In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

LAZER EYE SURGERY

TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Anyone here on the forums have this done? I'm seriously thinking about doing it, but have yet to hear from anyone that's had it done.I've read all the info flyers, but want to hear from someone thats not trying to sell it to me. Did you have any problems with night vision? Periphial vision? halos or starburst? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some problems with my eyes.

I say DONT DO IT you only get one set of eyes dont mess with them. Doctors have suggested I have the procedure done. There is no way in heck I am gonna do it. Not worth the chance in my book.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had RK done around 1985, when they were still using little blades, by a guy in Glendale, CA, who learned it from the Russian inventor of the procedure. The blades were far less precise than the lasers. I've researched the laser too recently, for touch-ups in the future.

They always tell you up front that you will probably still need reading glasses as you age over 40, when the corneas stiffen up. That's what happened to me eventually, but I consider it a minor point. I'm still much better off. I used to have vision around 20/600 and wore coke bottle glasses at all times, and I'm no worse than about 20/50 even now -- on my last driver's test I still passed the vision test without glasses on. I used to be "blind." I was blind at the beach, in the shower, in bed (couldn't even read the clock). Now, for a lot of things I can choose to take them off and operate with my vision a little soft. That's a luxury. This is a vast improvement.

So if you ever need glasses, they will be light, thin, and you can even get the lenses that darken in the sunshine -- something my glasses used to be too thick to qualify for.

These days with the laser, most of the side effects are history, because the lasers are so much more precise than the blade surgery was. They still have to warn you of the possibilities though. Obviously, you have to get someone who has done this a thousand times before, and is thoroughly expert with the latest equipment. New machines are introduced every now and then. The docs don't usually put them into service until they've become completely comfortable operating them. It's probably better to choose someone cautious than a "pioneer of the latest procedure." They are the ones that tend to make a mistake and they are the ones you hear some tragic story about. I've heard of the rare case where somebody had their vision impaired or got a mediocre result, and this should not be taken lightly, but by far, most people have great results and no major problems at all these days.

So, with that one caveat of a competent ophthalmologist using well tested equipment, you can expect excellent and almost immediate results. The starring you mention was mostly with the old manual blade procedure -- the tiny marks around the edge of your cornea will heal much cleaner and thinner than mine in practically no time, and therefore not likely to produce much starring at all. There's very little if any swelling with laser surgery and that also enables a more accurate result. I did have some starring at first (of lights at night only), but I was able to drive within a short time, and mine cleared up gradually. With the laser, you probably won't even be inconvenienced to that extent. There is no effect on peripheral vision that I am aware of when the surgery is done nominally. I never had any problem with that myself, even with the old blade procedure.

What I did was ask enough questions that my anxiety disappeared. Then I knew I was ready. If you have nagging doubts, keep asking until you find the perfect situation. This is one area where a discount store is not the best choice.... [:D]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had it done 2 years ago in Winnepeg, Canada by a Dr Kadambi. It was great. An hour after the surgery I was driving and they next day I was seeing 20/20 and drove about 5 hours on the way home. My vision dropped to 20/15 and has stayed about there. In the town where I work there are about 60 people who went to the same docter (town has about 3500 people). I know of two who had problems due to their eyes were super sensitive to the surgery. The both went back and it worked the second time.

He had been doing them for about 13 years when I did it. Was very fast, about 5 minutes per eye. I had a stigmatism in both eyes so my total was $1,000 US and $100 US for check ups locally. You have to use some expensive eyedrops for about 3 months after the surgery because your eyes get dry. Not much other than that.

Would not hesitate to do it again.[^]

Mad Dog
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    My boss had it done.He even brought in a video of his surgury and had us watch it.I would not hesitate to do it and would if I could afford it.It isn`t covered by my insurance and would cost me about $3000.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good topic, thanks for the information.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had it done, and wouldn't hesitate for a second to do it again if I had to.

I even had some of the complications that they warn you can happen. My eyes were so bad that they had to go back and do a second surgery (enhancement), I was as bad off as Offeror. If you know your diopters, mine were -10.25. Then there was some particles under one of the lenses, so they had to do an 'irrigation' (lift the flap and wash).

It was really expensive, because I picked someone that had done it a gazillion times AND used the most up to date equipment (intralase not microkerotome), no history of f-ups, and my insurance didn't cover it ($3K+ total). That included all the pre and post exams, surgeries, and supplies (except lubing drops that I got dirt cheap at Costco).

Wouldn't trade it for anything, except those new intacts looked intruiging - corneal inserts, very little corneal cutting and no removal of corneal material.

My advice is to go for an exam. The initial one should be free, you'll find out if your even a candidate, and they can answer all your questions.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father who is 83 years young, just had lazer surgery in Dec-Jan, to remove cataracs (splg). Since then his eye site went from 20-200 to 20-25 in both eyes.
    He said prior to the surgery it was like looking through an amber lense the whole time and there were halos around lights at night. Now he has none of those problems and can see things better than he has seen in 15 years.

Moose

"I will follow the path of others some of the time, but most of the time I prefer to make my own path." - Mike Moyle
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what procedure you're looking at. LASIK is the safest and most reliable at the moment. If you are near sighted (myopic) you may continue to need reading glasses. If farsighted, you will not (most likely). Go ahead and get it done (assuming the surgeon gave you a green light). The failure rate is extremely low and correction is always possible down the line if you may need.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • red dogred dog Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for it. I had it done several years ago and it was one of the best things I have ever done in my life. I went from being blind as a bat
    to Eagle Eye[:)] Red Dog
  • verne787verne787 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had lasik one year ago, mostly successful except fot slight double vision, Looking at the night stars i would see two for one.
    They repeated the surgery last week, so far i'm the same but they expect it to correct with time and eye drops. The proceedure is easy
    and quick. Some irritation and sensitivity to light for a few hours.
    The next day almost 100%. EXPENSIVE $2400/eye, West Palm Beach, Fl.

You can't learn any younger!
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried to be cautious & did only one eye at a time. That turned out to be a real hassle. I did the second one in Sept. 2000.
    The procedure is painless with some stink from the burning tissue like when the dentist drills too fast. Some hassle for a few days with the eye protectors you should wear & the eye drops procedure you must follow for I now forget how long.
    The cost for me was $695.00 per eye & that included a follow-up surgery with-in one year if needed. They now advertise a much lower price but for people whose eyes are not as bad as mine were. (20/650)
    My vision is now about 20/30 but I still have an astigmatism & require reading glasses which must be prescription because of the astigmatism. I have no regrets & no other problems.
    Might note that if you have always worn glasses all day long you may have problems loseing your glasses now that you don't need them as much.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the response. I've chosen the Lazik over the PRK. They are using a new generation of Lazik now that uses military targeting computers to make thousands of adjustments in a split second to adjust to each imperfection on the lense. I'm still checking to see if my insurance will cover part of it, if not all under major medical. Either way $3000 would be an excellant invesment if i don't have to give up my iron sighted guns! ONE more question for those that have had it done, do one or both eyes at the same time?
  • verne787verne787 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both

You can't learn any younger!
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Only have one half good eye. Not going to risk it![:(]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I had laser surgury done two years ago and love the results. I say do your research on the staff and the doctor. Then go get it done and never look back. It took less than 15 minutes and 30 to 60 days of eye drops to make sure infection did not set in. 2 follow up visits. My vote is to go for it. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I had it in August. Went from 20-400 to 20-15.

The only problem I had was I didn't pay attention when they explained what medications to take and when. Use the eye numbing drops after the procedure!!!

I have had no problems besides my little goof up.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks again guys, i think i just needed a little push. My boys were already dividing up my guns.Got some bad news for 'em now! And i won't have to memorize the DMV eye test for the D.O.T. exam![:D]
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TRAP --
    I live alone and I still want to put in a vote for BOTH at once -- it's less hassle, and there's very little inconvenience. Even if you need a ride home afterward, and have to put up with eye coverings for a day or so, it's worth it. Go in on Friday, take the weekend to settle in, and you'll be back to work on Monday.

quote:I know of two who had problems due to their eyes were super sensitive to the surgery. The both went back and it worked the second time.

I had touch-up surgeries on both eyes originally to get me from 20/50 down to 20/20, but again, that was because my vision shifted due to swelling, something that lasers offer less of. My doctor advertised "free lifetime touch-ups," but I don't live in L.A. anymore, and besides, he retired and sold the clinic to another group. I imagine the guarantees are more realistic now, but if you don't get perfection for any reason the first time, touch-ups are an option and should be included in the price. Good luck!

P.S. -- Amazing how many people on here have had it done. What we won't do to sight our guns!

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    My sister had this done a year or two ago and claims it wasone of the best decision she made.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    thats one of the first things im going to do once done with school and have a job

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    How come they can correct the distance problem and not the reading problem?

Or should I wait until they can.

I'm glad this came up because I've been thinking a lot about it.

You folks have talked me into it.

I can read fine from around 18" down to around 7". Does that mean I will need reading glasses?
  • red dogred dog Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do both eyes at one time. Find a very experienced doctor and don,t let
    a very cheap price dictate your choice. Red Dog
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shooter4 - you actually have a lense behind the cornea that affects your 'close' vision. As you get older, it gets firmer and less flexible. This is unavoidable, but varies from person to person. This is why we need reading glasses when we get older. LASIK reshapes the cornea. The two have no affect on each other. If you end up needing reading glasses when you get old, LASIK won't stop/help/cause it.

I didn't know that anyone still did that old 'one eye at a time' routine. That used to be when they removed the outer skinlike layer and cut the surface of the cornea. Had to do one at a time because the eye needed to be completely covered while the outer layer healed. Now, they cut a 'flap' and lift it, remove material underneath, then lay it back down. The "C" shaped cut of the flap is all that needs to heal. I had to wear dorky goggle type sunglasses at night and while showering, but was basically back to work Monday after a Friday procedure.

Astigmatism can be fixed, too, but that just adds to the expense.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reason for doing one at a time was in case there was a problem I would still have one good eye. They tell you everything that can go wrong & if that doesn't give you some pause you weren't paying attention.
    I also have diabetes & was concerned that might be a problem although the doctors I talked to said it shouldn't be. If you have diabetes you should try to have your blood sugar as close to 100 as possible when you have your exam & the procedure done as that affects your vision.
    It was a hassle going for three months with one eye so different from the other. (I took the lens out of one side of my glasses.)
    The biggest problem was reading.