In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cashing in a Roth

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
What are the penalties, if any for withdrawing money from a Roth?

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Comments

• Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    You can take out $10,000 one-time-only for a house or school expenses.
    You get a form for disbursement, and say "house purchase".
    They don't really check beyond that. It can be for the mortgage.

There may also be some medical conditions which would allow withdraw without penalty.

Call your fund manager if you want more than 10K (each, you + wife).

It might be 10% + taxes...not sure on that one.
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10% penalty off the top for the FEDS, your state probably takes a penalty pinch out of it too.

The income could bump you into a higher tax bracket. You won't have that headache until 2005 tax time though.

Them ducks is wary.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Dont you just love how they penalize ya for using your own money??[:D]

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    Dont you just love how they penalize ya for using your own money??[:D]

Its not your money, its the governments money. Thet just let you hold onto it under certain conditions.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about withdrawing ALL the money? You can take out your 'principal' without penalty, you've already been taxed on that, that's the idea behind the ROTH IRA.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember You may have to pay estamated tax on top of it beacuse its considered income-

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought you were talkin about a Roth Steyr.
  • Options
    Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    10% penalty, 20% federal withholding and any applicable state tax.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very similiar question asked on fox news. Here's the C&P

Can you please go over the taxes that you are required to pay with a Roth IRA? I know it is federal income tax free at time of withdrawal but what about state and local taxes on those withdrawals?

First of all, withdrawals from a Roth IRA are NOT always federally tax-free. Only those that meet the definition of "qualified" escape federal income tax.

A "qualified" distribution is one that is made after the Roth IRA is at least 5 years old and when one of the following is also true:

1. the Roth IRA owner has reached age 59 1/2; or

2. The Roth IRA owner dies and the beneficiary begins withdrawals; or

3. The Roth IRA owner becomes disabled; or

4. The Roth IRA owner withdraws $10,000 toward the purchase of a first-time home.

Since Roth contributions are made with after-tax dollars, these amounts are never taxed again. And they can be withdrawn at any time. Let me restate this so there is no confusion: Roth IRA contributions can be withdrawn tax-free and penalty-free at any time.

But this does not apply to the earnings on those contributions. These could be subject to ordinary income tax as well as a possible 10% penalty if your withdrawal doesn't meet the above definition of "qualified." In addition, earnings on money you converted from a tax-deductible IRA to a Roth could also be hit with a penalty unless you time it right.

In general, states tend to treat Roth IRA withdrawals the same as the federal government. But you can't count on this. Take Pennsylvania, for instance. According to John Logan, the Senior State Tax Analyst at CCH, under Pennsylvania law Roth IRA withdrawals are only considered "qualified"- and therefore tax-free- if the IRA owner is at least age 59 1/2 and retired. There is apparently no five-year requirement and the three other exceptions do not apply.

Sometimes, when someone is talking to me, my mind drifts off and I
    start thinking about guns I'd like to own.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreenLantern
    Very similiar question asked on fox news. Here's the C&P

A "qualified" distribution is one that is made after the Roth IRA is at least 5 years old and when one of the following is also true:

1. the Roth IRA owner has reached age 59 1/2; or

2. The Roth IRA owner dies and the beneficiary begins withdrawals; or

3. The Roth IRA owner becomes disabled; or

4. The Roth IRA owner withdraws $10,000 toward the purchase of a first-time home.

I believe there are also "qualified" distributions if the money being withdrawn for certain education expenses for oneself or some family members--check the IRS website; I know they have the details there.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    FROM VANGUARD WEB SITE
    http://flagship5.vanguard.com/web/corpcontent/scatSvcsRetIRACompare.html

Early Withdrawal Penalty Tax

You will pay a 10% penalty on a premature withdrawal unless your distribution qualifies as an exception to the penalty. (Distributions from a SIMPLE IRA are subject to 25% penalty within the first 2 years, then 10% thereafter.) The penalty will not apply if the distribution is used for:

* A first-time home purchase (lifetime maximum is $10,000).
    * Postsecondary education expenses.
    * Substantially equal periodic payments taken under IRS guidelines.
    * Medical expenses exceeding 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.
    * An IRS levy.
    * Health insurance premiums (after you have received at least 12 consecutive
    weeks of unemployment compensation).
    * Disability.
    * Death.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Got nailed for 35-40% on a $40,000 one. But that was 10yrs ago.
    Walte
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    What is the ROTH money invested in? What was it invested in the last 3 years? If you had it in the market the last 3 years. You've taken a bath and you need to leave it in to recover. Right now is a HORRIBLE time to cash out IRA's that have walked down with the market the last 3 years.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if the ROTH withdrawals count toward the income limits before Social Security benefits are taxed? The regular IRAs & 401ks do & that is a major headache for me. I should have emptied out the retirement accounts BEFORE we started taking Social Security.