In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Favorite Classical [music] Piece?

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Anyone here a fan of classical music? If so, what's your favorite piece. I'm currently listening to Pachelbel's Canon in D performed on the piano. It's a lovely piece for anyone who has not heard it. I wholeheartedly recommend it. Very stirring and poignant.

signew.JPG

"In a world of compromise, some don't."

anim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gif

Utica.gif

Comments

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little diddy called "The William Tell Ovature" is nice.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That stinks!!! [:0] I thought you meant like a blunderbuss or muzzleloader or something like a classic gun. [:D] To some of us here, "piece" means firearm... Just kidding.

I like beethoven's 9th symphony, and his 5th. It depends on the mood I'm in.

All it takes for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration; the streets are safer, the police are more effective, and the rest of the world will follow us into history--Hitler 1937
  • SamieJ1959SamieJ1959 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Flight of the Bumble Bee"

You get out of life what you put into it. If you put nothing, you get nothing.
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    INA GADDA DAVIDA

Gun_smokes.gif
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The Planets" by: Gustav T. Holst
    Mars is my favorite of the whole suite.

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Depends on my mood.
    Rimsky-Korsakoff's Scheherazade (sp) is for when I'm practicing trigger pull.
    DeBussy's Claire de Lune for gun cleaning.
    Mario Lanza's album The Student Prince for getting ready for an IDPA match.
    Ravel's Bolero for reloading pistol, Al Jolson's Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder for reloading Rifle.
    Vivaldi's Four Seasons for when Friends is on.
    Tchaikovski for morning exercises (lather, rinse, repeat).
    Mozart for drinking beer while reading Shakespeare.
    Classical Irish drinkin' ditties for when I'm out of Shakespeare.
    Sade for workin' on tiny metal pieces that seem to magically appear when I finally get the sideplate off of most revolvers.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chopin 'Barber of Seville' [:)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Subterranean Homesick Blues....B.Dylan.Part 1....

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Barber's Adagio for Strings

army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Yo!
    Very tough question.
    The violin cadenza in the first movement of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D is pretty fancy fiddle'in.

And within the Prokofiev piano sonatas, there are passages of pure brilliance; nearly impossible to totally appreciate; like shooting in the "xx" at 100 yards open sites blindfolded.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    The war of the worlds is great and I enjoy "The Planets" as well.
    If I want to listen to singing, then I put on Charolette Church and The Irish Tenors.[:D][:D][^][^]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Fur Elise by Beethoven

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • rpo242rpo242 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Beethoven's 9th. I have a digital recording of the 1812
    Overture. That really winds things up.

Liebestraum(spelling) is probably my favorite piano piece.

You can't miss fast enough.
  • Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/bach/brandenburg/brand2-3-trpt.mid

NRA ENdowment, CRPA Life, NRA ILA EVC, Past President NRA Members Council
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem. Semper Fidelis
    marinesega2.jpg
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Wagner - Flight of the Valkyries

The Triumphal March from Aida

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Personally I played my best movement in my shorts!!![^][:0]

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Jackass420Jackass420 Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dvorak's New World Symphony has been playing through my head as of late. Esp. Mvt.2 Largo.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toss up between Bachs St matthews passion, or Bachs Chaconne for solo violin.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lone Ranger theme song.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Flight of the Valkryies

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning..smells like...VICTORY !"
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Anything by JS Bach, but especially Aria da Capo from "the Goldberg Variations'. Love that harpsicord! Chopin's 'Teardrops' moved me to tears the first time I heard it. Also anything by Boston, undoubtedly one of the most compositionally complex bands ever. Awesome subject! How about poetry next?

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know the title but it has the word "Troll's" in it...I don't know who it's done by either?...I know I like it.

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rossini wrote an opera entitled "The Barber of Seville". My favorite composer is Dvorak. The single, most beautiful,piece of music ever written is Brahm's Alto Rhapsody, my opinion.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Favorite Classical [music] Piece?
    Jail House Rock! What else? [:D][:D][;)]

denny
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classical Gas...[:o)]

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Wiskey River by Willie Nelson.[:D][:D][:D]
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Ave Maria

Nord
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Having a daughter who has made music her life, there isn't much I dont like....Over the years I have heard it all and love most of it....
    Each composer was studied, and out of all of them there may be 10 pieices I dont care for...Favorite?...dont have one, each one can move me to tears or lift me higher than the clouds...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I studied classical piano for 10 years as a kid, from age 5; tutor wanted to know if I was interested in performing when I was 15 -- I laughed; he was mildly insulted. I didn't take him seriously, and besides, I knew nobody making good money that way.

Yes, before I sold out to rock 'n roll, [8D] I grew up with classics, and you remind me how hard it would be to pick any favorites. I like anything by Bach or Mozart and much of Rachmaninov, Chopin, Beethoven, some of Mahler and Wagner (without the vocals, thank you), and many of the basics including Sheherazade (sp?), the Grand Canyon Suite, Peter & the Wolf, and so on. I even enjoy the motion picture work of Herrmann (Hitchcock films), Max Steiner (King Kong '33) and Korngold (The Sea Hawk, Robin Hood). If you doubt me, try the Marco Polo CD of the Moscow Symphony playing the score of King Kong, sometime. Wow. I'm also amazed at what John Barry can do with simple themes in the 007 movies and in the remake of Kong, and I have enjoyed some of John Williams, even though I've read catty claims that everything he writes, he borrows in some fashion from "The Planets." Yes, a tough question.

I got a kick out of your mention of Pachelbel's Canon because that popped into my head right away, as did a couple others mentioned above. Pachelbel's underappreciated by musicians, though it appears on many "popular" collections of classical music. Like Ravel's Bolero, Pachelbel is sort of a love session set to music that builds to a passionate *. But it's less appreciated than Bolero among classical purists (including an ex-girlfriend of mine who turned up her nose at it) only because of its first-glance simplicity and its popularity, I think. I find it hypnotic and clever, not simple-minded. Less is more -- it's a textbook study in how much can be done with one single theme.

And you can't mention Classical Gas without also mentioning Richard Harris' "Someone left the cake out in the raaaaain..." Or, not... [:o)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpg NRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Chopin 'Barber of Seville' [:)]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img]Lol, chopin didn't write the barber of seville, rosini did.[:D] My personal favorite is mozart's requiem mass, although I'm a huge fan of Chopin's nocturnes keeping in line with my polish blood (they're equally good in my opinion). Frog Frog[/img]divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by offeror
    Pachelbel's underappreciated by musicians, though it appears on many "popular" collections of classical music.

That's because it is extremely simple ( I've played like 3 different arrangements) and everyone and their dog uses it in their weddings.[8D][8D][:p][:p]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frog -- You played extremely simple arrangements, but the full orchestral work has a lot more going on. [;)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpg NRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be hard to pick a favorite. But, there are two songs that come to mind that I really enjoy. The first one is Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. The second one, and the best rendition I've heard of it, is on the soundtrack for the movie The Shawshank Redemption. It's played during the part when the guy locks himself in the wardens office.

My grandfather once told me,"It's not what a man possesses that determines the importance and quality of his life, but rather what possesses the man.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i always liked WAGNERS RINGS DE NIMBELUGEN operatic pieces
    hall of the mountin king, ride of the valkeries, dance of the suger plum fairies, flight of the bumble bee, moonlight sonata, vangelis chariots of fire, etc...

we had piano lessons as children, and my sister continued to become quite an accomplished pianist and vocalist. i grew up hearing the music played and vocalized well. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brth729
    The second one, and the best rendition I've heard of it, is on the soundtrack for the movie The Shawshank Redemption. It's played during the part when the guy locks himself in the wardens office.

The name of that aria is "CHE SOAVE ZEFFIRETTO" from the opera, THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO, by Mozart.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I don't know squat about classical music, but Fur Elise sends me someplace when I hear it...dheff sez it's Beethoven...

My baby girl had a bed time gizmo that played Fur Elise.

Like all favorite songs it brings back memories...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brth729
    It would be hard to pick a favorite. But, there are two songs that come to mind that I really enjoy. The first one is Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven. The second one, and the best rendition I've heard of it, is on the soundtrack for the movie The Shawshank Redemption. It's played during the part when the guy locks himself in the wardens office.The duet? It's hard to believe that there are only 2 women singing. It's Mozart, from "The Marriage of Figaro", it's called "L'ho perduta".Don't ask me what it means as I don't speak Italian. Genius!

My grandfather once told me,"It's not what a man possesses that determines the importance and quality of his life, but rather what possesses the man.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Seek And Destroy Overture by Metallica![}:)]

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
    edited November -1
    Oops, Salzo, you are right. Thats what I get for trying to read a cd case without my glasses...

edited November -1
    rcxsoldlady- Are you sure? I saw your post and I was thinking I might have the wrong title for that aria.

-Jimmy the cheese man