In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dances With Wolves

Dave3Dave3 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Has always been one of my favorite "simply" entertaining movies, no thick plot, no thinking required, just enjoy......... then recently Encore played the "Director's Cut" version. WOW, I can't believe the great scenes that I've never seen before. My wife hates it when I watch a movie for the 10 or 30th time (yea I know, sometimes I just want to veg) but even she thought this was almost a different movie it offered so many additional scenes.

Did anybody else catch the Director's Cut of shu monty too tonka oowhatchee????

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Girlfriend was watching this movie and I was reading Varmint Hunter well it got to the part where they kill the Buffalo and those Indians were piling up (dropping in there tracks) running Buffalo. How big of an arrow does that take. Costner was doing the same with a lever action. Pretty hard to believe unless it was a 700 nitro or maybe 50 BMG. You gotta love Hollywood.
    "Protect the Right to Protect yourself"
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did you ever notice that in 99% of those movies them guns never kick?? I watched cherokee kid last night, same thing, gun go bang but gun never move.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Them boys made some awful good shots with those old rifles that shot pistol bullets, And shooting pistols off of horseback dang they were good.
    "Protect the Right to Protect yourself"
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't even measure up until you can kill 16 indians with one six shooter without reloading on a moving horse. Thats into the wind without adjustable sights and the sun in your eye.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But they dont use sights,,shoot from the hip at over 100 yards and kill em with one shot! My son made a comment about that saying them big guns dont kick, he was 9 years old at the time and I guessed it was time for a little lesson, we went out side with three guns, single 12g , john wayne style 45-70 and a taurus 44 mag. handed them to him one at a time untill he said the actors aint shootin real ones are they. He got a little respect for them now!! Although the wife was mad at me for that, he didnt tell me but later on that evening he told "mommy" his arm and shoulder hurt.Little brat told on me!
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    John Wayne, if you remember had a patch over one eye...Winchester lever action in one hand...colt in the other...with the horse's reins in his teeth ("True Grit"), killed 3-4 bad guys and never got a scratch.Now Robert Redford ("Jeremiah Johnson"), did exhibit noticeable recoil from "Hatchet Jack's" genuine Hawkin .50 caliber rifle....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I remember that but that was a rarity for hollywood unless they wanted to add some comedy. That was a good movie, now that you brought that up I may have to shoo the kids away from the tv and watch that tonite.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Granted, Hollywood is full of crap most of the time. Still, have any of you considered that some of those gunslingers were really very, very, VERY good shots?
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about putting up Bob Munden (no camera tricks here) against any of those hollywood gunslingers...It has been said that Glenn Ford and Sammy Davis Jr. were pretty fast gun handlers...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bob Munden, isnt he the one that is on TNN alot? I know he is good but some of those hollywood shots are ......well lets just say a pipe dream.
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    I am not sure if this is a fact or not but I have been told that a Buffalo can outrun a horse. My dad spent a lot of time studying the old west and said the Indians sometimes used to run them off of cliffs to kill them.
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Otoman - Yeah, they did run them off cliffs. The slaughter of the herds to near extinction will always remain both a trgady and a mystery as to why it was done. However, the myth that the American Indian used every part of every buffalo he killed should be laid to rest as part of that saga as well. From the time of the mastadons until there were firearms in the picture, the most efficient method of killing large numbers of large beasts was either to corner them in some fashion where you could shoot arrows, or throw spears into them at your leisure or herd a bunch of them off a cliff and let gravity do the work. While there is no doubt that the Indians had a use for every part of the critter, they clearly did not kill buffalo only when they could justify it by not leaving a scrap of meat or an inch of hide behind. And in these PC times you will have to look hard to find reports of the Indians using firearms in the wholesale killing of buffalo, but they do exist. Everyone shares a degree of blame for that disaster.
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Interesting ndbilly!
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just like on Quigly Down Under, oh wait, those were aboriginies. That was pretty sick, but it was an awesome movie. I think i will go and try and find it at wally world. You know what they say, "IF wal-mart does not have it, you don't need it." Can i get an Amen, or will that close the thread?songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have no doubt that gun would kill a buffalo but I doubt in the manor depicted. Saxon if your going wal-mart it will be made in china. What happened to the wal-mart made in america push. I was trying to buy toys for a four year old and could not find anything not made in china. Those plane hijacking sons of bi_____. Love wal-mart, hate Communist.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is clear that no one here really understands the physics of recoil. If you hold your pistol at arm's length or there abouts, while sighting down the barrel, then squeeze the trigger there will be recoil. But, if you hold the pistol with bent elbow and sort of sling it toward the target with some wrist action jerking the trigger when it is in the general vicinity of the bad guys, you get no recoil. that little sling forward with the wrist action offsets the effect of recoil. It is also much more accurate than aiming, and actually conserves powder so that you get several more shots from your single six. This also works with lever actions if fired from a moving horse, which further enhances accuracy. You young fellas got a lot to learn about the way it used to be done...
  • Options
    glb243glb243 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking of Quigley, I do believe that the Sharps chambered in 45-120, would have no problem knocking down a bison.
    Aim small...Miss small
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a place near Beulah, WY where the Indians ran buffalo over the cliff. Seen pictures of it on the wall of the saloon in Beulah. Don't remember the name of the place though.I've got a real problem with these "one shot, one kill" cowboys (or Indians) that are shooting at a moving target (buffalo, bad guy, whatever) from a moving platform (horse). The gunners in the B-17's and B-24' can tell you how easy that is. NOT!!!!Mudge the picky
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys keep talking bout Hollywood and the actors' shooting, geez, why worry bout the Indians running buffalo off of a cliff, when youre beating an already dead horse to death? I thought we already knew that hollywood wasnt real.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1