In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone else here smoke cigarettes ??

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
I quit for twelve years and went back again four years ago. Now I can't find the will power to stop again[:(!][:(!][:(!] I am so pissed off at my self. I was doing so well until I broke my back. Well I guess I can have one vice. I have been sober for five years as of January 1st.I have tried welbutrin and the patches,I couldn't keep them lit[:D]Seriously, I have tried almost every method. Next I am going to try hypnosis. Last time I quit, I went cold turkey and had no cravings. This time, I just can't get my self to even try. This just sucks[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Comments

• Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you Tried Electronic Cigarettes yet?
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    Just do the math on the money you'll save and that should be motivation enough! You could buy piles of 22ammo at today's prices!
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just remember that nobody likes a quitter ([:D] smoker here [:D])
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of non-smokers find the smoke very annoying. Most people I know

want to quit but can't. You would think that in a health care crisis we

are going through people would eat right and exercise. I hope you can

quit.[:)]
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your choice,.....if you have enough reason to quit, you can do it.
    If not, smoke away and look forward to COPD, or lung cancer.

Yea, easy for me to say as I never smoked.
    I DID use Skoal for many years, and managed to quit. They say snuff is harder to quit than smoking, and I don't even have kids.

Make your choice, and do it one way or the other.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    It isn't easy.
    Try chantix.

It nearly killed me. But most people have no trouble with it.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe this will help for every pack you buy you give Obama a 100.0066 and chris cristie 2.57
    New Jersey cig taxes

$2.575 state

$1.0066 fed

$3.58
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit in 1985 after trying many times. I found that you need a real good reason to motivate you. Mine was the health of my daughter and the effect of my second hand smoke on her. Once I realized that my smoking was adversely affecting her, it was pretty easy to stop cold turkey.

Look around for a good reason, family, your health, your pets health, whatever you see that is being negatively affected by your smoking and use that as your motivation. Quitting in never easy, but until you really want to, it will be almost impossible.

Smoking is one of the most addicting things you can do. And the way cigarettes are being made now, there is a higher concentration of nicotine than there was back in the day when they used real tobacco.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Montanajoe and I quit two years ago.

I smoked for 34 years.

If I can do it....you can do it.

I have faith in you.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59

I smoked for 34 years.

I have faith in you.
    +++++++++1!!!! 34 years also.
    You can do it!!! Best to you.!!!!
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could take up pipe smoking.

You'll get your nicotine fix and look smart at the same time
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quit about 16 years ago, undoubtedly the best decision I ever made. Cigarettes killed both of my parents.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie just think about what i went through. Remove my tongue, double neck disection, trach, 4 surgeries and i dont smoke.

All i can say try for your family.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    I quit for twelve years and went back again four years ago. Now I can't find the will power to stop again[:(!][:(!][:(!] I am so pissed off at my self. I was doing so well until I broke my back. Well I guess I can have one vice. I have been sober for five years as of January 1st.I have tried welbutrin and the patches,I couldn't keep them lit[:D]Seriously, I have tried almost every method. Next I am going to try hypnosis. Last time I quit, I went cold turkey and had no cravings. This time, I just can't get my self to even try. This just sucks[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

I quit cold turkey about 13 years ago. Never started again. Never thought about starting again.

All it takes is mind over matter. [;)] All that BS about withdrawal symptoms is just BS. It is the HABIT that is hard to break...reaching for that smoke after eating, when taking a work break, with coffee, with a beer, etc.
    IS IS ALSO BS YOU WILL HAVE MORE MONEY BECAUSE YOU QUIT SMOKING!!!

[^]

In red: All true. You need the right motivation. Without it, you are pissing in the wind.
  • Options
    ltslts Member Posts: 811 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For zhits and giggles I tried group hypnosis October of 1995. To this day I still wonder how and why it worked. Finally did my part after many years of trying to quit. Best $39.95 investment to date!
    Go for it Oakie, it's for you!
  • Options
    theranger1theranger1 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I smoked in college cause it was Cooool. Always had to smoke when drinking beer or liquor. Then I quit buying, just bummed off my Cowboy buddies. They got tired of it, so I just quit.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure I'd enjoy a smoke right now.

But it would stink up the house.

And it'd take three or four days for my lungs to clear out again.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie

Same deal here but, I'm under or at a pack a day.
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    I quit when i was 42 now going on 16 years smoke free[^][:)][8D][^][:)][:p][8D][;)]
    i did toke on a cigar on my son's wedding,daughter's wedding and next weekend on the 9th i will toke on 1 more for my 3rd and last wedding.

and i will have a shot or 2 too[}:)]been 2 years since i quit drinking[:0][}:)]
  • Options
    TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just because you quit doesn't mean you're out of the woods. My son-in-laws Mother quit last May and found out last week that she has lung cancer.
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope she gets better. It also destroys the heart and blood vessels.

With so many things that can kill you, why add to the list. It killed my grandmother and no she didn't die happy like she told me!
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe

I smoked for 34 years.

I have faith in you.

33 year smoker here ...

I quit in '97 when I found out / realized smoking is bad for your eyes and I had just gotten a prescription for glasses ... All was good for 9 months until I got weak at a Super Bowl Sunday party ...

Then it took me 3 years to find the right motivation again. That was when I found out I was going to be a dad again and quit when Abby was born 12 years ago ... She keeps me strong.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I guess I just never saw much point to smoking so it didn't become an issue.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still smoke and have no intention of quitting. Just had two of my best friends pass recently. They had just quit for about 6 months when they were diagnosed with cancer. I'm afraid of the same thing happening to me so I'm riding it out. Besides I need to have one bad habit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimberkid
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe

I smoked for 34 years.

I have faith in you.

33 year smoker here ...

I quit in '97 when I found out / realized smoking is bad for your eyes and I had just gotten a prescription for glasses ... All was good for 9 months until I got weak at a Super Bowl Sunday party ...

Then it took me 3 years to find the right motivation again. That was when I found out I was going to be a dad again and quit when Abby was born 12 years ago ... She keeps me strong.

That's some serious motivation right there![;)]
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sperry
    I'm sure I'd enjoy a smoke right now.

But it would stink up the house.

And it'd take three or four days for my lungs to clear out again.

same here but I would go outside

glad I quit though

you can quit if you want to bad enough

thanks to those on here who supported and encouraged me when I quit the last time[^]
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I'm the only person who will just plain out say "I LIKE'EM" [:)] I know they're bad for health reasons but I like'em. A few years back the talk was 2nd hand smoke was more dangerous so that convinced me that 1st hand smoke was safer so I'm getting it 1st hand [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    half pack a day here.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer
    half pack a day here.

Damm you certainly can do better then that.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never smoked, my parents did and that's all I needed to know I wanted my money in guns, not ashes.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, quite a bit of my money goes up in smoke....gunsmoke! And I have inhaled a lot of it in the last 50 years. No one in my family smokes or drinks, either. But I have nothing against anybody who engages in those activities, if that's what they want to do. I like people but I am not going to meddle in their affairs or tell them how to live their lives.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I smoked for 25 years. Bottom line is you will stop when it becomes important to you.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Took a heart attack July 1990 for me to quit. But at times I still get a craving. Most times it just stinks. But a cool Crisp Morning and a cup of Coffee it brings on the Cravings.

I was up to 3 packs a day, No way I could afford that now.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never stop trying! I tried hundreds of times and then did. It was so easy I could not even feel virtuous about it. Keep trying!
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Never stop trying! I tried hundreds of times and then did. It was so easy I could not even feel virtuous about it. Keep trying!

Dale's got it; keep trying. One day you'll reach the 72nd hour smoke free and KNOW you've done it. I wish you the best.

Clouder..
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOT a smoker here...

But I've seen first hand the effects of it and I've dealt first hand with the effects of second hand smoke.

My Dad smoked ALL his life since he was 11 years old... Died from lung cancer at 67.
    My Mom smoked ALL her life since about 18 years old... Stopped cold turkey one night...
    While laying on a hospital bed dying... To continue to live and is still kicking at 78.
    So my entire life until I was 18... I suffered from lung ailments due to second hand smoke...
    And continue to suffer 'till today. Not as bad now... But it still can be if circumstances are are right.

I tried a pipe when I was in my late 20's... Thought it was cool. I enjoyed it.
    But then soon after, our eldest son John was born with Cystic Fibrosis... With serious lung problems.
    I quit and put my pipe away... Never picked it up again.

You can do what you want to do... You simply need to have your mind right and make the decision for the correct reasons.

Mine was my son's health... And it has helped my own health as well.

My Mom's decision was her own life and the fact she had watch my Dad die from lung cancer.
    She now suffers with COPD... But she still lives. 25 years ago she had but a few days left.

Make the decision... Stand behind it. You and yours will be glad you did it...
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    [:0]I'm a second hand smoker.

Just about everyone in my immediate and close extended family smokes, and smoke like chimneys, but I've never had the urge to light up.

Same w/ alcohol and narchodics, never tempted never done.
  • Options
    mijelomijelo Member Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not hard to quit.
    I started smoking 1948,
    I quit Jan '88-April'88
    June'88--Jan'89,May'89--
    Jan'90,July'90--Jan'91-
    -Jan'92--Jan'93--Jan'94
    Jan'95--- May'96 Wifes
    Birthday,she was diagnosed
    with C.O.P.D last smoke
    that I had was just before
    the Doc,'s appointment have'nt
    had one since.
    IT IS HARD TO HURT THE ONE YOU LOVE.
    mijelo
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Oakie At a pack a Day
    I Think that if You Quit You Would Have Around Another $300 A month
    To Spend On Guns & Ammo
    But the best thing You will Spend Is less on hospital Time Through Life!!!
    Please Quit My Mom and Dad Did The Day they Died From lung Cancer[:0]
    Woody