In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Harley with a salvaged title

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
Would you ever buy a bike with a salvaged title? I found a deal on a 2008 heritage softail that was laid on its side they totaled it all the time have been replaced. I can get it for 3000.

Comments

• Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in a wreck that was not to bad. I just had damage on half of the car. So they had to do a lot of body work. They totaled the car and i bought it for 400 dollars.

As long as it drives and rides good i would buy it. You are not out of a lot of money. I would ride it until there is nothing left of it. Then sell it for parts and get your money back.
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at a couple of things first.

One is the frame tab, it is small tab in front of where the lower frame tubes come together near the top. If that looks bent or ripped, then it took some hard stress on one side and may have bent the frame.

Check the stamping on the motor and see if the numbers match the frame, to see if they swapped out the frame.

Have someone watch you ride away on it to make sure it doesn't 'dog track'.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you intend to ride it till the wheels fall off sure.

You will struggle with resale.

Check with your insurance company first and discuss insuring a salvage title bike.

Something more severe that a parking lot drop probably happened.
    I believe 09 and newer Harleys are more desirable in general due to chasis improvements, but I'm not a Harley guy.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    The real question is how does it run and what does it look like. Look real close. But for that price it would make a great bike to turn into a chopper if the frame is bad. But engine and trans need to be in great shape. Also does all electrical work as it should.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    If you intend to ride it till the wheels fall off sure.

You will struggle with resale.

Check with your insurance company first and discuss insuring a salvage title bike.

Something more severe that a parking lot drop probably happened.
    I believe 09 and newer Harleys are more desirable in general due to chasis improvements, but I'm not a Harley guy.

BINGO!
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are the parts worth more than 3G's? You can buy a new frame or part out the bike.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Generally salvaged bikes are very difficult to insure. If your state requires insurance then you might not be able to license it etc.

You might be able to replace the frame and get the bike re-titled, this varies greatly state by state.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The parts alone are worth more then 3K.

Buy a kit bike & place the engine in it.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it to a bike dealer and have it inspected. Take a ride on it and if it isn't hurt or has been repaired, buy it. Show the insurance the inspection from the dealer. If the seller won't let you have it inspected.. run
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Take it to a bike dealer and have it inspected. Take a ride on it and if it isn't hurt or has been repaired, buy it. Show the insurance the inspection from the dealer. If the seller won't let you have it inspected.. run

This is without a doubt your best advice.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its a toy, and resale isn't your concern, and you plan on riding it, I'd check three things:

1. Frame geometry;
    2. Wheels; and
    3. Forks, including steering stem bearings.

The big issue on a Motorcycle is the control; if any of these things are off, you can lose control, develop a tank slapper, and otherwise find yourself in a dangerous situation.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Folded the front end of my '87 1100 Virago in on the door of a Mercedes Benz once.Ins. guy pulls up to my house to look at it on a Gold Wing.. He totaled the bike,gave it to me,free and clear,then proceeded to show me where to get all the parts to fix it for about $1200.
    Got $4800 for the bike and had it running again in 2 weeks.Frame checked0out perfect and with parts and labor cost me less than 1K to fix it.[^]
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bullshot
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire

This is without a doubt your best advice.

I concur, 1000%