In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crowded gun range

DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I was fortunate enough to buy a 9mm Beretta Model 92FS and a Ruger Model 77 Mark II .223 w/ Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5x10x40mm on Thursday evening from an FFL friend of mine who is cleaning out his personal collection. I was really looking forward to going to the range today. One of my buddies and I packed everything up and headed out about 9:00 this morning. The range was packed. A whole bunch of crazies along with it (the types who don't know much about firearms and it's that obvious because of their unsafe techniques). I like the comradery at the range, but there's a limit. It's the weekend before general rifle season opens for deer here in Oregon, coupled with the recent national tragedy. I knew it would be a little more crowded than usual, so I expected what I thought was the worst. It surpassed my wildest dreams. Kids were running around all over the place, etc, etc. Needless to say, I didn't spend much time there. Anybody else been to some crowded ranges recently and experiencing the same frustration?

Comments

• Options
    Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    No, I don't ever have this problem. I live in a VERY rural area and most of the times, I'm the only one there...This range is about 10 to 15 miles to the nearest town...of course I have to go at least 3 to 4 times a week..That's why I order Ammo. by the bulk...I guess I need to learn how to re-load..
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have notice an abnormal amount of left brass on the ground. As a reloader, I always look at the positive side of crowded ranges. More free brass.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just went to the range this afternoon. The place was PACKED! I noticed a lot of people who seemed like they weren't too familiar with the rules of the range. Took me 40 minutes of waiting on a 50 yard lane to get an opening on the 100 yard range. There was plenty of brass all over the place. One thing that really bugged me was that a lot of people left their sandbags and wood blocks on the bench when the range closed (yes, I stayed until they made me leave). I notice that during less-crowded times, when the regulars are there, the sandbags are put back in the box and the shooting areas left clean.Whatever, its still nice to see so many folks interested in guns now...By the way, the new M1A shoots beautifully right out of the box (very slight windage and elevation adjustments). 2" groups at 100 yds, iron sights with 165gr. BTSP. I would recommend that anybody who is not familiar with this rifle keep their thumb out of the action when the bolt slams closed (OUCH!).
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Went to the range here in the "desert paradise" of 29 Palms and was the only one on the range! I guess since we don't have the 110 degree highs people are coming out later than usual. Most of us that shoot over 100 yds show up 0630 and are gone by 1100 when it gets hot. I like some company but I hope I don't get the kind ya'll are getting.
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you see people that aren't familiar with our Fireing Range Ethics, we should assist them in anyway we can. Its our responsibility to make sure new people get good advice, to ensure that they will handle their firearms responsibly, for the whole gun community, because if we get a bunch of messups especially now, they'll take everything away...
  • Options
    NavyGunnerNavyGunner Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a shame that there isn't a gun safety course taught in schools these days but there are people, NEA,some Senators and Congressman, that ain't about to let that happen.In my business I use a public range about twice a week, ran my own for 26 yrs., and I am surprised that more people aren't shot there, much like "Road-Rage", you don't know who to try and help.I pick up the brass and while I am at it, I end up with a double hand full of live rounds that I find in doing so. If some kid picks up one of these rounds and somehow puts it in the right gun, shoots some other kid, "John Law" asks him where he got the ammo, that range is in a heap of trouble and could be closed down for allowing that to happen. So, next time you are at a range, while you are letting that over heated barrel to cool off, look for the live ones, may surprise you, could save someones life.