In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger has another recall........

HobbyGuyHobbyGuy Member Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
.........besides the SR9. This time it's the LCP (the model they attempted to copy from Kel-Tec). [V]

My neighbor just came by and asked if Kel-Tec had also recalled their P3AT? I told him "no, why?" Then he advised me that he was contacted by the store he purchased his LCP from and they said Ruger is recalling their LCP due to design and/or manufacturing defects. Bummer, but not surprising to me at all.

I just got off the phone with the folks at Kel-Tec and they confirmed there isn't, nor has there ever been any issues with their products. [^]

Jim

Comments

• Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I just got off the phone with the folks at Kel-Tec and they confirmed there isn't, nor has there ever been any issues with their products. [^]

OK. So load a round into the chamber and start dropping it on a hard floor and see if it will NOT go bang. Ruger stands behind their product and that is why they DO have a recall. NO gun should ever be loaded and dropped because it CAN go bang. Ruger just wants to make theirs a little safer for the people who are more careless with their guns. [:p]

Mike
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ..Ruger should correct a recall problem free of charge...any other "problem" YOU may be charged for, what "warranty"?

Here is what you may find in your NIB Ruger paperwork....

"WHY NO WARRANTY CARD HAS BEEN
    PACKED WITH THIS NEW RUGER FIREARM
    The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any
    seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written
    warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be
    designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a
    "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to
    provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to
    attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and
    the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied
    warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As
    the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from
    state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger &
    Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in
    providing service to owners of Ruger firearms."

...How good of them...you will for sure be paying for any phone call to the Co...as they saw fit to drop their toll free numbers too, "so as to be of better service to our customers"...figure that one out...[:D]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Now I really want one.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt - Bill Ruger is long gone and the people in charge of Ruger seem to be interested in the bottom line. Bill must be spinning in his grave.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Spin, conjecture and conspiracy theories is all you've got against Ruger, the "non-warranty" card is the same as the one that came in my 1993-era single six box, and refers to the same law.
    Product safety is paramount with Ruger, and that's the sole reason for the recall. Don't know about the SR9, wouldn't own one with all the other choices out there. As far as having to pay for the call to Ruger; what kinda cheapskates are you?! Buy a $5 calling card and use a payphone like all the other illegal aliens; it works for them!
    Kel-Tec has had many problems with their SU-16 carbines, and they haven't had a recall yet. The PF-9 is also experiencing some reliability issues, but I don't hear folks badmouthing George Kelgren's final resting place or position.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had anything but great service from Ruger; dating back to the '60's and into 2008.
    Warranty work is always fast and free, custom work like installing a steel grip frame on an old single action was fast and VERY reasonably priced.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    A correction is in order....
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Product safety Liability is paramount with Ruger, and that's the sole reason for the recall.Which is also why they chose to permanently mark guns with that goofy safety warning paragraph. For crying out loud, it's a firearm and it spits out bullets - as expected.

Not a fan of how modern day Sturm-Ruger does things.
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't had any problems with any of my Rugers, ever.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I remember Ruger refusing to sell me a magazine larger than 5 rds. for my Mini-14. In my book, that's a problem.

I no longer own it.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Yep, Ruger is BAD for not having a toll-free number to call, and for not selling high capacity mags for their Mini-14.

How many of ya'll have a Mauser in your collection? An AK47?

BOTH of those makers made firearms that have KILLED AMERICANS!

I went to Ruger's website and registered my LCP for the recall repair. I haven't had any problems with it, but will get an extra mag along with the repair. Not a bad deal, imo.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Kel-Tec has had many problems with their SU-16 carbines, and they haven't had a recall yet. The PF-9 is also experiencing some reliability issues

Please provide the source of this information, as I can find nothing about either. However, considering that the SU-16's are the modern day "Papoose" of AR's, does that actually surprise you? I have a PF9 and have experienced zero problems of any kind and it has been well fed. [^]

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In 3 separate articles in National magazines, SOF, G&A, & Peterson's Hunting, have appeared reviews of said firearm whereby the authors (independently) noticed a flaw in the lockup system, the release button, and the fact that opening and closing the rifle causes wear on the mating surfaces that one author opined might cause a failure in the future.
    Your Google isn't working as well as you thought it was. Got warranty?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In 3 separate articles in National magazines, SOF, G&A, & Peterson's Hunting, have appeared reviews of said firearm whereby the authors (independently) noticed a flaw in the lockup system, the release button, and the fact that opening and closing the rifle causes wear on the mating surfaces that one author opined might cause a failure in the future.
    Your Google isn't working as well as you thought it was. Got warranty?

As mentioned above, most consider that particular "weapon" to be an inexpensive (or rather "cheapo") entry into a .223 platform. So no, I didn't even waste my time "googling" it (as you so snidely pointed out). Seeing as this thread was technically directed towards the LCP and/or my remarks of Ruger copying the Kel-Tec P3AT, I felt it was unrelated and unnecessary. If you are able to find negatives about any products from Kel-Tec that are factual and not simply a few whiners on a forum, I would consider it more valid. However, you still have not provided anything for me to reference. [;)]

Better still, provide something "factual" from Kel-Tec acknowledging that any problems exist with any of their firearms. Documentation of a law suit, or similar evidence would also support any factual problems. Short of that, I'm afraid that you're just talking out of your "tail gunner hole." [B)]

Jim
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:.........besides the SR9. This time it's the LCP

well, that's just great.
    I thought they came out of the SR9 recall in good shape and with the LCP selling like hotcakes.....
    so i bought their stock![:0]
    I'll be back after i see how much money i lost....[xx(]
    tom
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kudos for ruger

at least they issued a recall, many companies just ignore it, and may or may not fix those that complain

just because kel-tec has never issues a recall doesn't mean they never had problems
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rebel_James
    Yep, Ruger is BAD for not having a toll-free number to call, and for not selling high capacity mags for their Mini-14.

How many of ya'll have a Mauser in your collection? An AK47?

BOTH of those makers made firearms that have KILLED AMERICANS!Many people these days seem to have either forgotten or remain unaware of Ruger's strong support for the complete ban of certain firearms related items.

Sturm-Ruger actually wrote model legislation prohibiting even mere possession of magazines greater than 15 round capacity and presented this to members of the House and Senate in May of '89. This occurred just prior to them voting on the President's proposed 'Comprehensive Violent Crime Control Act of 1989' (H.R. 2709) in June of that year.

This move was sold to the public by Bill Ruger saying he was concerned that semi-auto rifles would end up being banned outright and this mag capacity retriction was a compromise.

Interestingly, this proposal of their's would have effectively removed the Mini-14's prime competitors - such as the AR15 - from the picture overnight. At the time there were no factory mags manufactured for the AR with less than 20 round capacity, plus all those 20 and 30 rounders people already had would have to be either turned in to the government or detroyed to prevent their owners from becoming felons. [}:)]

Consider too that besides shutting down all those aftermarket manufacturers of mags for their 10/22 this legislation would have also knocked out one of their strongest competitors in the handgun market at the time - Glock.

Sturm-Ruger has a clear track record of using their profits to support destruction of my Constitutional rights in order to line their pockets. They have some well designed guns, but I'm strongly against the way they do things and don't care to give them a nickel of my money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Checkitout Guy; unlike you and apparently a large number of other posters, I subscribe to AND read many magazines which feature articles about guns, and have for about the last 40 years. If it were so unimportant and meaningless for you to have searched for any results online prior to asking your pointedly negative question about recalls; maybe you should turn off the PC and spend some time reading and learning about a subject you know so little about.
    After handing you the keys to the car (metaphorically, of course; 3 instances and the names of the magazines), I'm certainly not going to drive you to the library.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We should have an icon for beating a dead horse and another for double, triple and quadriple posts..... Owned... Read # 3

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=332617

LCP Recall

Ruger has recently received a small number of reports from the field indicating that LCP pistols can discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. We are firmly committed to safety and would like to retrofit all older LCP Pistols. The retrofit involves installation of an upgraded hammer mechanism at no charge to the customer.
    Retrofitted LCP

We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed. Any gun may fire if dropped or struck.

How to determine if your pistol needs the retrofit: All LCP pistols bearing prefix "370" (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected. Newly manufactured and retrofitted "370" prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer as show to the right. Going forward, new pistols will be marked with the serial number prefix "371" (serial number 371-xxxxx). Pistols with the "371" prefix are not affected.

How to arrange to have your pistol retrofitted:
    Step 1 - Contact us and provide your name, address, telephone number and LCP serial number.
    To sign up for the FREE safety upgrade:

Click Here to sign up immediately using the on-line form.

You may also sign up by using any of these alternative methods:
    E-mail: LCPRecall@ruger.com
    Fax: (928) 541-8873
    Phone: LCP Recall Hotline
    1-800-784-3701
    (available Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT)

Step 2 - The new parts are being built and we will retrofit LCP pistols on a first-come, first-served basis as soon as they are available. When we are ready to retrofit your pistol, we will send you a shipping label and package with instructions so you can return your pistol to us FREE of charge.

Step 3 - We will install the new hammer mechanism, plus some other functional upgrades that we added since the LCP's introduction, and return your LCP to you, all FREE of charge. When we do, we also will send you a FREE magazine with the new finger grip extension as a "thank you" for your patience and cooperation. We will make every effort to return your pistol within one week of receipt.

Thank you,
    Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCPRecall/index.html
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sky is falling , the sky is falling.....it hit me on the head[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]