In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GRITS CASSEROLE

wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
GRITS CASSEROLE4 cups water1 cup grits (not instant)8 oz. of cheese (half cubed and half shredded1 lb. ground sausage1 egg slightly beaten1 stick of margarinePreheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook grits. Melt the cube cheese into the grits. Brown the sausage and drain off excess oil. Add the cooked sausage to the grits. Add the stick of margarine. Slightly beat the egg and add it to mixture. Pour into a baking dish and add the shredded cheese to the top. Bake for 30 minutes.This'sl make a grits lover outtau.
"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers
standard.jpg

Comments

• Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will also kill you slowly.Sure sounds good though.Clouder..
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the second time I've asked. What are grits? Sorry, must be a southern thing?
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Yea, what are grits anyway? us michiganers don't have that available around here.
    Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Grits, or Hominy Grits, is hominy that has been dried and ground for reconstituting and cooking later. It is the southern answer to corn meal mush. Taste a lot better, and is quicker to fix.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certain proof that Michiganders are culturally and gastronomically deprived!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OUCH!!! Damn, I didn't bust you in the chops for not being able to go out fishing in the great lakes and have fresh salmon for dinner, on the grill. You guys ever get pasties fresh from Canada? Guess thats a northern thing, huh?
    Though I was born to royalty, I was snatched at birth, so treat me as the noble I am!!!
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Being a native born Michigander and being there from the first salmon runs in the 60's when the fishing was really good for them, I wouldn't touch one of them polluted lake things now days. Grits are in the stores in MI.
    AlleninAlaska
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The lakes are alot cleaner these days. Heck even the sainaw river will freeze over round 20 degrese. When I was a kid the river never froze, even down to zero! Saginaw bay used to be so dirty that you couldn't see your anchor below 4 ft, now you can see a walley jig down 18-20 ft with good light through 2-3 ft of ice. Zebras have at least done something good around here. As far as grits, I guess I haven't been looking for them in stores, still never tasted them or seen what they look like. I'll keep a eye open and check em out.[This message has been edited by hunter280man (edited 02-26-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hunter280, I did mean it as a joke, and apologize if I mashed your toes. Do try the grits though, they are great. Usually eaten as a replacement for hash browns with breakfast or as a hot cereal, or as a replacement for mashed potatoes. I did have a steak and kidney pastie in England, and if the Canadian pasties are like that, you can keep them. We could show you some pasties in New Mexico, but I don't think you are allowed to get 'em in your mouth. [This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 02-26-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HeDog don't worry about my toes their just fine! Just figured I'd dish some back. Been in northern NM, Chamma, I enjoyed it and the cooking. Our pasties arn't like nothern europes, trust me on that one! Mark
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another southern thing is "Scrapple". What the hell is "Scrapple"?
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing I've learned from living above and below the mason/dixon. In the north we do have grits, we just put butter and sugar on them kind of like oatmeal. In the south it's usualy done with salt and pepper and possibly butter. Just depends on where you're raised. They're both good though.
    "An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a piss soaked paper bag!" -Patton
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Response to Hans G. -Fried pig innards. Yum!Or a popular board game, slightly misspelled. [This message has been edited by .280 freak (edited 02-26-2002).]
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Hans Grueber,They call it scrapple in Pittsburg, Pa., they call it Head Cheese in the south!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My soon to be wifey is from South Carolina....and eats them things called grits. May be kin to homeny...but man, sure dont taste like it. Ive tried to eat that mess 2-3 times...yuch! If you havent lived till you eat some "good" grits..well you may NOT live after either...dont think there is any "good" grits man. Will print recipie for soon to be wifey though...while she enjoys her "grits", I'll suffer thru maybe somesmoked quail,wild rice,and some BBQ smoked beans (my secret recipie of course)with somegood old mushy fries.......
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey rugernut, why dont you print up your quail recipe, sounds good!
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two eggs, over medium, grits, bacon, toast, jelly, Standard order, at home or on the road.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, good golly, Miss Molly! Turns out that I was wrong about something! How the H*** did THAT happen? I could have sworn that scrapple was fried pig innards, honest. What southern dish was I confusing scrapple with? A little help, here?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Chitterlings, pronounced Chit-lins!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THAT'S the one I was thinking of! Thanks!Not TOOOOOO obvious that I'm a Northerner, huh?
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Here is some good ole fashioned Alaskan cooking.Fried Beaver Tail2 Beaver Tails1/4 cup flour1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepper1/4 cup butter or other fat1/4 cup sherry1 teaspoon dry mustard1 teaspoon sugar1/4 teaspoon garlic powder1 tablespoon Worcestershire SauceSkin, clean, wash in salt water and soak beaver tail overnight in vinegar/salt/water solution. Drain and parboil in soda/water solution the above is done with 2 teaspoons of soda and 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to a simmer for 10 minutes.Dredge the Beaver Tails in the flour. Melt the butter in a cast iron frying pan and saute tails until tender.Mix wine and other seasonings, add to Beaver Tails and simmer for 10 minutes, basting often. Throw away the Beaver Tail and consume the remaining gruel. no serious, this is a good recipe for Beaver.If anybody needs any recipes for Lynx, wolf or walrus, let me know as I have hundreds of Alaskan Recipes. Thank You.
    AlleninAlaska
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    algore:Good grief, ya gotta blanch 'em and skin 'em first. YUKKKKKKK!!Clouder..