In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rusty Staub Dead At 73

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
He started his professional career right here in Houston Texas! Back in the day when baseball was king!I miss those old days now.

serf

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/rusty-staub-beloved-mets-icon-dead-73-article-1.3902929

A prolific hitter, Staub compiled a lifetime .279 average with 2,716 hits, 292 homers, 499 doubles and a major league record-tying 25 pinch hit RBI in 2,951 games over 23 seasons with Houston, the Montreal Expos, Mets, Detroit Tigers and Texas Rangers from 1963-85. In 1983, at age 39 with the Mets, he tied Dave Philley as the only players in baseball history with eight consecutive pinch hits. In addition, Staub and Ty Cobb, Alex Rodriguez and Gary Sheffield are the only four players in history to hit home runs in the majors before turning 20 years old and after turning 40.

Comments

• Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw this and it hit me kind of hard.

Rusty was one of my child hood favorites in MLB.

I still remember playing pepper with him in 1966 while attending a Mets/Astros game in the Astrodome.

He was playing center field, and a bunch of us little leaguers all lined up in the outfield stands to toss the ball back & forth to him. He always took time to share with the kids.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RIP. I watched him ply when he was with the Rangers.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great right fielder. One of my favorite players,