In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sunday Funday range report

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
Spent the morning at the club, taking out my frustration and relaxing a little, by myself. Took the repaired Kimber, M1 Garand, Remington 700 BDL 223 and my custom Ruger 10/22

Kimber: Nothing but problems with feeding. Put the original mag and the one I got from Nunn in it, and both had trouble feeding the first round. Chamber would not close tight. I now think it is the speer lawman ammo. Try again next week with different ammo. Not a gun problem that I see. Worked flawlessly after getting the slide to close.
M1 Garand: was awesome and tore it up all day long. Never a problem with this gun

Remington 700 BDL: Couldn't ask for a more accurate firearms.[;)]

My custom built 10/22: Uh, better than anything Joe could have ever built. Unlike him,[;)] Here is the proof and three witnesses.Yeah, I know I am old, fat and bold, so are you[:D][:D][:D] Oakie

club5.jpg
club6.jpg
club3.jpg
club1.jpg

Here are some of the other guns that the guys were shooting. An M1A in 308....AWESOME sauce. Some AR that this guy built, I like that one and will but it.[;)][^]

club2.jpg

club4.jpg

I offered to buy the M1A in 308 with a SS barrel of the guy right there. We are going to do the deal real soon. He is leaving for vacation, so when he gets home, were hooking up and making it happen. Now i just have to tell my other Garand that a new lady will be living with her. Hope they don't get into a cat fight in the safe and scratch something[:D]

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That looks like an M1A to me Oakie[;)]
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06

Yes it is. I stand corrected. I was talking to my son and typing. You are correct. M1A in 308. He doesn't like the lick and wants to sell. I have to negotiate a price with him. Beautiful gun[;)]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,041 ******
    edited November -1
    Great report,great pictures.[^][^][^][8D][8D][8D]
    Think I already know the answer,but,was the Kimber clean and lubed before hitting the range?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    Think I already know the answer,but,was the Kimber clean and lubed before hitting the range?

Yes Joe, they did that before they sent it back with a note stating that fact. Definitely think it is 110% an ammo problem. Will find out soon enough. Oakie
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,041 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe

Yes Joe, they did that before they sent it back with a note stating that fact. Definitely think it is 110% an ammo problem. Will find out soon enough. Oakie
    Didn't think you would take a dirty gun to the range. I'd be quite aggravated. Yes,try different ammo.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06

Yes it is. I stand corrected. I was talking to my son and typing. You are correct. M1A in 308. He doesn't like the lick and wants to sell. I have to negotiate a price with him. Beautiful gun[;)]

They are nice rifles and that one looks very nice indeed. I never thought of an M1A as recoiling all that bad, they are heavy and gas operated, two factors in reducing recoil, but if doesn't like.......oh well his loss your gain.

I am surprised you have tried so hard to get that Kimber to shoot. It should be functioning at least 95% right out of the box and once it gets broke in at about 300 rds it should be 99.9% with 230gr ball and at least 99.1% with any other factory ammo. Those are expensive guns and I would expect them to shoot on par with their price.
    RLTW

• Options
    ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie is that M1A a National Match model? If it is, they are top of the line and awesome! Then again, all the SA M1A's are awesome. [:)]
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Oakie, you forgot Ugly[;)][:)][:D][8D] Looks like a good day...What ammo were you shooting in the 10/22 ?
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many different brands of ammo did you have to try to get that great group?? One of my 10/22 will do close to that with Ely 10X but there are a couple of brands that look like I'm shooting a shotgun with number 4 buck!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ni hao
    Oakie is that M1A a National Match model? If it is, they are top of the line and awesome! Then again, all the SA M1A's are awesome. [:)]
    Yes it is a national match model. Guy is a competion shooter and he is deadly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    Hey Oakie, you forgot Ugly[;)][:)][:D][8D] Looks like a good day...What ammo were you shooting in the 10/22 ?

It is American Eagle 22 ammo. My guns all love this stuff. Way better then the CCI. The CCI, Remington and Ely will not shoot groups like this out of my 10/22. I was going to enter a Ruger competition with it, until I saw the other shooter. Those guys were great. Now i think I should have entered. Maybe next year. My confidence is not there yet. Been about five years since I shot competition, right before my accident. My hand shakes.......a lot[;)] Once I get the confidence back, I will start shooting in the pistol league again. The last time i shot competitively,I finished third in the state. The year before that, I finished first, two years in a row. Right now, I probably wouldn't even qualify for a placing. Time and practice will tell. It did feel great to shoot this target today. Everything fell in place. This was off hand to. I had the bipod on to take the picture.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81

It is American Eagle 22 ammo. My guns all love this stuff. Way better then the CCI. The CCI, Remington and Ely will not shoot groups like this out of my 10/22. I was going to enter a Ruger competition with it, until I saw the other shooter. Those guys were great. Now i think I should have entered. Maybe next year. My confidence is not there yet. Been about five years since I shot competition, right before my accident. My hand shakes.......a lot[;)] Once I get the confidence back, I will start shooting in the pistol league again. The last time i shot competitively,I finished third in the state. The year before that, I finished first, two years in a row. Right now, I probably wouldn't even qualify for a placing. Time and practice will tell. It did feel great to shoot this target today. Everything fell in place. This was off hand to. I had the bipod on to take the picture.

That is good shooting, get out there and get your confidence back, you should do great.....I will have to get my hands on some American Eagle ammo and try it out in my 10/22 just to see how it does for me.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is some nice pictures as you look cool shooting that Kimber with a hand in the pocket and a shake on the side.
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    That is the best off hand shooting I have ever seen. I with I could do that good off of a bench.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is awesome shooting Oak.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like fun , the Kimber has to pissing in your cheerio's , I hope you get it figured out . nice group with the 22
    I have a M1A "Loaded" as Springfield call it SS barrel and has a few more upgrades from the factory ( bought it here on GB ) there a middle model ? between the standard and the national Match
    let us know how it all works out
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy the AR, I would recommend moving that tripod from the barrel to the forehand if at all possible.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    That is some nice pictures as you look cool shooting that Kimber with a hand in the pocket and a shake on the side.

I had the water. I think it was an ice coffee some guy sat there. Don't do shakes. Diabetic.