In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mice Invading My Pickup Truck--Advice Needed

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,280 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in General Discussion
I have a 1996 Nissan King Cab. I had noticed the condensation from the a/c was blocked, and the water was running onto the floor of the passenger's side. In a few weeks, the a/c blower fan started making a funny noise when set on 3 or 4.
My mechanic removed a mouse nest from the a/c area. He said he had to take out the glove box to do it. Cost $60, worked fine after that.
A few weeks later, I started getting the same noise from the blower fan on my other Nissan pickup, a 1995 King Cab. I have just been running that fan on 1 or 2 till I could get it fixed.
This morning, I got into the 1996 truck. I hadn't driven it in 4 days.
I turned on the a/c, it smelled like a rotten mouse in the vents. I took it to the mechanic, he said he couldn't get to it for 6 days.
I am no great mechanic, but I was desperate. I took out the glove box, took out a metal plate behind it, took out a little 3 inch high oval device out of a big plastic box which holds the a/c apparatus. It looked like a radiator for the a/c inside that * plastic box.
On the bottom of that metal box was a dead mouse, crawling with maggots. Good thing I had practice dealing with dead humans with maggots crawling when I was a Paramedic, that could have made a guy sick to his stomach.
I scooped the mouse out with a spoon, and cleaned the area with hot soapy water, and sprayed it down with Febreze. I am letting it air out now.
Guys, I am being invaded! I have had the '95 truck for ten years and have never had a rodent problem.
What can I do to keep these guys out of my trucks? Can I install some wire mesh where they are entering the truck?

Comments

• Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    allen,

We're seeing the same thing here. I just got a newsletter from my dealship warning that there is apparently an "invasion" of mice this year. The dealership has seen a 1000% (yes, 1000%) increase in damage from mice and squirrels this year as opposed to all of the rest of the years that they have records. They said that it was mostly related to wiring that had been destroyed by the rodents gnawing through insulation but they did mention some nesting also. Reported average repair was approximately $450.00 per vehicle when electrical systems (computer harnesses?) were involved.

They suggested putting moth balls in a knee-hi stocking and hanging it inside the engine compartment... Just don't run your fresh air fan unless you like the smell of moth balls.

Best.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Watch the movie "Willard," then report back.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    newkitten.jpgYou need a cat....
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you need a snake . www.kingsnake .com
  • Options
    ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need moth balls.The 'lil rodents don't like the smell.I use a small mesh bag from 3# bags of onions and fill it with moth balls and put it as close to the area as possible.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had to replace wireing on a truck & a car from mice chewing on them. The mechanic found dog food stored in the air filter space.
    Now I put a block of rat bait on top of the engine block.
    It works but there was an awful smell & I had to cut a hole in the garage wall to get a dead rat & her babies out of the wall.