your news from the papers and watching television, I reccomend you find alternate sources. That stuff is way slanted to the left.
    Also, I make it a point to see what the "otherside" is up to. I often visit leftist web sights, and often read leftist news papers.
    I understnad your point...but I just feel that the gun issue cant be anything but political. And reading what the left is up to, whether it is guns or any other isuue(personally, I think they are all connected), is very important, and worthy of being posted on "General Discussion."IMHO

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo,
    Very good points. I myself believe nothing of what I hear, and only half of what I see. That doesnt leave a lot of information left to be discussed, does it? :)

• Options
    edited November -1
    Salzo - I do not have a problem with posts that inform us about attacks on the Second Amendment and gun owners rights. They are very informative and thought provoking, I enjoy them. It is the other type of political posting that I care not to read or to even be associated with. Some members may, and that is their right. However, when it occurs it paints us, for the most part, as racist bigots and there by undermining our position on gun rights and the Second Amendment. I will defend anyone's right to speak up for the Constitution but not racism.

Boomer

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ryan- That was good

BOOMERANG- I could not disagree with you more. You say that second amendment "politicking" is OK, but other "politiciking" is not OK. As I stated earlier, I strongly believe that the issues of the right are connected, and to fully understaND THE SECOND AMENDMENT ISSUE, ONE MUST UNDERSTAND THE politics of the right... freedom, life, lberty, the power of the governed, freedom from taxes, freedom from an overbearing government etc.
    The politics of the left are also connected; Changing the constitution, ignoring the constitution, controlling our property, controlling our money, controlling our speech,controlling our property, our religion, creating hostility among the classes, lying to further their cause, and TAKING OUR GUNS AWAY.
    And as far as some posting info that you find might be construed as rascist? That is up to the reader,. I know you are in a tizzy about something that was posted that you perceived as rascist-I did not perceive it as rascist. And the thought of shutting down a whole type of speech, because some might say something that might be perceived as rascist, smacks of the same arguments that gun controllers use-you know focusing on the very small minorities actions in order to deny rights to all others.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You see, now I have to spend valuable learning time, and time better spent otherwise, putting up with the likes of the ignorant being I have been currently addressing in another thread. It could have all been avoided if he would have posted in the politics forum, which I dont bother going to, for these reasons.

• Options
    edited November -1
    If you just learn one new thing each day you will have learned 365 new things in a year. Of course if you, like I, suffer from CRS you will start anew each day.

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it interesting that a man of few words has so many posts there Pelican.Rob makes some good points,so does Salzo.I like the part of "Don't read crap,problem solved" that has always worked for me.It is a shame that the other forums don't get the play that this one does.

Have guns,will travel
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    robsguns
    If and i say if your post is directed at my post on the saudies and their betrayal of a country that has bailed them out time after time, i'm sorry if it offended you. It can very well be construed as political
    ,but in my estimation needs exposure.If the fact that I know how all arabs think, I must decline to turn my back on it even if that brands me as a bigoted racesist, for i much prefer to be called an honest racesist unafraid of the truth than to be a socially accepted, politicaly correct hypocrite that can only come out after nightfall
    so as not to have his ideas exposed to the light of day. The political forum of the United States appears to me to be a constant trade off to keep most of the herd happy, Well they will just have to get along without my help for I much prefer the truth in it's sometimes ugly and grotesque form, to the acceptability so much sought out by a large portion of todays society.

Ob- jex- shun youronner Leading the witness Hell, He's driving him with a 2x4.

• Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know I truly enjoy reading some political disagreements between our members. For the most part both sides of the argument are enlightening and conducted in such a manner that conceivably one side or the other might convince someone sitting on the fence to jump to one side or the other. I was incensed last night that some scum bag had come to our forum spouting racist rhetoric(in this case vitrolic anti-Hispanic verbage). I responded to him and hoped that every other member of our close knit forum would do likewise. This morning I turned on my computer....and presto....his garbage was gone!!! Nunn you are the man!
    I think there is room for political discussion here on the general forum as long as its conducted within the realm of good taste. I have never ceased to be amazed at the number of our forum members that think I am somewhere to the left of Karl Marx....and here all my life I thought I was a good conservative American. Said another way, I never realized just how many Americans were even MORE conservative than I am...WOW. You learn something every day...of course TLynne still thinks I am a left-winger who should be shot for the benefit of mankind. In anycase I think between all of us we do a good job keeping the crazies out of our good forum. Beach
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Patrick Odle,
    No sir, I havent read that thread as of yet, I was speaking of the thread on Mexicans, which I see now has been either moved, or poofed. I just woke up and decided to check the board. I'm sorry to have left you hanging all night Patrick, my comments were not towards you. I am ignorant of the Saudis and what they do. I do not care for the politics of the middle east countries, nor do I care to be involved with them. They have troubles that will probably never be resolved. It still kills me how we get involved with those countries' business, all in the name of protecting our national interests over there, businesses and the like, when every one knows if they didnt have oil that we want, we would have no more interest in that area than a 3rd world country of no importance to us.

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...it's been said that two topics one should never discuss with strangers are Politics & Religion.....you never know how passionate the other person may be about the topic or who may become offended. I know what my beliefs are on both topics and sometimes fail to keep them to myself. But I do enjoy the "verbal ping pong" matches, and have learned much since coming here.
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    X-Ring Rembrandt!!!! Beach
  • Options
    The PatriotThe Patriot Member Posts: 59
    edited November -1
    Robsguns; I'm new to this forum so don't want to speak out of turn (too much),but of all the forums that I have registered with I have to say I have learned more in the general discussion boards. I have always avoided the political forums because there is to much to take in by some who post there. I also believe that in the world today we cannot tune out things that are going on within it, particularly the middle east. As I country I know it would be nice not to have to get involved, however reality tells us to pay attention. Their politics are religious based and that is the most dangerous of all. They are sitting on the worlds oil and that spells money, which in turn spells weapons and aggression. If we don't stay involved and become isolationists we will soon find ourselves with every nuke in the world aimed at us. I am not an alarmist just a realist. So within reason these kind of discussions I believe are "Value Added" the hate threads I agree with you and Salzo don't belong. Don't mean to be offensive to anyone just sharing opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Patriot,
    I know exactly where you are coming from and you are correct. I dont want to get into a political discussion, so I wont. I just wanted to point out the politics forum and its lack of usage, with so many political discussions ending up here. It seems as if most people want to discuss their politics here, if that is the case, so be it. I have no problem doing as salzo ? said, dont read it. Now if we could just get admin. to change the politics forum to a reloading forum. Gotta go put up some fence, see ya all later.

• Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since when did it become so difficult to IGNORE the posts that which you don't want to read.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    robsguns
    Please accept my sincere apology,for mistakenly getting the idea that your post was directed at the saudi post by me. To think how we have
    armed them almost to the identical tech level as us and then I find out that the WTC terrorist attacks were carried out by 100% saudi's offends me greatly and I sometimes get pretty emotional about same.
    As far as the overly used word Racesist it is more and more so being used to stop plain talking people from voicing their opinions and by doing so it is speedly losing its true meaning and is in most cases used by people with little or no inteligence to silence the ones that put their fear of being branded such that they never voice their true opinions. In that regard I in no way qualify. I recoginize that I am not allways right or allways wrong, but I am a me.

In my younger and more foolish youth I and a fellow victim of the nites riotious liquidation came before the judge the next morning.
    My drinking buddy and I was charged with several mis-deameanors
    including assault and battery of some 3 hapless individuals aprox as equally liquified as the two of us but having the ready cash to hire a lawyer to represent them. my friend had not yet learned that when you are at fault and find yourself confronted by legals at any level, the best thing to do is say as little as possible and hope for the best. After having been read the charges against us, my friend suddently rose and stated Now listen judge I have already admitted beating the hell out of them 3 guys"Leaving me out completely" But the fight took place in the bar no ways close to his car , and besides I have never or would I ever have salted his battery. Can anyone that has ever been there immagine how it hurts to laugh after a night of ole buskull?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To SXS: Heap see, few know. That's how.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Josey,
    Its not hard to ignore posts you dont care for, you are correct, however, when soemone states something clearly against a whole race of humans, no matter why it is stated, it gets under my skin, and I cant ignore that, as that is not the way to stand for what is right and just.

• Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robsguns,I was responding to your original post,I'm not really sure what you are talking about as far as someone stating something against a whole race of people.I do know that while I will never agree with everything I hear and read that people say,I will always agree and support their rights to say it.Our 1st amendment rights are as valuable and important as our 2nd or any others.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry Josey,
    Its been a long day, and I forgot which thread I was on, I originally started this on the politics forum, mostly because of the Mexican thread, which was deleted/poofed, and my last post was related more to that thread than this one. Without a little background, I suppose you'd have no idea what I was talking about. Anyway... I have to respond to some threads, because they are so inconceivable in content, just in title alone, and shouldnt be ignored. That being said, its not always possible to ignore some posts, not for me. By the way, I enjoy your informative and often entertaining posts.

• Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Say Pelican,

Those ain't the new Haynes bloomers, everyones talking about are they?

"The great object is that every man.... everyone who is able may have a gun." Patrick Henry
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    As best I can figure, based on the limited description of the Politics forum, I think it was intended for a discussion of solely gun-related political issues.

I think what they specifically had in mind was alerts about specific bills that concern the second amendment and general gun ownership law.

I enjoy a free-sprited discussion on here as much as the next guy.

The problem is, in some of the more heated debates, (the current hotbutton issue seems to be the Israeli/Palestine conflict) people who may share similar or identical views on one group of issues can also have completely opposite and intense views on another particular issue. This causes discussions between friends to degenerate to screaming pissing matches between enemies.

Obviously, that aint cool.

I think nunn has done a good job of deleting threads that have degenerated to said point.

It's not about free speech. I think he's doing us a favor by ending an argument that has turned ugly before people who otherwise would be great friends say things to each other that they wish they hadn't.

I've done some of that, I'll admit.

I've also said lots of things, some of them quite caustic, that I think needed to be said, and I would never take back.

Still, in a discussion, regardless of it's temperature, I've always gone out of my way to give leeway to those I respect.

For example: I respect idsman immensely. I always think his opinion is valuable, and I'm always glad to let him give it. There are lots of members who I'd gladly give up the floor to.

By the same token, there are other members here who I dont respect in the slightest. And I rarely flich to express that.

Call me what you will. I'm human, if anything. But that's where I stand. And I'll stand there and holler at the top of my lungs if I have to, but I wont move.

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What Id give for a large sock filled with manure.

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Hey Pelican: That damn bird is doin' the Freddie.

Anyone remember the Freddie?

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing I don't like about most political threads is the gross misuse of cutting and pasting. If you don't have a personal view on the subject for crap sake don't inflict some left-leaning diatribe on me.

As far as the idea that what is pasted comes from something other than the left, therefor somehow more worthy, B. S. Rightwingers are just as nauseating and most of the internet rightwing stuff even more dopey than the left.

Other than those two gripes, I like political stuff. A man's depth will show in an instant when he discusses his politics.

Clouder..