In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Passport for Canada and Mex.

SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Since Sept 11th have any laws changed about crossing the border into Canada and Mexico. I've been to Mex 2 dozen times and Canada nearly that many but all before that date. Used to be a drivers license and stamped birth certificate got you in and out, same for Jamaica and the like, any changes? Also I heard from an unreliable source that people are being turned away from the Canadian border if you've had a simple conviction like Driving while intoxicated. Any facts you all can impart would be a big help.

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scrape any gun-related decals off your windows, take off your NRA license plate frame, and don't accidentally have a gun in the car for Canada...

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And especially don't have a gun when going to Mexico. Not even a single round of ammo. You might get turned away or otherwise inconvienced at the Canadian line. In Mexico, you can land in a very ugly prison cell.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About half the time going into Canada they just say "hello" and waive me through on slow crossing days but the other times when they ask for ID they give me the twenty questions especially if I have recentlt purchased a handgun. Coming back home there is usually a rude and intimidating US customs agent to give me the 20 question routine. To be fair I have run into several US custom people who have been somewhat polite.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very true about even one round of ammo in the car in Mexico. You also need Mexican insurance but it is best not to drive in Mexico at all.
    You need more documents to go below a certain point in Mexico.
    In the Baja that line is just below Ensenada. I had my passport when I flew to Puerto Vierto & when I took a cruise to Mexico but I seem to recall that there is a lesser document (probably a birth certificate) that will do.