In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Robber's widow sues for wrongful death

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/armed-robbers-widow-suing-store-clerk-who-shot-and-killed-her-husband-during-robbery-attempt/

quote:In New Mexico a widow is suing a store clerk who shot and killed her husband when he tried to rob the clerk's store in 2010.

The widow's case alleges that the shop clerk bears more of the blame for her husband's death than her husband does because he had time to call the police instead of shooting her armed husband.

Yes, that's right, she thinks the clerk is more at fault.

Sedillo's attorney, Amavalise Jaramillo, the attorney for Sedillo's widow, said it all comes down to who had more fault in the case.

While Jaramillo acknowledges the suspect's role in what happened, he said Beasley shares more blame.

"He does bear some fault, but it's like a pie. You divide out the fault accordingly, and Mr. Beasley could have done something different," Jaramillo said.

Seriously? This isn't a car accident where two people both did something stupid resulting in a car accident. This suspect chose to rob this store. He chose to bring a gun. He chose to point that gun at the clerk. The only choice the clerk made was refusing to be a victim.

The attorney went on,

"He had no basis to believe that his life was in danger," Jaramillo said. "Most robberies end with an attempt to get money. They really don't kill the clerks."

Really? So the clerk was just supposed to put the trust for his life in the hands of a man who was pointing a gun at him? I'm sure his intentions were nothing but good.

The lawsuit is also going after the owner of the shop as well as the local police department, because you can never sue enough people, right?
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Jaramillo should be disbarred and hanged, and I care not as to the order of events.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Jaramillo should be disbarred and hanged, and I care not as to the order of events.

+1

Or at a minimum they should both be pistol whipped and sent back to Mexico.
    RLTW

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06

+1

There ya go.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    That's BS,,[:(!][:(!][V][V]
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These law suits happen after almost any criminal is killed. Police departments settle with cash payments, as it is often cheaper to pay than to defend. I don't know how a store clerk can settle cheaper. Maybe he owns the store and has deep pockets?
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Widow should be beaten to death.

Scumbag lawyer should be beaten to death.

Any judge allowing case to proceed should be beaten to death.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Yellow Pages is full of them.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That wouldn't get anywhere here in OK. We have a lot of good laws protecting people when using guns in lawful defense. It also charges would-be robbers with murder if someone is shot and killed (even if the good guy shoots one of the robbers, the surviving robbers gets charged).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the mentality in this country she'll probably win. [V]
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    the lawyer should be disbarred[:(!]

But nowhere did i see those idiots being from Mexico to be sent back
    is the last name a free pass to being a Mexican national[?]quote:Originally posted by Sam06

+1

• Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Nice to see you again Henry... you've been missed.

NS
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is lawyer speak, and I heard the pie thing with an insurnace company.

home inspector failed to check something on the house I bought he admitted it and the repair was going to cost X dollars. Went back and forth with his insurance. and I basically got a third of X because some how I had fault or piece of the pie in it. Its rediculous.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well if stupid greedy widow is so inclined make her serve husbands time for the crime ...I am so sick of these bozos...most other countries in the world would give this ZERO time and tell her to go to work or starve...or try that in mexico
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the lawyers who instigate those cases were hung or shot, there would soon be a LOT fewer in court(both cases and lawyers).
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOSER PAYS! NOW!
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe .. just maybe she was in the car when her husband went inside to rob.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...In the present Bizzaro World, doesn't surpise me, will probably be dismissed by the Judge.

TWO robbers, at least one pointing a gun at the clerk during a robbery, would probably set a Precident if it went forward & won, which is highly unlikely in the light of the fact the DA didnt even bother to file as it was cut & dried self defense...even in Lib lah-lah land...[;)]

Just another example of how stupid runs plum down to the bone...[;)]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc

If I were the judge, I'd hear the whole case...with ear plugs in.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I'd make sure she was charged as an accessory to the robbery. After all she probably knew he was going to rob the store and she had time to stop it.............."whats good for the goose.............."
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    quote:Originally posted by Doc

If I were the judge, I'd hear the whole case...with ear plugs in.

problem is our laws are set up to be pro litigation, lawyers make the laws to continue work for their profession. Congress would do everybody a favor by creating some anti liability legislation.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lawyers who are members of the state bar should be considered to be part of the court system. Under the separation of powers doctine they should be prohibited from serving in the other two branches of government.
    No more lawyer full employment acts & problem solved.