In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cemetery coins

oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
how many knew this?

While visiting some cemeteries you may notice that headstones marking certain graves have coins on them, left by previous visitors to the grave.

These coins have distinct meanings when left on the headstones of those who gave their life while serving in America's military, and these meanings vary depending on the denomination of coin.

A coin left on a headstone or at the grave site is meant as a message to the deceased soldier's family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect. Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that you visited.

A nickel indicates that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means you served with him in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the solider when he was killed.

According to tradition, the money left at graves in national cemeteries and state veterans cemeteries is eventually collected, and the funds are put toward maintaining the cemetery or paying burial costs for indigent veterans.

In the US, this practice became common during the Vietnam war, due to the political divide in the country over the war; leaving a coin was seen as a more practical way to communicate that you had visited the grave than contacting the soldier's family, which could devolve into an uncomfortable argument over politics relating to the war.

Some Vietnam veterans would leave coins as a "down payment" to buy their fallen comrades a beer or play a hand of cards when they would finally be reunited.

The tradition of leaving coins on the headstones of military men and women can be traced to as far back as the Roman Empire.

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20 years in the service and I had never heard of that.

Where did you hear it?
  • Options
    Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    A day is not complete unless you learn something new, now I can sleep soundly Thanks
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never heard that.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of it either. So much new stuff going on nowadays, like at military funerals where each fold of the flag has a specific meaning, which was not even around prior to the early '70s.
    What's next?
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    I've never heard of it either. So much new stuff going on nowadays, like at military funerals where each fold of the flag has a specific meaning, which was not even around prior to the early '70s.

Only Common cause its posted on the Internet.

PS 20 years too and never heard that before.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    never heard this either,,
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of it. I am one of those guys who loves to trek through old cemeteries (lots of history there) any time I come across one and I can't recall seeing any coins left on veterans markers. I always actively look for veteran markers in order to see in which war was involved.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard this before but will say I recall having seen a penny on a few Veteran markers at nearby Andersonville National Cemetery but didn't know it had any meaning. I will now ask the Superintendent, he should know. [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,932 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I've never heard that.
    Me neither but it is interesting.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Third Army Old Guard stationed at Arlington 76-77 & never heard of this before???

Trinity +++
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like it.
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jewish tradition has leaving small stones on a grave of a loved one. Centuries ago a Jewish person was buried in the sand immediately. The rocks were to protect the body from critters. Now that is done for respect. Flowers were brought about by Christians that offered showings of the departed. Before embalming, the flowers were there to mask the odor.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never heard of the coin tradition. I like it. But, I am familiar with the Jewish custom of placing a symbolic stone on the grave. Anyone watching "Schindler's List" saw that in the final scenes.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    WOW! I have lived within a mile of three huge cemeteries most of my life and never knew of this practice. Im going for a walk today to look for coins. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I visit a lot of cemetaries. My understanding has always been that leaving coins or pebbles on a grave was a sign to show that someone was there, and left something behind. Oldemagics story is interesting. I have never heard that breakdown before, either, but I have seen a lot of pennies on gravestones. Bettter believe that I left them there, too! Even left a few of my own, when the occasion merited.

Dan
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SLING BLADE
    WOW! I have lived within a mile of three huge cemeteries most of my life and never knew of this practice. Im going for a walk today to look for coins. Thanks for sharing.

It's easier than returning bottles...[:0]
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And those of us who never served but enjoy the liberties fought for by the vets should leave a dollar.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    And those of us who never served but enjoy the liberties fought for by the vets should leave a dollar.

Some P.O.S. would steal the dollar. I'll leave a tear or two and go out of my way to always shake a veterans hand and say thank you while he's still alive.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last cemetary I visited had Sgt Major's coin on each service member's head stone.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen rocks placed on the head stones at Arlington Nation cemetary. I know they had a meaning, but I forget what it was. They told us on the tour we took. Does anyone know what the meaning is???