In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1 Garand ammo

redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Well, I finally got one and now it's time to load up some ammo. I've heard they can be damaged if you use too fast of burning powder. So I think I will start with 48 grn's of IMR-4895 behind a 150 grn fmj. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you search the reloading forum. Think I remember somebody posting their favorite for the Garand.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I don't know anything about reloading, but when i gor my garand i was told not to use modern commercial ammo. too hot.
    I bought a bunch of surplus, non corrosive M2. you can still get it at a decent price at CMP.
    I'll save my brass if you want it.
    tom
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just looked over in the reloading forum and my load seems about right.
    Tplumeri
    If you would save your brass I could always use extra.
  • Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I first got mine I reloaded according to a Speer #9 reloading manual and had some serious case exection problems. I just fire surplace ammo now and do a good job of cleaning.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:If you would save your brass I could always use extra

no problem, what are you using now?
    I have a box of M2 on clips on its way, need any?
    tom
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hornady manual has a small section just for the Garand.
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't shot it yet. I've got everything I need to load some for it already,even had a few clips laying around.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you just received your rifle and have not fired it I suggest that you start off with some M2 Ball ammo to test it's functioning, otherwise you won't know if any problems are from your relaods or from the rifle itself. . Once you've established that the rifle perfoms as expected with USGI ammo (or it's equal) then you can start tinkering around with hand loads. Keep in mind that the M1 was designed around a very specific loading/bullet weight and stepping too far out of specifications will result in a bent operating rod (or worse).
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is with slow burning powders. The residual port pressure remains too high. The military used IMR4895 for the M-2 ammo or so my source states.
  • jon ojon o Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't reload without a manual!!![;)][;)]